Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
You can drive through a lot of TX and get that impression. But then, what exactly is your impression when driving through CA on I-5? A few pretty spots and hours upon hours of flat, dry, and ugly...
But he is right. I went on several different freeways and it all looked the same, farms, flat and ugly.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
My impression of Texas when I was driving through it was it was flat, dry, and ugly.
It is! What Texans call mountains are actually just hills lol

Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
But he is right. I went on several different freeways and it all looked the same, farms, flat and ugly.
It depends where you go. There's miles and miles of virtually featureless I-5 north of Los Angeles on the way to SF. I'm a desert lover but most of I-15 to Vegas and I-40 to Kingman are dreadfully boring even to desert lovers. I think both states depend on what route you take.

Quote:
It is! What Texans call mountains are actually just hills lol
What do you call the Santa Monica Mountains?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

What do you call the Santa Monica Mountains?
My point was, we have a lot of actual mountains in California. Texas does not. You can't even ski there. How lame is that?

When my friend was stationed in Texas the Army told him not to drink the water from the tap because there was dirt and other chemicals that weren't good for them. They had to get bottled water or a filter.

Have you seen the people during the summer trying to ride "waves" at Galveston? Then you hear some idiot try to say, "it must be a damn Yankee." I'm like no, only someone grime there would swim in that disgusting water.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:47 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
My point was, we have a lot of actual mountains in California. Texas does not. You can't even ski there. How lame is that?
I'm not going to get involved in your silly state vs. state vendetta. I'm sure Texas has its scenic areas and I'll let Texans address that themselves.

The states are different. In some ways one state is better, in other ways the other state is better. It's nice to have two different places so that people can pick for themselves which one they want to live in. Perhaps majorities in both places think they're in the best place, or otherwise they'd move, right?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
MOD CUT If "California is going broke" but Texas isn't then please tell me why both have almost the exact same size deficit. Bare in mind that California's economy is much, much larger then Texas's economy so the deficit as a percentage of GDP is much lower in California then in Texas. Please explain that to me, smart guy.

The problem is half of our country friends from Texas don't even seem to know about this fact even while they post nonsense like what I quoted above. You're living in a glass house, my friend, so maybe you ought to worry about it rather then the financial position of another state which has a much smaller deficit as a percentage of GDP?
First of all, genius, I'm not a guy. To answer your question, CA will go broke because of all the pensions that they MUST pay before everything else.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-07-2010 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: removed offensive wording in source post

Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
They wish it was. It will never be. There is only one California. I've been to Texas. It sucks unless youre into the cowboy, humidity, tornado, bible politics stuff.
you're so silly.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5rIuJPTt0

Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Originally Posted by Footballfreak
They wish it was. It will never be. There is only one California. I've been to Texas. It sucks unless youre into the cowboy, humidity, tornado, bible politics stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
you're so silly.

He is silly, he left out oppressive heat, bugs, obesity and rednecks

Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Newsweek has an interesting story somewhat related to this thread. The Top 10 Places in America Poised for Recovery - Newsweek

Newsweek leans a little to the left, so this is hardly right-wing propaganda. Weather and topography will always keep CA popular. TX was not blessed by mother nature to the extent CA was. That said, it's only logical that other states will seek to exploit CA's higher costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California