U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 AM

11,964 posts, read 11,447,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Texas and California both have good and bad aspects and, while there are definite historical connections between both states, have their own unique cultures.

One should not become the other. Both of our states have things to be proud of.
I agree with this.

I think it is rather funny how footballfreak and others criticize Texas for things that cannot be controlled - geography and weather. There is a reason Texas has a western image - there are lots of ranches and a long heritage of it.

But anyone who has traveled the state (it takes some time) knows that Houston is flat, El Paso is not, and we have some great terrain in central Texas. I live on two acres on a lake with outstanding water quality. I have been moderately successful - but in California I would have to have been VERY successful to live like I do.

Texas just poaches businesses? Does Texas just pluck businesses out of states? I think the ones that come here either start here or come here because they want to sell to Texans or there is another economic reason to do so. Here in Austin, CA-based companies have big facilities - AMD, Applied Materials, etc. - why?

People mention Dell, but what about Compaq? Founded in Houston, but HP had to buy them because HP's server business was lagging. How about Texas Instruments? Many other tech companies are completely homegrown (like Tandem computer) and have been acquired or merged with others. Texas is the #1 energy producer in the US. I think you guys buy some of what we produce. Texas is likely to produce more wind energy than California. Maybe you guys will want to buy some of that too.

It is funny that someone thinks drunk driving is some earth-shattering statistic. Look who's #2? What state do you think would win the contest for most stoned drivers?

Those harping on the budget - keep in mind that the Texas budget is two years, not one. We have $8B in a rainy day fund - we have historically saved money in high tax revenue years - not set our spending levels like you guys do. We have a budget problem, but it will be way easier for us to solve it than it is for California.

I don't think Texas is the new California. I don't think Texans want it to be.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 PM

47,374 posts, read 37,378,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And he still needs a haircut!
i think he thinks he will be another Randy Johnson if he keeps the hair.

Nita

Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM

18,315 posts, read 14,495,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't think Texas is the new California. I don't think Texans want it to be.
Don't blame them, and visa versa. Yet they do share some significant similarities.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,549,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Anyone else see the irony here? The incongruity?
Irony isn't lost on me....however, you know what the say:

Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 PM

16,590 posts, read 18,496,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
just go visit the religion/philosophy sub-forum...
I'll do that about the same time I go to church.

P.S. Don't hold your breath.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:12 PM

24,538 posts, read 14,879,196 times
I don't know if it is or isn't according the the OP, but if it IS then I guess we all know what the future holds for Texas...just look at CA right?

The states are so different though and geography does play a big part in that. Not just the weather and terrain but the people who choose to settle in the various places. Nobody can argue that there isn't more variety of all sorts in CA and that is partially because there are more areas that are "different" in the state than any other state. I can't say for sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but it's the thing I know and wouldn't want to be without. My dad lived in TX for awhile when he was younger and always says he sleeps better knowing the Pacific Ocean is "right over there", it's a simplified way of saying he just isn't comfortable anywhere else and you can't argue with that. Personally, I couldn't live in TX, or a couple other southern states, because of the heat...I don't care how awesome the ecomony is, I wouldn't enjoy life.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:17 PM

16,590 posts, read 18,496,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
California does get good threads.
Yep, and those threads attract the bashers like a fresh, steaming pile of cow **** attracts flies.

Quote:
Texas Rangers in 7!!!
One can only hope. I hate the Giants, by the way.

Quote:
Tim Lincecum went to High School in Texas.
Yawn.

Quote:
He was the pitcher in the Texas seventies set high school movie "Dazed & Confused".
This will probably mean more to me after I finally get around to watching Dazed & Confused. But the chances of that happening are two: slimski and noneski.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:26 PM

18,315 posts, read 14,495,048 times
Default "They're Smoking Weed"

Yep! CA and TX may have similarities but they have their differences too, or not!

"They're Smoking Weed" | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,181,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know if it is or isn't according the the OP, but if it IS then I guess we all know what the future holds for Texas...just look at CA right?

My dad lived in TX for awhile when he was younger and always says he sleeps better knowing the Pacific Ocean is "right over there", it's a simplified way of saying he just isn't comfortable anywhere else and you can't argue with that. Personally, I couldn't live in TX, or a couple other southern states, because of the heat...I don't care how awesome the ecomony is, I wouldn't enjoy life.
I completely agree with this and feel the same way as your dad. I don't know why some people from Texas always have to bring up the economy as if that's going to make me move there. WRONG.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 10-30-2010 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 PM

4,773 posts, read 4,736,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I completely agree with this and feel the same way as your dad. I don't know why some people from Texas always have to bring up the economy as if that's going to make move there. WRONG.
We don't have to bring up the economy. The numbers speak for themselves. Californians have been moving to Texas in DROVES. Not the other way around. Why? Because we have jobs, money, and houses people actually can afford. While your sitting near the pacific ocean and wouldn't DARE to be anywhere else you are also cramped in a $2000 studio apartment that regularly gets furniture dirty from black smog or gets shaken by earthquakes or even gets burned by the Santa Ana winds. Meanwhile that same rent could have paid for a 2 story-5 bedroom home in Texas. Beaches? Corpus Christi & Galveston have incredible beaches. White sand, clean waters, breathtaking and peaceful landscapes, and almost EMPTY. That's been my beach experience in Texas. And I have lived in the state with the best beaches in the world. Florida! The only thing California has us beat by is waves. You have bigger waves. So what. Like I said before CA is congested, jobless, bankrupt, illegally inhabited, morally corrupt, and continuously losing it's middle class families. Everyone knows you get more bang for your buck in Texas. We have a first class living standard and much higher quality of life than California. That's why half of CA natives live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California