Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a job in Austin, TX, a medical device company. For about twice as much money as the recruiters in the Silicon Valley quoted. I had reservations about "going to Texas" based on CA "high and mighty" stereotypes about anybody east of Berkeley.

I went "out there" for an "exploration" for a week and I LIKED IT. Now I am moving there. No income tax, reasonable housing costs, laid back and unpretentious attitudes. And yes, I like Austin's restaurants better as well. Discovered great Brazilian BBQ places. Live music everywhere, rather than the dead urban eateries in the Bay (well besides very few SF places that still practice that forgotten art of live music)

To qualify myself - I've been in the hight tech industry CA, South Bay area (Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara) for over 15 years.

CA has truly turned to crap in my professional and personal experience. And I am truly sad about it because this state has so much to be great, but it aint' now... or further on what with the governors... and just the entire "gimme gimme" attitude. Ca has become a bum state just like the 3rd of its inhabitants.

How the mighty have fallen...

Last edited by wellyouknow; 10-30-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
I've noticed some postings in regards to how good the CA university systems still are in comparison to those of other states.
That may be true, but only due to the fact that the "weed-out" tactics are quite effective.
They want the best-of-the-best, not punk kids who are there to drag everyone else down with them.

As far as the CA community colleges go, they're still maintaining their status as a post high school daycare center.
If we all want CA to be truly great again, focus should be placed on education at all levels and giving most of those that want to succeed a better chance.

However, that's not likely to happen if these class-sizes keep increasing and school semesters continue to get shortened.
Parents and adults wanting better education for their kids or themselves will also flee in search of institutions that don't resemble a crowded nuthouse.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
As far as the CA community colleges go, they're still maintaining their status as a post high school daycare center.
There are some good ones out there. Examples: Saddleback CC has a Nursing program that's one of the best (and very hard to get into), and Pasadena CC is an excellent all 'round CC. Not sure about anything out here in the IE/HD.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,993 times
Why do people talk about a state's geography as if the state legislature had something to do with it? In the grand scheme of geological history, never-mind. Point is, Texas' geography is not the way it is because it is called Texas and California's geography is not the way it is because it is called California. If you want to get technical, the borders of Texas once extended into the Rockies of what is present day Colorado. I have lived in California and Texas...love them both.

Anyway, I don't understand these pissing contests that people in this country have when discussing the different states. I have never understood the concept of one being jealous of another state. The way I see it is quite simple, I'm an American. Therefore, as an American citizen, I am entitled to travel freely throughout and live in all 50 states. Why nitpick and fight over this or that section of the country when the whole thing is ours? If you're not happy with the state in which you live...there are 49 others to choose from. Go for it!

For the sake of fairness, since there are a number of beautiful photos of different areas of California posted on this thread, below are beautiful photos of different areas of Texas as opposed to the stereotypical scenery:

Forest in East Texas:

Central Texas Hills:

Padre Island Surfers:

Fall in Uptown Dallas:

Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
There are some good ones out there. Examples: Saddleback CC has a Nursing program that's one of the best (and very hard to get into), and Pasadena CC is an excellent all 'round CC. Not sure about anything out here in the IE/HD.
Well, if it's those, or out-of-state, I'm game again as long as there's decent student/instructor ratio and the tutoring resources are plentiful.

As far as the HD goes, I now consider it an overcrowded, small town with a majority population of urban/suburban rejects and their evil offspring.

But that's what you get when everything cool is at least a 30 mile drive away.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
I was just offered a job in Austin, TX, a medical device company. For about twice as much money as the recruiters in the Silicon Valley quoted. I had reservations about "going to Texas" based on CA "high and mighty" stereotypes about anybody east of Berkeley.

I went "out there" for an "exploration" for a week and I LIKED IT. Now I am moving there. No income tax, reasonable housing costs, laid back and unpretentious attitudes. And yes, I like Austin's restaurants better as well. Discovered great Brazilian BBQ places. Live music everywhere, rather than the dead urban eateries in the Bay (well besides very few SF places that still practice that forgotten art of live music)

To qualify myself - I've been in the hight tech industry CA, South Bay area (Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara) for over 15 years.

CA has truly turned to crap in my professional and personal experience. And I am truly sad about it because this state has so much to be great, but it aint' now... or further on what with the governors... and just the entire "gimme gimme" attitude. Ca has become a bum state just like the 3rd of its inhabitants.

How the mighty have fallen...
Persanlly I think you are making a wise choice. Austin, is more liberal than the rest of Texas, but certainly not like San Francisco. You have San Antonio just down the road, you do have some mountains though not Ca ones. The people are friendly, if you are a sports fan you will have great college and pro teams and lots of neat things to do. There are some nice restaurants in Austin.

Probably the worst thing will be adjusting to the horribly hot and humid summers, but Austin isn't nearly as bad as Houston or even Dallas.

Nita

Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
California beats Texas hands down when it comes to arts and culture.

In Hollywood, you can go out every night of the week and hear at least 10 different bands. Try doing that in most cities in the USA.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:49 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
California beats Texas hands down when it comes to arts and culture.

In Hollywood, you can go out every night of the week and hear at least 10 different bands. Try doing that in most cities in the USA.
It's called Austin, TX. The music capital of the south. And you said try doing that in most cities in the USA?! LOL!! Then what's New York City, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Miami?!!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's called Austin, TX. The music capital of the south. And you said try doing that in most cities in the USA?! LOL!! Then what's New York City, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Miami?!!
Ugh, you beat me to it. This guy is the typical provincial Californian. We just love to show off how worldly we are, only to spew dumb at every turn.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:01 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You can't do it in Miami. I doubt you can do it in Austin -- but if you can point out two clubs that offer 5 bands in a night (not Friday or Saturday), I'll believe you.

I'm talking 10 bands between two nightclubs you can walk back and forth between ON A SUNDAY, MONDAY, TUESDAY NIGHT -- and I'm only talking Hollywood. If you want to talk about the entire LA area, you can hear hundreds of bands in a night if you can clone yourself.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California