Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 PM

93 posts, read 227,332 times

Advertisements

Plenty of petty stereotypes being thrown around by both sides of this "discussion".

Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,102,321 times
What about Texas' budget deficit? At $18+ billion (2 years), it's almost as high as California's. How are they going to pay for it? Eliminate capital gains taxes like Meg wants to do? Or have they already eliminated them?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Know a few Californians that moved to Texas... some to retire, some for work and others that moved their business...

Almost all are staying... one did come back because she just couldn't take living inside with A/C during the summer and her Property Tax and Electric Bills were quite high...

So... yes, for some Texas is the New California

Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Know a few Californians that moved to Texas... some to retire, some for work and others that moved their business...

Almost all are staying... one did come back because she just couldn't take living inside with A/C during the summer and her Property Tax and Electric Bills were quite high...

So... yes, for some Texas is the New California
Yup. Their property taxes are very high compared to California.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
My best friend moved to CA from TX when her kids were tiny, for a job relo. She won't go back. Sorry, it's a personal decision and for everyone and it's made based on many things... but if all things were equal money wise then there wouldn't even be a discussion here....CA is preferable to most folks, just not as affordable. Because whatever you like about TX you can find something close in CA, but not visa verse.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Truth in advertising. Their property tax rates are high in comparison but the cost/valuation of the houses is significantly less than in CA and TX has no state income tax. They have to get their revenue from somewhere.

By the way, I was stationed in TX twice and didn't like it either time or place.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:12 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That is the biggest problem with Texas, that and humidity, but they pay no state income tax which offsets the property taxes.

Ceece, I agree with you about a personal choice, most things we do in live are choices, but I don't totally agree on your views about anything you can find in Texas you can find close by in Ca but not visa versa. The states and for the most part, the surrounding states are so very different this just isn't the case.

I do not necessarily think one state is better than the other. I see both as being great and both with problems.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,489,270 times
I've lived in both Texas and California. In fact I've been to most parts of both states, and have different degrees from colleges in both states. Stereotypes are for small minds and charles and football freak could compete for the smallest ones.

California has nicer cities than Texas. SF and LA are special but LA's traffic is the worst.

California has the University of California Berkeley ( and UCLA) Berkeley is the best public college in the world, although the University of Texas with lots of oil money is catching up.

Texas has some beautiful small towns. I live in Rockport 55 ft from the ocean. There is no pollution,almost no crime and everyone is pro environment - no polluting industry is allowed here. ON the other hand they vote GOP. I define traffic as when I hear a car outside stop and yell "Dustmop will you please move over???? " Ok my doggie likes to nap in the middle of the street. More boats go by than cars.

El Paso is also a fun town but looks dusty from the highway.

Texas is also more conservative and there is more religion preached in the small towns. I hate preaching.

California is much more expensive. The real estate taxes are higher and they have a state income tax. My lot on the ocean 70 x140 would cost about $175k and I have two lots together. In Cal it would cost much more.

California has places with much better weather unless you like hot weather.

Here's a picture I took from my deck as the sun was about to rise. 1000's of black ducks and a few other varieties. Dolphins visit too, but do not stop and play.

CITY DATA can't upload my picture and i don't have time to play around and RESIZE it. Here's a much crappier one of a cloudy day on the ocean.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is the biggest problem with Texas, that and humidity, but they pay no state income tax which offsets the property taxes.
Yes but I think for most Texans that helps pay for property taxes, it doesnt completely cover them tho.

But good point nonetheless.

On a sidenote, I actually don't mind paying 10% to the CA state income tax. For me the problem I have is paying 35% to the federal govt. I would prefer to pay 35% to Sacramento(where I know for sure the money is spent in state) and 10% to DC.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
California is much more expensive. The real estate taxes are higher and they have a state income tax. My lot on the ocean 70 x140 would cost about $175k and I have two lots together. In Cal it would cost much more.
As far as property taxes, TX is higher than CA.

And er, TX doesnt have oceanfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California