Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Parents warned about candy laced w/ marijuana
by Darsha Philips

MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Los Angeles County officials issued a warning for parents to be extra careful for Halloween, because tainted treats may end up in a child's trick-or-treat bag.

Three children in Huntington Beach were hospitalized last week after eating what looked like ordinary cookies, but the treats were laced with marijuana.

Officials said the laced products were sold in marijuana dispensaries and could be circulating around.

"These lollipops, candy bars, they look pretty legitimate. The problem is if it gets in the wrong hands and a kid licks a lollipop, they get ill or intoxicated," said Cpt. Ralph Ornelas of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
This is one of the most blatantly manipulative acts I've seen from government officials in a long time. The timing of this warning and Proposition 19 Legalization of Marijuana is not coincidental. They're obviously taking advantage of public worry combined with the impending election date.

Considering the matter, they are warning mostly of products purchased at California's legal medical marijuana dispensaries. One would think these products are rather expensive, IMO too expensive for somebody to buy them and then hand them out for free at their front door. Too expensive!

Consider also that if prescription marijuana candy does get handed out that the police are likely to receive reports and likely to attempt to trace back where the tainted stuff came from, likely subjecting anybody handing out marijuana candy to legal prosecution.

This just does not satisfy my BS meter! This Sheriff's Department announcement is blatant campaigning against Proposition 19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Almost made me want to go trick or treating this year.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Almost made me want to go trick or treating this year.
Me too

Old 10-30-2010, 01:26 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Who lets their kids eat homemade "treats" anymore? I wouldn't. In fact, my kids have never received any. Even back when I was going out I only got homemade things from friends and family, not random strangers. Nothing with mj in it is going to look like a snickers bar or tootsie roll, and if people can't see the difference then life is their enemy, not mj. You can't cure stupid.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
I wonder why I was still hungry after eating those Halloween cookies at work the other day.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
idiot Sheriff, warnings against eating trick-or-treat candy that isn't in a factory wrapper has been around for decades

Old 10-30-2010, 04:52 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
idiot Sheriff, warnings against eating trick-or-treat candy that isn't in a factory wrapper has been around for decades
I always wondered though about candies like tootsie rolls and funny enough "Mary Janes", that are just wrapped in wax paper. Easy to rewrap.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:15 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This is one of the most blatantly manipulative acts I've seen from government officials in a long time. The timing of this warning and Proposition 19 Legalization of Marijuana is not coincidental. They're obviously taking advantage of public worry combined with the impending election date.

Considering the matter, they are warning mostly of products purchased at California's legal medical marijuana dispensaries. One would think these products are rather expensive, IMO too expensive for somebody to buy them and then hand them out for free at their front door. Too expensive!

Consider also that if prescription marijuana candy does get handed out that the police are likely to receive reports and likely to attempt to trace back where the tainted stuff came from, likely subjecting anybody handing out marijuana candy to legal prosecution.

This just does not satisfy my BS meter! This Sheriff's Department announcement is blatant campaigning against Proposition 19.
I saw that on our local t.v. station this morning and about laughed my arse off. I thought the very same thing you did. The idea of it being handed out at Halloween is highly unlikely. No pot smoker is going to give away their smoke in any form. Just one lollypop is more than a bag of candy. I think most of the marijuana candy products run around $7-8. Let's see... last year we had 65 kids at our door. That would be about $450.00. Hmmm... no.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:47 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,038 times
Trick or Weeeeeeed!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Would have made for an awesome scene in a Cheech and Chong Movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California