Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,502,350 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tK6...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,961,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Byfield View Post
I am visiting Chico. For the first few weeks I stayed lived with family. I felt like I was living in paradise (not the town the state of being). All of a sudden the beautiful skies, my living environment and my being was constantly being inundated with the acrid, obnoxious odor of Meth. At first I thought there was something wrong with my senses.

How can that many people be using something so outrageously stupid, toxic and dangerous (I've been struck by the odor in public restrooms, Costco, public parking lots, and more importantly I decided to rent an apartment-what a mistake!).

Convinced that it had to be an odd convergence of events, I went back to the stomping grounds of my family and the smell was gone. I spent a few days recuperating and then went back to my apartment. I was dismayed to find that the stench within my apartment is now enough to "gag a maggot".

I have reported the problem to the landlord, apartment manager, police and Better Business Bureau but everyone's take on the situation is that I am the problem (don't kill the messenger!)

Is the use of meth so common in Chico that it no longer warrants any reaction by inhabitants or police alike? Do the inhabitants of this pretty place assume that if those chronically exposed and get sick or die don't warrant notice or intervention because "everyone does meth"?

Or is the complacency of this community based upon a profit motivation. After all, the city's economy is based larger on college students. If you pull from the vast number of students in the United States looking for university where studying runs a far second to drug use; the resulting influx of money into the community surrounding the college must be support an awful lot of community leaders, organizations and legitimate and illigetimate organizations.

I was hoping to move here and I was going to look for a more permanent residence in the next few months. Now I'm worried that I will suffer from chronic toxic exposure and the criminal and bizarre behaviors chronic drug use inspires in those who use.

Could some longer term residents please explain the prevalent tolerance of toxi drug use to me? I'm sure there may be areas that are not so tolerant in Chico. I'd like to find out where they are. If I can understand it, perhaps I will be able to live with it. I hate to give up living near my family and enjoying the beautiful weatherand scenery of this lovely place.

I've lived other places in the midwest and western United States and I've never experienced drug use and tolerance to this degree anywhere else.

Ann
No. The cops will respond, I'm not sure what you are doing wrong.
My eldest just graduated from Chico State and, although she knew a few people who abused drugs, managed to avoid what you are describing without even trying for several years. Sounds like you just drew some bad neighbors. But way to generalize at the end there. Meth is a problem in most small towns.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
I guess she missed the whole "meth devastating the Heartland" stuff of the past 8 or 10 years.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:44 PM

876 posts, read 1,791,356 times
Quote:
I am visiting Chico. For the first few weeks I stayed lived with family. I felt like I was living in paradise (not the town the state of being). All of a sudden the beautiful skies, my living environment and my being was constantly being inundated with the acrid, obnoxious odor of Meth. At first I thought there was something wrong with my senses.

How can that many people be using something so outrageously stupid, toxic and dangerous (I've been struck by the odor in public restrooms, Costco, public parking lots, and more importantly I decided to rent an apartment-what a mistake!).

Convinced that it had to be an odd convergence of events, I went back to the stomping grounds of my family and the smell was gone. I spent a few days recuperating and then went back to my apartment. I was dismayed to find that the stench within my apartment is now enough to "gag a maggot".

I have reported the problem to the landlord, apartment manager, police and Better Business Bureau but everyone's take on the situation is that I am the problem (don't kill the messenger!)

Is the use of meth so common in Chico that it no longer warrants any reaction by inhabitants or police alike? Do the inhabitants of this pretty place assume that if those chronically exposed and get sick or die don't warrant notice or intervention because "everyone does meth"?

Or is the complacency of this community based upon a profit motivation. After all, the city's economy is based larger on college students. If you pull from the vast number of students in the United States looking for university where studying runs a far second to drug use; the resulting influx of money into the community surrounding the college must be support an awful lot of community leaders, organizations and legitimate and illigetimate organizations.

I was hoping to move here and I was going to look for a more permanent residence in the next few months. Now I'm worried that I will suffer from chronic toxic exposure and the criminal and bizarre behaviors chronic drug use inspires in those who use.

Could some longer term residents please explain the prevalent tolerance of toxi drug use to me? I'm sure there may be areas that are not so tolerant in Chico. I'd like to find out where they are. If I can understand it, perhaps I will be able to live with it. I hate to give up living near my family and enjoying the beautiful weatherand scenery of this lovely place.

I've lived other places in the midwest and western United States and I've never experienced drug use and tolerance to this degree anywhere else.

Ann
I live in Chico and I have no idea what your talking about. I have never smelled this odor you describe and judging from your post your acting like it's all over town. How do you know it's even meth? You sound paranoid!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:49 PM

I'm not smelling meth, I'm smelling a drive-by poster with a big old ax to grind.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:40 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,263,750 times
I've spent a lot of time in Chico and I haven't seen a meth problem there.

Maybe out in Oroville and Palermo, but not Chico.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:17 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,914,432 times
Hey - wasn't there a sitcom in the 70's called 'Chico and the Man'?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM

4,858 posts, read 7,565,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Chico and I haven't seen a meth problem there.

Same here. And how would you smell it in a costco bathroom? OP's probably smelling lysol.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,768,629 times
Quote:

Ann
CA Prop. 99...legalize Meth. coming to your ballots soon.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hey - wasn't there a sitcom in the 70's called 'Chico and the Man'?
I think it was Chico and the Meth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California