Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ARea is better/ more lively in California?
L.A. Area 11 33.33%
San Diego Area 13 39.39%
San Francisco 17 51.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Downtown LA is the premier wholesale shopping area of the entire West Coast. Its not a place for uppity boutiques--for that you can go to the Westside or the suburbs. I appreciate all the residential development going on in Downtown LA because they are attracting counter-culture monied types who will assist in transforming DT LA into a mecca for edgier types which will be reflected new kinds of restaurants and nightclubs in LA-its already happening. I LOVE the Disney Concert Hall(SO JEALOUS).

LA has the best collection of museums on the West Coast(I can never get enough of them), and I would say only NY and possibly DC compare in that aspect. LA has cultural amenities rivaled by nowhere except NYC. LA is a party town and a place to get lost, LA can be laid back and hurried at the same time. LA can be high class and no class depending on what your looking for. You can drive to Inner LA(Downtown, Westside) and be in the thick of it and then retreat to the coast and feel like your in a resort far from urban cares.

That ability to enjoy the best of man and nature is something that urban Californians have been blessed with, be it LA, SD or SF. I really like that.

Anyway, Downtown LA shouldnt be held to a different standard because most downtowns suck royally-at least Downtown LA is very vibrant unlike 90% of the downtowns out there that only seem busy during lunch hour. LOL

Anyway, you can't assume that just because there are a lot of hispanics, that LA is overrun by illegals. That's not fair.
Excellent post, especially the part about nature. All three of these areas offer not only different urban settings, but the nature around them is also very distinct and unique, take it from a nature nut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Downtown LA is the premier wholesale shopping area of the entire West Coast. Its not a place for uppity boutiques--for that you can go to the Westside or the suburbs. I appreciate all the residential development going on in Downtown LA because they are attracting counter-culture monied types who will assist in transforming DT LA into a mecca for edgier types which will be reflected new kinds of restaurants and nightclubs in LA-its already happening. I LOVE the Disney Concert Hall(SO JEALOUS).

LA has the best collection of museums on the West Coast(I can never get enough of them), and I would say only NY and possibly DC compare in that aspect. LA has cultural amenities rivaled by nowhere except NYC. LA is a party town and a place to get lost, LA can be laid back and hurried at the same time. LA can be high class and no class depending on what your looking for. You can drive to Inner LA(Downtown, Westside) and be in the thick of it and then retreat to the coast and feel like your in a resort far from urban cares.

That ability to enjoy the best of man and nature is something that urban Californians have been blessed with, be it LA, SD or SF. I really like that.

Anyway, Downtown LA shouldnt be held to a different standard because most downtowns suck royally-at least Downtown LA is very vibrant unlike 90% of the downtowns out there that only seem busy during lunch hour. LOL

Anyway, you can't assume that just because there are a lot of hispanics, that LA is overrun by illegals. That's not fair.
I don't assume, I know it is overrun by illegal alien Mexicans and their families. Some of them are my blood.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
Quote:

In bold, uh what? If you were to combine all the art museums in California it still wouldn't even compare to the Met alone.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I don't assume, I know it is overrun by illegal alien Mexicans and their families. Some of them are my blood.
You know your experience, but that's not the norm.

The overwhelming vast majority of Hispanics in Los Angeles are either US citizens or naturalized residents.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
In bold, uh what? If you were to combine all the art museums in California it still wouldn't even compare to the Met alone.
Perhaps, but after NYC, can any city compare to LA's museums except possibly DC?

I dont think so.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
You know your experience, but that's not the norm.

The overwhelming vast majority of Hispanics in Los Angeles are either US citizens or naturalized residents.
It not just my experiance it's a fact:

Study: Number of illegal immigrants drops for first time in two decades - The Daily Breeze

The study released Wednesday estimates that 11.1 million illegal immigrants lived in the U.S. in 2009. That represents a decrease of roughly 1 million, or 8 percent, from a peak of 12 million in 2007.

In California, the decline from 2008 to 2009 was 4 percent, but the state is still home to nearly a quarter of the nation's population of illegal immigrants.

The study also says illegal immigrants now comprise 6.9 percent of California's population - the highest percentage in the country.

Despite the decline, Los Angeles County officials said they have seen an increase in the costs of providing services to undocumented immigrants and in the number of citizen children of undocumented parents receiving food stamps and welfare benefits.

The amount of money the county spends on health, welfare and criminal justice services for undocumented immigrants increased from $1 billion in 2008 to $1.4 billion in 2009, according to figures provided by county Supervisor Mike Antonovich. By including the education costs for the children of undocumented immigrants, said Antonovich spokesman Tony Bell, said the annual costs now exceed $2 billion.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
The study also says illegal immigrants now comprise 6.9 percent of California's population - the highest percentage in the country.
Even if this is true, that does not constitute "OVERRUN".

2.6 Million out of 38 Million is much less than Im sure many are thinking.

Also, the study says the the number of illegals in the US is actually down.

Furthermore, I am wholeheartedly against Illegal Immigration-its wrong and we need to deal with the border ASAP.

But I don't think we need to get swept away by paranoia and fearmongering(not talking about you btw)-what's done is done. Now we need to come up with realistic solutions to the problem at hand and prevent it from getting worse.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Even if this is true, that does not constitute "OVERRUN".

2.6 Million out of 38 Million is much less than Im sure many are thinking.

Also, the study says the the number of illegals in the US is actually down.

Furthermore, I am wholeheartedly against Illegal Immigration-its wrong and we need to deal with the border ASAP.

But I don't think we need to get swept away by paranoia and fearmongering(not talking about you btw)-what's done is done. Now we need to come up with realistic solutions to the problem at hand and prevent it from getting worse.
No fear here with this Chicano, I just present the facts. This state is home to a Quarter of all the US illegal aliens. That would qualify as "OVERRUN" in any dictionary. Ask LA county residents if they want their 2 billion dollars back. You can minimize this situation all you want. The facts remain this state is infested with illegal aliens.

Here is the actually study. Try not to focus on the title again. It's the meat that counts.
http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/126.pdf

Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
I met a former Angelino yesterday who moved to SD from LA and he said people down here are nowhere near as materialistic as folks in LA and San Francisco. He said he got so tired of the snobby attitude of residents that he just couldn't take it anymore so he moved down here to SD. He said that he finds people down here more genuine and friendly then those in LA and SF.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
No fear here with this Chicano, I just present the facts.
The fact is the number of illegal immigration is down. That is a fact according to your own source.

Quote:
This state is home to a Quarter of all the US illegal aliens. That would qualify as "OVERRUN" in any dictionary.
No, not really. I think you need to find a better dictionary.

Quote:
Ask LA county residents if they want their 2 billion dollars back. You can minimize this situation all you want. The facts remain this state is infested with illegal aliens.
Well deporting them isnt going to get your 2 Billion dollars back is it?

Why don't we send the felons back and make everyone else pay a fine and then put them on a path to legal status?

And then make secure the border like its a prison? I don't mind doing that to be honest.

Quote:
Here is the actually study. Try not to focus on the title again. It's the meat that counts.
http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/126.pdf
Why would I discredit the title of this study? Pew is one of the foremost polling and survey organizations in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California