Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 04:48 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times

Advertisements

how bad are the rents THERE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 04:56 PM

68 posts, read 310,023 times
Look at craiglist and you will see how expensive the rents are in Santa Monica. I lived there for 7 years in a rent control apartment, but the rent is very expensive.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
*attempts to breathe again*
o.k., so here's a question: what main lines of work are the locals in, which permit them to afford rents of that caliber?

Old 04-22-2007, 10:34 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
o.k., so here's a question: what main lines of work are the locals in, which permit them to afford rents of that caliber?
Being a ginormous city, there are a plethora of employment opportunities. Santa Monica residents run the gamut of careers. What do you like to do?

Old 04-22-2007, 10:37 PM

157 posts, read 828,649 times
Hi

We rented in Santa Monica for years. The rent control helped, of course, but the trade-off was that we were expected to pay for all of the up-keep in the apartment. We paid to paint it, clean the carpets etc. Several of the Santa Monica landlords, when we were looking, also expected us to pay to put in new carpet when we moved in and pay for fresh paint. They said that that was the trade-off for the lower (still not low LOL) rent. Despite this, we were very happy there for many years, and it was nice to know that the rent couldn't skyrocket.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
Well, the majority of the residents in Santa Monica are highly educated(meaning more than 55% have a bachelors degree). Therefore, you won't see them doing housekeeping or working at Jack in the Box!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:31 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,779 times
Living in this general area, I must say that Santa Monica and basically all the neighborhoods on the westside are for the wealthy. If you are not wealthy or interested in moving in that direction, there is really no reason to try to move here as a normie, unless you intend to stay a brief period of time and move elsewhere that is more affordable.

This area is nearly unaffordable for many millionaires/multimillionaires so it kills me when people that actually don't have a lot of money whine about not being able to live here. Kind of like me whining about the price of a Ferrari and how they are so overpriced and dang it there should be a coupon or government program so I can buy one. (God forbid that man or woman who works 24/7 and suffers fools on a regular basis for their very large consistent paycheck shall own the extravagence that they have worked hard for--however they have--maybe they have a wealthy family, but they have to tolerate all that comes with that too.) I satisfy myself instead with buying what I can afford a Ford or a Toyota or maybe even a hybrid if I am environmentally inclined.

Are Santa Monica rents expensive? Hell yeah! The people that rent them too are some of the most talented, educated, driven, or even just chill but have some trust fund to fund their apartment. Yes too is the occasional left over of yesteryear, that lives in a rent controlled apartment and has no job as they live on disability (NOT disabled--no attack on real disabled folks here--!) as they go around without a job whining about how expensive it is and how screwed it is that they may one day take away their home from rent control, while they spends hundred or dollars on the local salons getting their hair and nails done, before picking up that government check. This is reality on the westside. If you have money then maybe think of purchasing some real estate over here. If you have limited income, then maybe get a short term lease here, enjoy it while you can, then move where you can truly afford and take the memories with you. That is what I did with the last Mazurati I drove in. I enjoyed the ride, knowing I would not be owning one, but it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the ride, in fact, it may have very well enhanced it. There is great wealth here. It does not bode well for the questioning of it for long. It is what drives the westside.

The place is amazing. Only the wealthiest eventually will be able to live here. Just the truth as I have found it.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 04-23-2007 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Added content detail

Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 AM

11 posts, read 32,524 times
check westsiderentals.com that should answer your?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: