U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 13,573 times

Advertisements

I am a single, middle-aged Afro-American female nurse who is currently located in Arcadia, CA. My work requires me to relocate every 13 weeks.
Because of the frequent moves I really don't get to know the community well. I really like my current location and being so close to Pasadena. I would like to find some places to socialize. I like jazz, gospel, R&B and classical music. I am interested in learning photography--a class or just some nice spots to start taking pictures. I like to dance and am really interested in learning some Latin dances. I am really looking for a place to worship also (Baptist).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 12:27 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,545,588 times
You may want to try Descanso Gardens for photography and relaxation. Look it up on line first. What kind of work is it that you move every 13 weeks? That's gotta be a drain. And how far afield does your job take you?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:46 AM

179 posts, read 841,227 times
there are a lot of latin and jazz clubs in arcadia and pasadena and gelndale. Just pick up the flyers that are all over the place.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:44 AM

I am a travel nurse. I can take assignments in any state once I obtain licensure, but I would like to concentrate on the CA area especially Pesadena/Arcadia/Glendale areas--there are lots of hospital here. Some contracts can extend past 13 weeks, even years. So far I am not drained...I call each assignment "an adventure".

Old 07-07-2007, 11:07 AM

Haven't seen any flyers. Wanted specifics. Thanks anyway.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:30 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,545,588 times
Does travel nurse mean you fly with sick people? Sorry to ask such questions, but I've never heard of it before, 13 week assignments. Then again, I'm not all-knowing, others can take credit for such abilities. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 55,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
You may want to try Descanso Gardens for photography and relaxation. Look it up on line first. What kind of work is it that you move every 13 weeks? That's gotta be a drain. And how far afield does your job take you?
I love Descanso Gardens! I went there with my father and nieces there recently and we had such a relaxing time. All the vegation and creeks were really neat and educational for the girls. My nieces got a kick out of taking the little train ride around the gardens.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:50 PM

We are contracted by hospitals or other healthcare agencies throughout the US to offset the nurse shortage at that facility. The advantages are; the facility can provide continuity of care to their clients and we get to see the country. We have good benefits, but we do not accumulate vacation or sick time. We have the option to extend our contracts past 13 weeks as long as there is a need or move on to a need facility. I look forward to visiting Descanso Gardens.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:55 PM

16 posts, read 81,437 times
Check out Old Town Pasadena.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:46 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,278,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevann View Post
I am a single, middle-aged Afro-American female nurse who is currently located in Arcadia, CA. My work requires me to relocate every 13 weeks.
Because of the frequent moves I really don't get to know the community well. I really like my current location and being so close to Pasadena. I would like to find some places to socialize. I like jazz, gospel, R&B and classical music. I am interested in learning photography--a class or just some nice spots to start taking pictures. I like to dance and am really interested in learning some Latin dances. I am really looking for a place to worship also (Baptist).
Hey, BevAnn!

I met another travel nurse up in WA when we stayed in an RV park while visiting family. I think it's fascinating and really admire what you do!

I think I may have a church referral for you! I was excited when I read your first post here because I happened to visit a church in Monrovia that seems like a great fit! If I remember correctly, it is called 2nd Baptist Church. Here's their contact info (as found at anywho.com) so you can call for more information:

Second Baptist
925 S Shamrock Ave
Monrovia, CA 91016
(626) 359-6355

Here's my story of how I know of it. First of all, I should tell you that if it is the one I think it is, it is predominantly african american. I know you didn't say that is what you are looking for but I thought you might like to know it anyway. I happen to be a white woman who was there to share with the church about an award that one of the children had earned in our public school ministry and to present it to her in front of them.

I had never been in a church like this before and came away so impressed that I still talk about it sometimes. It was a good sized church and yet, they seemed like such a tight knit family and their support of their children was "off the charts"! Everyone was friendly and welcoming there so I can't imagine not suggesting it to you as a potentially wonderful and warm place to visit. If you want any more information, please feel free to write me a private message.

I sure hope I've helped! I pray God will bless you and lead you!

MrsG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or