U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 PM

40 posts, read 211,054 times
Default Where in the mountains in CA would you raise small children?

Preferably a smaller town, near a hospital, good schools, but small.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 PM

95 posts, read 284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleNurseMom View Post
Preferably a smaller town, near a hospital, good schools, but small.

Any ideas?
California is a very large state-could you be a little more specific? there are mountains on the coast,desert,and all over the east,north,and south side.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 PM

Well,in the area where I live,close to the central Sierra Mountains. I'd say Three Rivers or Springville are good choices. They are small,friendly towns and not terribly far away from cities that have more amenities to offer. I'd try a Google search of them,it might be what you are looking for without getting more input on climate or area from your request. Good luck

Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,583,926 times
You know what mountain town I like is Oakhurst, near Yosemite.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 PM

5,627 posts, read 9,993,197 times
Truckee's nice.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 PM

Default More specifically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.andMrs.Krinkle View Post
California is a very large state-could you be a little more specific? there are mountains on the coast,desert,and all over the east,north,and south side.
Yes, I love the green mountainous areas with a cooler climate than the central valley (it was 108 in Sacramento today, 111 in Redding). I am open to anything like that, whether in the Sierras, up north, or on the coast, but not in the hot desert. But I have 4 elementary-age children, so I need a place that would be good to raise them in (with a hospital to work at because I am a nurse). Thank you so much for your input!

Old 07-07-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.andMrs.Krinkle View Post
Well,in the area where I live,close to the central Sierra Mountains. I'd say Three Rivers or Springville are good choices. They are small,friendly towns and not terribly far away from cities that have more amenities to offer. I'd try a Google search of them,it might be what you are looking for without getting more input on climate or area from your request. Good luck
Thank you, I Mapquested it and it looks like a great area, good distance from the busy cities, but still in the mountains. I'll research it further.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 AM

Default What is it that you like about Oakhurst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
You know what mountain town I like is Oakhurst, near Yosemite.
Thanks SEAandATL.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 AM

Default I like Truckee too

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Truckee's nice.
At least I have liked it when I've been driving through or going there for groceries from my family's cabin in Soda Springs. The only issue is driving in the winter, which can be nearly impossible during a storm. And potential fire danger. It's beautiful though!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 AM

After reading your update-the Springville area could be a good choice for you. It doesn't get quite as hot in the summer as Three Rivers and I never really hear much about horrible snow storms in the winter. It is basically the gateway to the Sierras with breathtaking views of it. In the early Fall,they hold the Apple Festival-which is something we try to go to every year. It is a good time for all ages. There are also small communities up there that aren't towns but are secluded places to live. You could even go a bit higher than Springville and still be close to it and the largest town from it-which is Porterville,not sure how far away that is but just guessing,I'd say about 25 miles or so. Porterville has Walmart,chain grocery stores and just about everything you'd need for supplies and such. If you didn't mind the commute,Porterville does have places related to the medical field. Springville may not exactly what you are looking for,but it is defianetly worth researching. Hope this info helps some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California