U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 AM

7 posts, read 25,413 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate. Has anyone news of BlueLake. It is inland from Arcata and I am wondring about the weather. I'm 63. I don't like a lot of fog, the wetness irritates my old bones. and I like to take college courses. Especially at jr. college prices. or Sr. prices. I would like to buy somethng outright in the $200K or less. there are just two or us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 PM

64 posts, read 278,152 times
Default Try Medford or Redding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleNurseMom View Post
I visited there to check out Humboldt State about 7 years ago and I remember it being SO beautiful up there!

But we drove through "downtown" Arcata and it seemed to be loaded with homeless, filthy people under the influence of something, and it seemed really dirty. There appeared to be some sort of festival or something going on there (hippie-type thing maybe?), and we were told that drug use is rampant there- more prevalent than where we live now in Sacramento.

What do you think?

How is it to raise kids there?

What do you think about the local hospital? (I'm a nurse.)

THANKS!!!
Check out Medford. Growing retirement community means expanding hospitals there which serve as the regional centers for southern OR and Northern CA. Also try Redding. both are decent places to raise kids and sound more conservative to your liking.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,896,139 times
I heard the school in Grants Pass are pretty bad.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 AM

81 posts, read 326,308 times
My research showed that the hospitals in the area are not high quality (Mad River, St Joseph, and the one in Fortuna).

Sources to check:
Medicare.gov - Hospital Compare
QualityReport

Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM

Default My scouting report on the Eureka, McKinleyville, Arcata area

Here's the results of my scouting trip to the area:

Fortuna:

Nearly nothing on which to comment. Just a very simple city with some dust and some very limited retail. Nearly a ghost town at night. Completely not right for me.

Ferndale:

I was expecting a lot more from this little town. If I was mayor of that town and had some money and support, I think I could make it into a great place to live AND a really great tourist spot. As it is, it's just a not-well-executed idea and boring little place to live. Too bad.

Eureka:

Hmmm...this one is tougher to describe. It's not bad, but not very good either. Just sorta there...

Again, it seems like it has great potential, but somehow the city doesn't seem to have every "gelled" together around any particular view or culture.

In the center area, the streets are laid out in a grid fashion with little old houses all crammed together. There are only a small number of renovated ones, with most just looking old and worn down.

In the south end, the housing is more suburban-style and there are some nice areas which back up to trees and beautiful scenery, but the prices are not cheap for what you get. Especially considering the rundown nature of the city....

I guess that word about sums it up: Eugene is very rundown and does not appear to have any plan of action to turn this situation around.

Arcata:

OK, the hippie idea really attracted me. I'm not a hippie, but the feeling and liberal mindset are good ones in my view.

First the school: It is much smaller than I expected. Nice and lots of trees, but nowhere near as beautiful as UC Santa Cruz (its closest competitor in terms of "tree hugger college"). The buildings are nothing special either. Overall, ok but a little disappointing.

The living area in the mountains east of the town is pretty cool. Very mountainy and heavily forrested. But the streets are a bit run down and the overall atmosphere is a bit too rustic for my taste. Too many weeds and mysterious pieces of wood dumped in empty lots...that sort of thing. Still, I might have gone for it, except the real estate was too expensive for my budget. Everything over 400K and some much higher than that.

The living area around downtown and west of downtown was a big disappointment. Some nice renovated older houses downtown, but not enough of them to build any momentum. Plus there seems to be a lot of small industrial and retail mixed throughout the area in between the houses. Further west, there are some neighborhoods but not many trees and the whole place feels worn, flat, dusty, and Fisher-Price-Plastic-Toys-In-The-Front-Yard-ish. Similar in some ways to McKinleyville (see below).

McKinleyville:

OK, this was my last stop and I really wanted to like this place since by then I was thinking "OK, I can not live in Arcata but at least I could live nearby and drive down there whenever I wanted to soak up some liberal college-y atmosphere". And, for sure, it has some positives.

The main retail area seems neat and well organized. A little too limited for choice in some respects, but overall not bad. Some local businesses, but not many.

But here's the problem, or maybe the good news for some readers...The typical residential profile for the area seems to be:

Blue collar.

Pickup truck owner. Truck is used for work so usually has some sort of magnetic sign logo on the side and equipment in the back.

Loves to collect and store stuff in the front yard.

Kids love that big plastic Fisher Price toy stuff, and mom and dad set it up in the front yard for them.

Fixin' cars is man's work and best done in your own driveway (it may take a few weeks though).

Saved up and bought a boat and trailer and park it out front also.

Bought that old rusted '69 Camaro from high school buddy for five hundred bucks and one of these days will fix that thing up and it will be truly awesome...until then, there it sits in the driveway.

OK, so there's nothing really intrinsically wrong with any of the above points, but for me, it just does not create the kind of living environment that I like. Admittedly, the above points are not guaranteed to exist on every single house in McKinleyville, but the percentage of houses with many of these features knocks the area off my list. On the other hand, for you, it might be a very suitable place.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,105,558 times
What you describe about our towns seems to be the same thing I see in Concord, Vacaville, Fairfield, Oakland and all the rest of the city's in the Bay Area. If you were looking for perfection here, sorry, we up here are pretty much real folk who work, raise families and play when we can. There are some nice neighborhoods in McKinleyville that do not fit the description that you portrayed of us, same goes with Eureka, it has some nice neighborhoods too. Now, Arcata is a college town and you get what you get. Did you go further north to Trinidad? It is much more upscale and maybe more of what you were looking for. For $600,000 you can buy in a gated community in Eureka or McKinleyville and what you would get would be a high end executive home around 4000 sf or more, with an ocean frontage also. Money can pretty much buy what ever you want and here it is just a lot less.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
What you describe about our towns seems to be the same thing I see in Concord, Vacaville, Fairfield, Oakland and all the rest of the city's in the Bay Area. If you were looking for perfection here, sorry, we up here are pretty much real folk who work, raise families and play when we can. There are some nice neighborhoods in McKinleyville that do not fit the description that you portrayed of us, same goes with Eureka, it has some nice neighborhoods too. Now, Arcata is a college town and you get what you get. Did you go further north to Trinidad? It is much more upscale and maybe more of what you were looking for. For $600,000 you can buy in a gated community in Eureka or McKinleyville and what you would get would be a high end executive home around 4000 sf or more, with an ocean frontage also. Money can pretty much buy what ever you want and here it is just a lot less.
True. I did see some nicer neighborhoods in a few parts of McKinleyville and Eureka (not many though). For example, there are some really nice houses on Bartow Rd, and the neighborhood is very well kept. But the price is way out of my range. I was really hoping to find something for around 300K but with a clean and tidy neighborhood feeling i.e. without all the trucks, RVs, boats, Fisher Price toys, and Camaros-to-be-fixed-someday.

Sorry to be slightly negative on your area. I really tried to like it, as it was top of my list for potential locations. I even was ready to ignore the hospital quality issue (the hospitals in the area are not quite first grade according to the official websites). But in the end, I just could not find the right mix of budget and neighborhood.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,105,558 times
Well, it is the price that is paid to live in a small community. None of the towns here are large by Bay Area standards. Eureka is the largest at 28,000 and Arcata and McKinleyville follow at close to 17,000 each. There are only 130,000 in the county, by Bay area rules that itself would be a medium sized town. I have several yards that I maintain in the neighborhood off of Bartow Road. There are several such neighborhoods in town. Homes are currently going for for $350,000 and up in the Azalea hill area ( Bartow Rd.) When I moved here to Humboldt county in 1992, it felt like I had moved back 30 years in time. I have grown quite fond of this area over the past 16 plus years and would rather have the slow life here than the hustle and bustle of the Bay Area.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 PM

8,262 posts, read 26,268,668 times
You went to a semi-rural, working-class community and were surprised to find ... semi-rural, working-class people?

Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You went to a semi-rural, working-class community and were surprised to find ... semi-rural, working-class people?
I was hoping to find semi-rural, working-class people who can keep their houses and yards neat and tidy. Can I assume from your comment that this is not possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or