Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
If California passes the Proposition in 2012, it will make marijuana possession up to an ounce (plus the grow) legal. Now if the federal court system strikes it down, there will be no reversion back to the old CA law.

The reason is that California upon passage of the Proposition will remove marijuana possession from the Penal Code as a petty offense (as it is classified since Arnold signed that into law 2 months ago). The federal court upon striking down the Proposition does not have the power to then make marijuana illegal again under California state law. That is up to the California legislature.

A better worded proposition is: To remove marijuana as a petty offense from the California Penal Code in is entirety, as opposed to saying "Legalize marijuana."

Federal courts do not have the power to create criminal laws for states.
I've been saying the exact same thing! California can't make pot legal. All it can do is to stop making it illegal by removing those pot laws. The federal government can't put them back because that's the job of the California legislature. If California does that then the only recourse for the federal government is to send federal officers to California to enforce the federal marijuana laws. IMO that would require a lot of manpower deployed for the sole reason of enforcing what is now a petty offense. I think in the end the federal government can shake its finger and threaten but if California decriminalizes recreational marijuana the federal government may just have to back down and let California have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You dope smokers lost. What is the problem/issue? Isn't that what you liberal's want? The majority of the people? Isn't that what you complain about? The PEOPLE of the State of California have spoken:

They DO NOT want marijuana legalized.
And the people of the State of California will speak again in 2012 and express their like or dislike of the latest wording of the 2012 version of the proposition. It seems that the combination of those who smoke it and of others who just believe it should be a personal choice and the government stay out of it, the two segments together appear to be about half the voters. Maybe next time they'll get the wording right and a few previous doubters will vote for it and it may pass. And then you'll be able to say "They DO want marijuana legalized."

Quote:
Just because you smoke dope and enjoy it, doesn't mean everyone else does. Its over. You lost. Of course, you are drug addicts and will fight, whine, and moan. You lost; get over it.
Prop 19 supporters didn't lose forever, they just lost this time. It's not over until it's over and it isn't over yet! It will be Proposition something else that year and will be better thought out and we'll see then who wins and who loses.

Quote:
A false statement. Each and every individual city would have to make laws, in order to get the taxes. It would not, nor would it, occur. That is ONE of the many problems with Prop 19. ... the [new] proposition will be more specific.
Yeah, that's one of the things I was referring to above, one of the things to be fixed. The new proposition should include the necessary laws at the state level, then perhaps allow local cities to individualize the laws where necessary. Ideally the whole legal regulation should probably be at the state level.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
It wouldn't surprise me if the federal government did deploy large amounts of manpower to bust the sellers.

I heard LA County Sheriff say that he would still enforce federal marijuana laws too againt sellers, not users. The feds could make the Sheriff's officers Deputy US Marshals to do this.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 AM

What I mean is that it would take much more federal manpower than local police use to enforce current marijuana laws. It's illegal and most of the product gets through just fine. If it became legal then even more of the product would get through although of course not all of it. Those busted, are they going to incarcerate them in federal prisons? Prosecute them in federal court? No matter what happens I think most pot proponents would trade that for what we have now, and that may be just a transitory stage to the feds giving up and finding some other place to waste money.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 PM

43 posts, read 57,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
MJ has and will continue to be detrimental for the physical mental and social welfare for all of us as a society. From the criminal aspect who grows it on state lands to the backyard growers who got Dr feelgood to prescribe it... they all create an environment less safe and less desirable to live in... from growers with guns to stoners with no drive.... to the increased health care costs and risks from lung issues... (please..get real.. smoke inside you is not healthy no matter what drug is carried in that smoke)

I have no problem synthesizing into a potent form of thc and putting it in a pill... regulated of course.. then I dont have to smell you...deal with the backyard ripoffs or odors and nasty cartels... I just get to deal with the aftermath of a stoner... now DUI with it...

I too am glad I arrested people for it... as with all mind altering substances... I dont want it around or see its negative effects everywhere

The Jihad wont have to kill us .. we're doing a great job all on our own

Impeach me... hell no.. Ill testify as to how I feel.
you sir are a prohibitionist, and prohibition does not work. i guess you like that children can easily get pot and gangs and cartels control it

Old 11-06-2010, 05:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
What I mean is that it would take much more federal manpower than local police use to enforce current marijuana laws. It's illegal and most of the product gets through just fine. If it became legal then even more of the product would get through although of course not all of it. Those busted, are they going to incarcerate them in federal prisons? Prosecute them in federal court? No matter what happens I think most pot proponents would trade that for what we have now, and that may be just a transitory stage to the feds giving up and finding some other place to waste money.
I feel like the fed works by giving a huge budget for something. To justify that huge budget, those who receive it (in this case the fed cops) need to show numbers (arrests/# of pot growers busted). This justifies a larger budget due to perceived success and the cycle repeats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California