Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Get out of your bubble.
There's practically as many people in a 45 mile blue speck known as San Francisco as there is in the 150,000 red one known as Montana.

I know those big, big blocks of color are very impressive to the demographically untrained eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
There's practically as many people in a 45 mile blue speck known as San Francisco as there is in the 150,000 red one known as Montana.

I know those big, big blocks of color are very impressive to the demographically untrained eye.
Nobody with an ounce of sanity does not recognize that the Bay area and LA have very large populations. However, it's not like the red areas of the state are all sparsely populated. Many of the areas that voted red are also larger than the population of Montana. Is San Diego small, or rural? CA sends something like 47 reps to the House. Believe it or not, a good number of those don't come from LA or the Bay area. As I'm sure you know, how many reps the state sends is based on population. There must be sufficient population in those red areas to warrant those spots in the House.

Furthermore, at the US level, many populated areas voted red.

It can't be that hard to accept the Dems lost last night, can it? These beatings happen to both parties.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
They let the cows vote and the cows all vote Republican.
It's the herd mentality.

I know some Democrat and Independent cows, you can spot them by their black and white hide.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:25 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Even the liberal state of California won't lend enough influence to counter the wave of mass discontent felt by much of the nation. The GOP won overwhelmingly yesterday posturing an all out face off with the Obama Admin. There has to be some aggresive moves on the behalf of both parties quickly. California is a complete disaster because of it's unfettered liberal spending and blind ignorance to deal with it's immigration issues. Other states are watching you and closely observing what not to do.

How is that for cutting edge?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Default The Real Californiaâ„¢

There isn't one!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Voters in California and New York vote UNION. The democrats have given in to the union demands. That is why CA and NY are broke and have high taxes. Protect the unions and get votes.
Shh! You'll make them cry!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:27 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
your stereotyping them as all obsessed with God & guns is classic progressivism.
But it's true! Although what it the right wing agenda boils down to is putting white hetero guys back in charge but not making them pay for anything. The conservative position on every issue without exception furthers that objective.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:32 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But it's true! Although what it the right wing agenda boils down to is putting white hetero guys back in charge but not making them pay for anything. The conservative position on every issue without exception furthers that objective.
I will assume you are joking. Please put one of those smiley icons in your post next time

Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I will assume you are joking. Please put one of those smiley icons in your post next time
No smiley. Serious as a heart attack.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
I think American voters want what they want NOW! Which is reflective of society as a whole. We didnt get into this financial mess just in the last 2 years. And we, as a supposedly educated group of people, should be intelligent enough to know that 2 years wasnt enough to clean it up. But we want instant gratification.I am not smart enough to answer the question "Can we spend our way out of this mess?" I do know however that there is some truth to the adage "it takes money to make money." In order for a farmer to bring in a crop he must spend money on seed. In order to make money in stocks and bonds you must first purchase them.In order to create jobs at a factory you must first build the factory.I think both the Dems and the Reps are looking to give our financial resources away right now. The Dems in entitlements and the Reps in corporate and wealthy individual tax cuts. If we keep handing out free money to people who dont even try to better themselves, we will keep getting generation after generation of people who think they are entitled just because they breath and breed. But also, we cant keep thinking that by giving corporations and the wealthy big tax cuts they will use that money to create jobs. It didnt work under Reagan or Bush Jr. Both ended up raising the deficit ALOT! Reagan by 189% and Jr, by 89%. There are 2 things that come to mind where we can see some relatively quick savings to the tax payer and create some jobs.1- Immediately remove the tax incentives corporations receive to ship jobs overseas.Although this wont stop them from doing it, it will mean the taxpayers wont be charged to lose thier own jobs.2-End the Bush Era tax breaks for the wealthy.Although, as Americans they are entitled to pay only thier fair share, now is not the time to add roughly $700 billion to the deficit.
As for California in particular, 2 things come to mind that may help.1-With your abundance of sun,wind,tides and geothermal assets, any job creation should be geared toward the future growth in "green" technologies. You have a highly educated workforce. So there is no reason why California cant lead the world into the future.2- Stop passing all these propositions that require so much money to enforce. Does the comfort of a chicken matter more than your states financial wellness?
Just some thoughts from a former resident of San Luis Obispo. But hell! What do I know? I'm just a Tennessee stump jumpin,ridge runnin,stay the hell outa my business redneck now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California