Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,398 times

Advertisements

When I raised my concern above I actually did mean the middle class (both white collar high-tech and blue collar manufacturing sector) which are the backbone of the economy, certainly not the Hollywood or professional sports divas with multi-million paychecks. Nor slick CEOs that only outsoruce and pump money overseas to pad their mark-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
He said after the win he will be a "frugal governor that won't increase taxes UNLESS VOTERS APPROVE IT"

When I read that with that qualifier my red flags went up immediately. Given that the majority of the folks that voted for him would BENEFIT from tax increase I'm sure "the voter will approve it" Why would he even phrase it like that? Is he saying he will at least attempt to push tax increases through? So that he can "give back" to his bum electorate.

Time for the working folks to grip our ankles and hide our wallets,... again?
What are the chances? What do you think?

Nita

Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Free education for illegals has to be paid for somehow. Now that the 2/3 requirement to pass a budget is no longer there, it'll be a feeding frenzy.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
There was a redistribution of taxes towards the lower class??? Really

The top 1% pay 38% of all federal taxes
Top 10% pay like 73%

50% of all people pay NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX.
Nearly half of US households escape fed income tax - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nearly-half-of-US-households-apf-1105567323.html?x=0&.v=1 - broken link)

Get your facts straight

It sucks to be in CA right now, I am sure it is a beautiful state, but no employer will move there, taxes are too high
If the top 1% pay 38% of all federal taxes but make 42% of the income, I'd say that's about right.

Top 1 Percent Control 42 Percent of Financial Wealth in the U.S. – How Average Americans are Lured into Debt Servitude by Promises of Mega Wealth.

As far as the 47% who don't pay federal taxes, they still pay taxes--Social Security, state disability, sales taxes, tobacco taxes, gasoline taxes, alcohol taxes, property taxes. They pay proportionally more of their income for these things than those in the top tax brackets.

Raising taxes requires a supermajority. It isn't likely. Despite the foamingly ridiculous lies about Brown, he's a cheapskate who takes a dim view of government waste. So no, I don't think taxes will go up. I don't think most of the other completely imaginary scenarios predicted by the teabaggers will come to pass either.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If the top 1% pay 38% of all federal taxes but make 42% of the income, I'd say that's about right.

Top 1 Percent Control 42 Percent of Financial Wealth in the U.S. – How Average Americans are Lured into Debt Servitude by Promises of Mega Wealth.

As far as the 47% who don't pay federal taxes, they still pay taxes--Social Security, state disability, sales taxes, tobacco taxes, gasoline taxes, alcohol taxes, property taxes. They pay proportionally more of their income for these things than those in the top tax brackets.

Raising taxes requires a supermajority. It isn't likely. Despite the foamingly ridiculous lies about Brown, he's a cheapskate who takes a dim view of government waste. So no, I don't think taxes will go up. I don't think most of the other completely imaginary scenarios predicted by the teabaggers will come to pass either.

I've managed a fair amount of Section 8 properties over the years and can attest there is an entire group that do not pay Income, Social Security, Disability, Property Taxes etc...

They live on General Assistance, FDC, Food Stamps, Housing Vouchers, School Lunch, County Health Insurance...

The homes often are no different from others in the neighborhood... they have Internet, cable, a car and their kids do not go without....

It is often a legacy of assistance... Mom had her first child as a single teen and her daughter becomes a mother as a teenager and the cycle continues...

Life can be so insulated as to live life with never having filed a tax return or holding down a job...

The above scenario applies to thousands of Bay Area Families.

When nearly half the public escapes the majority of taxes... the tide has already turned and additional increases are guaranteed.

At least with sales taxes... just about everyone participates to some degree.

To date, simply calling a tax a fee has allowed increases for everything from potholes to Public Safety... Also, a super majority is not required in California for School Construction Bonds... only 55%

I've slowly been opting out of many fees... I previously kept several vehicles licensed, insured, smogged and maintained... had an old truck that I drove less than 1000 miles a year... just went non-op on it... no longer worth the increased costs and I'm not alone.

Californians recalled one Governor over increased vehicle fees... could happen again.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-04-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've managed a fair amount of Section 8 properties over the years and can attest there is an entire group that do not pay Social Security, Disability, Property Taxes etc...

They live on General Assistance, FDC, Food Stamps, Housing Vouchers, School Lunch, County Health Insurance...

The homes often are no different from others in the neighborhood... they have Internet, cable, a car and their kids do not go without....

It is often a legacy of assistance... Mom had her first child as a single teen and her daughter becomes a mother as a teenager and the cycle continues...

Life can be so insulated as to live life with never having filed a tax return or holding down a job...

The above scenario applies to thousands of Bay Area Families.
This is happening in every big City in CA. I won't send my kids to the schools down the block because they are jammed with kids bused in from the border. The amount of ESL students has sent test scores plummeting. The majority of kids are on the free meals program.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i highly doubt taxes will go up significantly, if at all. although the budget vote requirement has changed to a simple majority, taxes (and now fees as well) still require a super majority to be passed.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 AM

43 posts, read 32,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

This is an excellent post. +1

Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
During Governor Brown’s tenure, California significantly reduced taxes and built up the largest state surplus ever. His eight years in office are generally considered among the most innovative in California history. He established the first agricultural labor relations law in the country, enacted collective bargaining for teachers and other public employees, started the California Conservation Corp (CCC), signed into permanent law the California Coastal Protection Act, earned federal protection of Northern California wild and scenic rivers, brought about the country's first building and appliance energy efficiency standards and made California the leader in solar and alternative energy.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:01 PM

474 posts, read 905,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
The flaw in your reasoning is that you seem to think that the people who pay no federal income tax are in the bottom half of the economic castes. Not so. Many of the people who pay no taxes are wealthy, which was part of my initial point: Bush-era tax cuts have made it possible for many high-income earners to take a free ride on the taxmobile.

They Earn $200,000 and Pay No Taxes - ABC News
Under 8,000 out of millions are in this category. Compared to 50% of federal taxpayers paying zero? How many taxpayers are there? 100 million? Many tens of millions pay nothing.

EVERYONE who benefits from governments services should pay taxes. It might be a smal symbolic amount in many cases, but everyone should pay something.

Those wealthy taxpayers are taking advantage of our ridiculous tax code. These behavior modification elements of the tax code should be stricken completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: