Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I would add to your list the "fact" that 47% of people don't pay Federal taxes is a lie. Just an out and out lie. What is true is that 47% (mostly retirees or low income people) don't pay Federal income taxes but income taxes account for less then half of all Federal tax revenue. Pay roll taxes actually bring in more money to the Feds then income tax and it is a highly regressive tax (hits the poor more then the rich) so I don't feel bad that the well off get hit with an income tax even though I'm one of them. The main reason why the percentage of people not paying income taxes has gone up is that the population is aging rapidly so more and more people are now retired and thus not paying income taxes.
THeres also a lot of people on welfare or people who earn under 20K.

The retires are getting social security payments back, but at least they paid for this with about 15% of income going towards payroll taxes. I wonder what the number would be if they weren't included. But your argument that most of the taxes are payroll, so what that all goes to SS. Federal pays for Defense and all the welfare that goes to the states.

Also if you look at the social security payments they are heavily skewed towards the poor. The calculation for SS benefits use only 15% of income in excess of 50K.

If you are rich you are getting screwed, no matter how you look at it.

The main question remains, why don't Californians get it???

I don't live there but have to wonder how you can pay 10% income tax and beleive it is OK to have taxes increase.

Why did you elect Boxer or Brown or any other democrat?

As Chevy Chase said in Christmas vacation - How can things get any worse we are at the thresholds of hell!

California is at the abyss, and stupid democrates Nancy Pelosi, Brown, and boxer are not going to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
THeres also a lot of people on welfare or people who earn under 20K.

The retires are getting social security payments back, but at least they paid for this with about 15% of income going towards payroll taxes. I wonder what the number would be if they weren't included. But your argument that most of the taxes are payroll, so what that all goes to SS. Federal pays for Defense and all the welfare that goes to the states.

Also if you look at the social security payments they are heavily skewed towards the poor. The calculation for SS benefits use only 15% of income in excess of 50K.

If you are rich you are getting screwed, no matter how you look at it.

The main question remains, why don't Californians get it???

I don't live there but have to wonder how you can pay 10% income tax and beleive it is OK to have taxes increase.

Why did you elect Boxer or Brown or any other democrat?

As Chevy Chase said in Christmas vacation - How can things get any worse we are at the thresholds of hell!

California is at the abyss, and stupid democrates Nancy Pelosi, Brown, and boxer are not going to help.
It's *democrats* So much irony in this BS post.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
The retires are getting social security payments back, but at least they paid for this with about 15% of income going towards payroll taxes.
FICA and SECA combined amount to 6.2% not 15%. They're also capped after $120,000 of income so if you earn more then that amount all the money you make above the cap does not have to pay either FICA or SECA. That makes the pay roll taxes even more regressive which is why I don't cry for millionaires when they whine about income tax being progressive.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
FICA and SECA combined amount to 6.2% not 15%. They're also capped after $120,000 of income so if you earn more then that amount all the money you make above the cap does not have to pay either FICA or SECA. That makes the pay roll taxes even more regressive which is why I don't cry for millionaires when they whine about income tax being progressive.
The employer also matches the tax, so 7.2 + 7.2 ~15%

Wages being elastic, in effect reduces your pay.

Talking to some of the people on this forum makes a little giggly. Part of me laughs and part of me feels like I want to cry.

You are arguing that the poor pay a larger percentage then the rich, you argue that Democrats are more likely to cut taxes then Republicans.

MOD CUT But who else would vote for Boxer or Pelosi

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Don't get mad at me. That's what his website says. I'm only 19. I have no idea what he did as governor.
Never... these Forums are a medium to exchange ideas... there are at least several prospectives on each issue...

I really hope for the best and have to admit I'm a little biased having had Governor Brown as my Mayor.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:

And if you're self employed, you get to write a check for the whole 15%.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Don't know where you got this information, but much of it is incorrect. Here's an article about him in The American Conservative: The American Conservative -- Five Faces of Jerry Brown

Note that Reagan raised taxes and spent far more than Brown did. From the article: " But Governor Brown was much more of a fiscal conservative than Governor Reagan, even if he made arguments for austerity that the Republican would never use. ... Reagan had raised taxes several times and boosted spending by an average of 12.2 percent a year. In his first year as governor, by contrast, Brown increased spending by just 4.6 percent, less than the rate of inflation. He wasn’t always so restrained in the rest of his reign, but he was thriftier than his predecessor, accumulating one of the biggest budget surpluses in California history."

He didn't end up with a deficit because of anything he did. It was due to the huge Reagan recession that swept the country. Unemployment was around 25% in West Virginia!
Reagan did raise taxes. He claimed that he had to to pay off the debt that Browns dad had created in his two terms. also he was dealing with a liberal legislature during his time in office. When Reagan left we had more money than any other state in the nation.

another thing, Reagan inherited a mess that Carter created when he became President. You didn't have unemployment from Reagan, you had it from Carter. The greatest economic growth in the history of the nation occured during and after the time that Reagan left office as President. Interest rates were in the double digits before Reagan started. He proved that cutting spending works and taxing people to death does not work.

Conservatism is the way to save the nation not taxing those that produce.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Reagan did raise taxes. He claimed that he had to to pay off the debt that Browns dad had created in his two terms. also he was dealing with a liberal legislature during his time in office. When Reagan left we had more money than any other state in the nation.

another thing, Reagan inherited a mess that Carter created when he became President. You didn't have unemployment from Reagan, you had it from Carter. The greatest economic growth in the history of the nation occured during and after the time that Reagan left office as President. Interest rates were in the double digits before Reagan started. He proved that cutting spending works and taxing people to death does not work.

Conservatism is the way to save the nation not taxing those that produce.
I remember 17% mortgages... one sure way to lower the price of housing

My first mortage was 12.5%

Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:

Talking to some of the people on this forum makes a little giggly. Part of me laughs and part of me feels like I want to cry.

You are arguing that the poor pay a larger percentage then the rich, you argue that Democrats are more likely to cut taxes then Republicans.

MOD CUT But who else would vote for Boxer or Pelosi
Oh, man you are a special piece of work. You said "retirees paid 15% of their income" so you're just wrong no matter how much you try to spin this about wage elasticity; it's obvious you got caught making "facts" up and now you are embarrassed but the way to not have that happen again is to stop making things up. Yes, I did in deed point out the FACT that payroll taxes are a regressive tax, which you've been completely unable to refute because it's true, and then you pulled some red herring about one side being more likely to cut taxes which I never once mentioned. Do you even read what you post before you post it? This is like arguing with a child.

I never mentioned which party was "more likely to cut taxes", you really should sharpen those reading comprehension skills, and instead pointed out that the temporary sales tax increase passed two years ago expires next year and so there will be a further $12 billion hole in the budget next year beyond this year's $19 billion deficit. I'm sorry facts upset you and cause you the discomfort of having to question your, apparently, sacred beliefs but they're still true even if you don't like them.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-05-2010 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: source posting altered

Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 PM

253 posts, read 349,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
It's *democrats* So much irony in this BS post.

...so wise and all knowing. I miss the days of certainty... ...the days of 18 years of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: