U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:54 PM

735 posts, read 410,745 times
Oklahoma City is the next DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM

3,045 posts, read 4,184,336 times
What also must be taken into account with job statistics is what kind of jobs and what kind of pay? Walmart might be hiring, but how many highly skilled Californians in the high tech sector for example or people with law degrees are willing (or will reap any benefit) from taking a job at a Walmart or McDonald's? I believe that this might be part of the reason for Texas having a higher job creation.

My husband does the hiring for a high tech company and the pay for a database engineer or the like is certainly not going to pay minimum wage. Employment for highly skilled professionals and educated advanced degree holders are what California tends to appeal to.

Also, California's major problems with the unemployment rate is over the housing bubble. We were hit terribly here with all the pumping and dumping of property. States with fewer problems are also states where land is/has been abundant and the real estate market wasn't based on fear mongering and blatant lies of the mortgage/banking industry quite as much.

Nevertheless, I don't really understand the OP's childish "my state is better than your state mentality". The fact is, California is still the hub of innovation and the 6th or 7th largest economy on the planet (if it were a country). California is still at the forefront of innovation and it's where the highly educated populace from other states/and countries flock, particularly in the high tech and biotech industries. I know Austin is probably full of very educated folk also and there are opportunities there as well, but not that many people are eager to actually lay down roots in Texas long term. It's just not that attractive. We lived in Ireland during the "Celtic Tiger" and Texas was not really on anyone's radar for relocation...it just never had the same appeal or image for folks on the other side of the Atlantic. Texas, let's face it still has that STEREOTYPE of a dusty, dry, arse-backward, homophobic, racist, right wing, beef slaughtering, buffet lovin', overweight, Christ obsessed, cowboy image. Not that appealing to a recent Stanford graduate. Not saying it's true at all- it's just what a lot of people imagine.

It's not really about one upmanship unless you're perhaps 6yrs old or rooting for a baseball team. My husband's company is in fact hiring as well... based in Redwood City. There is a reason why the high tech industry is concentrated in Silicon Valley--it's where the talent pool is and is known as 'the' place for innovation (whether you agree with it or not, the rest of the world still views it this way).

That's great that the OP loves Texas--but really, nobody cares. We should probably think more in terms of uniting on the country's unemployment issues, learning from the "bubble" economies rather than blathering boring and pointless statistics on how great a particular state is.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:51 PM

16,591 posts, read 18,455,159 times
The OP's state IS California...

Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM

11,925 posts, read 11,406,909 times
18Montclair - the data you cite is already six years old. It would be more convincing to me if there was data that including the recent economy. It might show for example that many businesses are simply GONE, not moved somewhere else. Nationwide many businesses are simply not here anymore (for lots of reasons).

It is probably very true that job losses in California do not translate to job gains in other states. It isn't as if there is a giant tunnel for workers to go somewhere else.

I think the data item that means the most is that 2.3 million Californians are unemployed. Surely that is the #1 problem that Gov. Brown and the legislature look at when they take office. The longer that persists, the worse California's economic condition will persist. Workers WILL leave the state for other places where jobs can be found.

As much heat as Fiorina took for moving some work offshore - California should look at its existing flagship companies and consider what is happening to their workforce. Apple makes most of its gadgets in China. Oracle employs thousands outside California and the US. California needs those high paying jobs to stay in the state.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,514,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
California doesnt really lose that many jobs to other states. Its a huge LIE that is constantly repeated by disgruntled Republicans as their way to attack economic policies of Democrats.
Yep, there have been studies upon studies proven exactly what you said. Of course, Republicans love to lie so don't expect them to suddenly turn over a new leaf and stop lying. Their whole world view is founded upon lies so lying is like breathing for them.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,514,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
WOW I'm impress... WAIT a minute. What city is that at the top of the list?!? YES its Austin the Capital of Texas. ROFLMMFAO!!! BUAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
Of course, the list is talking about percentage increases so places with a lot of jobs find it hard to keep growing at high percentage increases while places which start with a few jobs can get one new large employer and "OMG +40% employment growth! We ROXXORS!"

Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 PM

434 posts, read 432,241 times
But how so you explain Texas increasing jobs while California loses jobs? If California's job losses are going to other countries shouldn't Texas be losing jobs too?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 PM

735 posts, read 410,745 times
California real estate prices are about 400% more expensive than a comparable house in Texas.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,976 posts, read 3,681,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
But how so you explain Texas increasing jobs while California loses jobs? If California's job losses are going to other countries shouldn't Texas be losing jobs too?
Excellent point!

I'm not going to begin a bashing of either state. Houston, TX is my home and I love that city. I moved to the bay area at the end of January. I am lucky to have a mostly recession proof job. Texas is doing much better than California economically and that is a fact. Texas has boomed with job growth in this recession while California has lost. I don't understand what the one up-manship is about when it comes to these facts. There are several things I have observed since I have been here that is undoubtedly contributing to the overall decline of this state and in no particular order: Unions, people claiming disability when they should not be on it or even eligible for it, housing costs and high taxes. It is a shame since California is much more innovative and has the potential to be a great state again. The things that I have listed are a burden on this state that I really don't think can be overcome and if not then this state will continue to decline.

The stereo type about Texas is ridiculous for any of the big cities. California should study why Texas is not in as bad of an economic condition and model that. This has nothing to do with being a Republican or Democrat or a social liberal. It has to do with take a look around and realize what you are doing is not working and has not been working and your State is in trouble. I love California and I would love to see this place overcome it's economic problems and be the great state that it should be!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,902,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The OP's state IS California...
But doesn't he live in Bakersfield? ... It's kinda like Texas, just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California