U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,499,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Surely you can't be serious.
Yes I jest a little but it is actually true to some degree. The newspaper ran a story about actors in Hollywood who vote Republican and aside from those few well-known and "don't give a damn" usuals like Charleston Heston the rest were so frightened of possible repercussions that they would not even allow their names to be used in the Times article. Republicans in certain fields like the movie industry do have trouble getting work and friends if they adimit to voting for Republicans. I recall when Prop 8 was on the ballot and some people supported doing away with gay marriage by putting lawn signs and car stickers urging people to vote for the proposition. Homes were vandalized and dog poop was smeared on cars. Also businesses were boycotted and certain restaurants lost a lot of customers.

I admire people who take a stand even if the reaction may be fierce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,579,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yes I jest a little but it is actually true to some degree. The newspaper ran a story about actors in Hollywood... bla bla
Yeah, let's use Hollywood as the measuring stick for the rest of the state, like the people in Jesusland do.

Lecture time:

Once you leave the shallowness of youth behind, you'll learn that it's possible to make and keep friends whose political and religious convictions are widely out of sync with your own. You might be surprised to learn just how many of my circle of friends (as opposed to mere acquaintances) are practicing Christians who believe in the kind of stuff that never fails to annoy the holy hell out of me, especially in forum life.

The reason we're still friends after 20 to 35 years... we don't discuss religion.

The friends with with political differences? Well, we discuss stuff, disagree, wave our arms and throw stuff, then crack some cervesas, bust out some fine cigars and change the subject.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM

12,934 posts, read 11,172,572 times
Quote:
you'll learn that it's possible to make and keep friends whose political and religious convictions are widely out of sync with your own
At one point,I would have told you that you were crazy. Problem is, I'm dating a conservative white woman right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 PM

See? Told you.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,562,215 times
This thread is ridiculous. Both the GOP senate and governor candidates got just over 40% of the votes. That doesn't make them victorious, but it's a far cry from extinct.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM

Sonny boy tends to inflate facts when he gloats.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,235,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
This thread is ridiculous. Both the GOP senate and governor candidates got just over 40% of the votes. That doesn't make them victorious, but it's a far cry from extinct.
The GOP isn't going extinct, but the candidates they nominate are awful. This is among the reasons why I voted for Prop 14. Candidates on both sides are the product of regional interests, no more starting in 2011.

Remember 2002? Grey Davis was a sitting duck, a governor who couldn't run for on their record for reelection, so who did the GOP nominate? Bill Simon
Never mind that Richard Riordan would have crushed Davis in the general election, but the CA GOP only wants "real Republicans" see. So they nominated their true conservative, and we all know how that turned out.

Same thing happened again this year. Tom Campbell was polling well ahead of Boxer, so who did the GOP nominate? Carly Fiorina.....ugh. Another missed opportunity.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM

19,281 posts, read 16,651,247 times
Americans are going extinct in California!

Old 11-15-2010, 01:13 PM

735 posts, read 509,371 times
Maybe California needs a new liberal party to counter the Democratic Party such as the Labor Party or the Progressive Party since Republicans are a lost cause in California.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:18 PM

19,281 posts, read 16,651,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
The GOP isn't going extinct, but the candidates they nominate are awful. This is among the reasons why I voted for Prop 14. Candidates on both sides are the product of regional interests, no more starting in 2011.

Remember 2002? Grey Davis was a sitting duck, a governor who couldn't run for on their record for reelection, so who did the GOP nominate? Bill Simon
Never mind that Richard Riordan would have crushed Davis in the general election, but the CA GOP only wants "real Republicans" see. So they nominated their true conservative, and we all know how that turned out.

Same thing happened again this year. Tom Campbell was polling well ahead of Boxer, so who did the GOP nominate? Carly Fiorina.....ugh. Another missed opportunity.
Don'tcha just love self-inflicted wounds? And now Darryl Issa (I met and briefed him and his staff some years ago) is acting tough, dragging his knuckles, thumping his chest and ranting about hundreds of investigations against the Dems come the new session of Congress. It's the same crap Gingrich (Newtie) pulled that ultimately lost the Reps the Congress. They just don't learn from their mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California