U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 AM

12 posts, read 24,793 times

Advertisements

This is just too bad that California is soo expensive with too many people. If the living expense in California was not so sky high, I would really consider moving there. Darn it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,531,368 times
Quote:
This is just too bad that California is soo expensive with too many people. If the living expense in California was not so sky high, I would really consider moving there. Darn it!
Not all of the state is "soo" expensive, there are many fine areas that are less expensive than the coast, which gets all the press. As far as too many people, I agree with you, but, most of the state is lightly settled. In fact, 50% of the state is Public Land and no one but Forest Service/Park Employees and some military personnel live on it.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:11 PM

12,827 posts, read 9,113,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
You know, people laugh when I'm telling them I'm only going back to California for the produce... but I'm pretty serious. Today, I bought a parody of a real tomato at the store in here Seattle. It was grown in water in Canada (I passed on the Mexico ones,) and it was overly firm and overly red and smelled like wax. And for that honor, I was charged $3.99 a pound. Now up here, it is Chilean avocado season, which means stringy and black things that smell like room freshener, but resemble a real avocado on the outside.

I'm so happy to be returning to the year-round farmer's markets with actual farmers there! Buying a vegetable that was picked that afternoon, not weeks ago and shipped thousands of miles. And the strawberries... sigh.. If there is a heaven, they grow strawberries there.

Most years in the spring after the frosty nights are over i put some plants in 5gallon plastic buckets on my deck.

I grow some cherry, sweetie, roma, beefsteak tomatoes. I use a black plastic netting to keep the birds off......YUM Deelicious

I also grow some sweet strawberries the same way .....YUM

Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 891 times
women
weather
pacific coast
legalization
cali luv

Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 PM

253 posts, read 757,105 times
California Love:

Anywhere along the coast, but particularly La Jolla and watching the hang-gliders airborne over the cliffs at Torrey Pines. Watching July 4th fireworks in Newport Beach & Corona del Mar while at Fashion Island.

patrick.net

Pacific Heights, SF - place of the best salon for surfer-girl blonde highlights in the Bay Area and the Laurel Inn.

Menlo Park and Draeger's!

Yosemite

and snowmobiling in Tahoe!!!

Wait! That's six! Well, that's California!!! lol

-Cali-girl

Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM

76 posts, read 79,179 times
Umm...

I would say that i like the weather..but we dont have weather in San Diego.

I would say that I like the food...but it's all mexican so I should say that I like TJ instead.

I would say that I like all the friendly people...but where I'm from you'll get a knife or the traffic finger if you dare look someone in the eyes and say Hi.

I would say that like the nightlife...but I'm not really into the party scene.

I would say that I like having job security...but oh wait, I dont work for a Union so I guess i dont have job security.

I give up, there's not much I like about it.

OH! Mammoth Mountain...I like Mammoth Mountain.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 11 days ago)

3,889 posts, read 6,384,704 times
1. The beach
2. snowy mountains
3. college towns
4. fresh produce
5. Mexican cuisine and our Spanish background

I think San Francisco and LA don't make California great. Before the big cities took over this was the "open" west, and now too many people came in that it's hardly open.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM

I took a drive today out to I5 to sell some packing gear. On the way back I headed west from Coalinga, turned south on Peachtree Canyon Road. 34 miles paved, took me nearly an hour, very scenic, very windy and slow. In that hour I saw no other cars. There is "another" California that is missed by the city oriented.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 11 days ago)

3,889 posts, read 6,384,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I took a drive today out to I5 to sell some packing gear. On the way back I headed west from Coalinga, turned south on Peachtree Canyon Road. 34 miles paved, took me nearly an hour, very scenic, very windy and slow. In that hour I saw no other cars. There is "another" California that is missed by the city oriented.
This is so true. The drive along the I5 is beautiful.

From a religious stand point, in the Bible it says we are not to destroy nature as it's God creation and we are called to live with nature. All though, God doesn't put his opinions on cities in the bible. There was Jerusalem and many cities and God mentioned the problems of cities and pointed out sin there. Would God want us to live in a place with tons of sins? In one sense though, cities are needed for jobs for some people to work and I think God understands that there is not a balance between enough jobs in towns and a central focus of jobs in cities. Another thing to consider about larger cities is that there can be corruption.

Imagine a California without cities over 200,000 population. Imagine if San Francisco and LA areas beaches without the built environment. Imagine if all those people were spread out into the Central Valley and into other areas. Sure everyone wants to live where the better weather is, but it comes at the price of destroying nature. And there are land restraints on how many people can live in smaller areas.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Actually I was on narrow roads between King City and Coalinga.

As Ed Abbey said {if you have not read Desert Solitaire by Ed Abbey, buy it, read it.) This would be a great country with 15 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California