U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:42 PM

31,575 posts, read 52,793,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Educating the children of illegal immigrants is the largest cost, estimated at $7.7 billion each year,
If this is true, then we need to be subsidized by the Federal Government cause they are dragging their feet with respect to this issue.

That alone, is a HUGE chunk of the deficit right there, and its NOT even our fault.

yet another example of how the federal government is a huge source of our budget shortfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,731,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If this is true, then we need to be subsidized by the Federal Government cause they are dragging their feet with respect to this issue.

That alone, is a HUGE chunk of the deficit right there, and its NOT even our fault.

yet another example of how the federal government is a huge source of our budget shortfall.
We don't need to be subsidized by the federal government. We just need to stop illegal's from entering our school systems.

California did this to itself. The liberal politicians put up a big neon sign saying "illegal aliens are welcome and we will pay you to stay ... just remember to vote for the democrats so we can stay in power and keep the taxpayer money flowing to you" ...

Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,762,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If you go by what Sir Sur says, it's all one big happy la raza family with everyone holding hands, complimenting each other in Spanish, admiring each others' brown skin, and skipping on down the lane tossing roses at the little chirren while singing heart-stirring peasant songs such as La Bamba.
Close but not entirely correct. Instead of holding hands we hold ju-ju's [as in mota joints], and the compliments go like this: "hey mamacita, lookin good little girl." And "skipping"; are you kidding? Machismo "skipping"? Never. Ese's swager, man, skipping is for maricons. But you are correct about los ninos; papi's take care of the kids and the more the better. "La Bamba," who you kidding companero? La Gata, man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQJ-aSbSo2E

Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,457,122 times
I suddenly have the urge to eat something wrapped in banana leaves.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:54 PM

15,401 posts, read 24,202,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
We don't need to be subsidized by the federal government. We just need to stop illegal's from entering our school systems.

California did this to itself. The liberal politicians put up a big neon sign saying "illegal aliens are welcome and we will pay you to stay ... just remember to vote for the democrats so we can stay in power and keep the taxpayer money flowing to you" ...
So what did Arizona, Florida, and Texas do to themselves that is the cause for their illegal immigrant problem? Were they welcoming too?

I do agree somewhat with Montclair here, this is largely a federal issue and there is only so much CA can do. Remember we tried to do something with Prop 187 and it was the feds who shut that down. I agree, we should get money for the problem they helped cause.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 PM

794 posts, read 1,483,001 times
"Latino Kids now Majority in CA State Public Schools"

They're also the majority in prison as well, to give you an idea of where the state is headed in the future.

Juvenile Population Overview
as of December 31, 2008
Characteristics Of DJJ Institution Population (December 31, 2008):

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/News/2009_Press_Releases/docs/CDCR_Annual_Report.pdf (broken link)

White 9.6%
Hispanic 56.4%
African American 29.8%
Asian 2.3%
Other 1.9%

Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,579,366 times
The federal government is not responsible for california's policies. you can go to vast swaths of the country that don't have the issue, california employers are the real reason for this. blaming the feds s just trying to pass on responsibilty for the states actions and policies.

Quote:
I do agree somewhat with Montclair here, this is largely a federal issue and there is only so much CA can do. Remember we tried to do something with Prop 187 and it was the feds who shut that down. I agree, we should get money for the problem they helped cause.
if the people who bothered to write prop 187, had bothered to write it in a manner that did not violate the united states constitutional rights and privileges of people born in this country, than it would have passed.

again, not the federal governments fault that the people who wrote it got their law degrees out of a cracker jack box.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The federal government is not responsible for california's policies.
They are responsible for immigration policies and enforcement for the entire nation.
Quote:
you can go to vast swaths of the country that don't have the issue
Yes and they do not border Mexico either.
Quote:
blaming the feds s just trying to pass on responsibilty for the states actions and policies.
There is only so much states can do, they do not have authority or control over international borders. AZ tried to do something and the fed govt sued them.
Quote:
again, not the federal governments fault that the people who wrote it got their law degrees out of a cracker jack box.
My point was that Californians did try to do something. The fed govt hasn't done much at all to control the immigration problem in CA.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,579,366 times
There is plenty the states can do. No one wants to admitt that though.

Arizona lost for the same reason, california lost, its law was not constitutional. You cant give police the right to racially profile someone when they have no way to articulate they believe a crime has taken place. thats how the law works.

it is perfectly with in a states right to not only mandate employers hire citizens or those here to work via visa, it is also with in their right to punish employers whom do not.

People keep can pretend to paint the picture that the feds sold them out here, but in reality was their own local businesses and their own politicians.

Where my mom lives in Chicago, they have the largest legal and illegal hispanic population behind the city of LA. When me and my wife went to Cleveland, there was no illegal population to speak of. They just were not there. Its all about local policy. Period.

The only course of debate in california's case is, how we deal with this social change. because its already happened and there is nothing to be done.

My question is do white students now get to form their own clubs and college student unions since it is clear, that like blacks and asians they are minorities in california state public schools? I think they should get this privilage as fellow minorities..

Old 11-13-2010, 10:40 PM

I wasn't trying to put all the blame on the feds, certainly employers and politicians who don't want some sort of e-verify system are also part of the problem. But the simple fact is the federal govt is responsible for our international borders and they've done a bad job at it imo.

Chicago is an immigrant magnet and has more job opportunities than Cleveland, I'd be willing to bet that is the main reason why they are there as opposed to Cleveland. Most places don't put in policies to discourage illegals unless it's become a problem or issue yet. What local policies of Cleveland exist that discourage illegals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or