Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
White is a color, not a nationality. When I lived in Ireland there were Irish that were actually of Chinese and even African descent. They had Irish accents and all and considered themselves Irish since they were born there.

I saw "white" people in Europe all the time but they were not necessarily Irish or British for example. Brown in also a color but I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as a brown when referring to their ancestry.
"White" isn't even a color.
It means "of European ancestry and not Muslim". Algerians and Moroccans look like Europeans but are not labelled as "white" due to being from Muslim countries in Africa.

Race is an artificial construct anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:01 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
Quote:
Most of the Russians in CA today are NOT descendants of White Russian exiles but immigrants who came in the last 30 years. The kids of the Russian immigrants who came earlier blended into the great American melting pot.

FWIW, what's the income level of people of Hungarian ancestry in the state?
They blended in, but they still have unusually high incomes and they still report themselves as being of Russian ancestry. 5/6'th of people of Russian ancestry in California are native-born. Emigration from the Soviet Union was virtually nonexistent between ~1930 and 1980, so their parents had to come here before 1930.

Hungarians are near the top, below Russians but above Scots.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:08 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
They ask questions during the census once every 10 years, and even then the full version that includes ancestry, household income, etc. is only given to a small percentage of population (I think it was 1 in 6 in 2000?), and they extrapolate results.

Census bureau is a bit weird in that they have a set of "ancestries" and a separate and distinct set of "ethnicities", and the assignment of people to one of the two categories is fairly arbitrary. For example, Iranians are an ancestry, but Chinese are an ethnicity. (And Jews are neither. They have an ancestry called "Israeli", but less than 0.1% of population of California claims it as their primary ancestry.)

In California, as KC6ZLV says correctly, as of the 2000 census, top 5 white ancestries are German, Irish, English, Italian, and French, in that order.

If you include nonwhites, Mexicans are way ahead of everyone, and Chinese and Filipinos are ahead of French.

Another interesting fact is that apparently the wealthiest ancestry of significant presence is Lithuanians (there were about 50 thousand of them in the state, with double the state average per capita income), closely followed by Russians (presumably, descendants of aristocrats who fled the country after the communist revolution in the early 20th century).

Among the immigrants from the British Isles, Scottish and Welsh people did the best for themselves, per capita incomes of around $38k, versus $35k for the English and $31k for the Irish. Which is still well above average for the state. The only nonwhite group that does better than the Irish is the Japanese ($32k).
They do something called the American Community Survey. It is randomly sent to people. Not everyone gets one. I've received several. If I remember correctly, you declare race and ethnicity. So, I declared white, Russian, or Irish, or Russian and Irish, depending on how Russian or Irish I felt that year.

Except for the immigrants from Russia from 1990 to present, I think most of the Russian immigrants came into California from 1900 to 1917. Most of them didn't have anything in Russia, and didn't have anything when they arrived.

Quote:
White is a color, not a nationality. When I lived in Ireland there were Irish that were actually of Chinese and even African descent. They had Irish accents and all and considered themselves Irish since they were born there.

I saw "white" people in Europe all the time but they were not necessarily Irish or British for example. Brown in also a color but I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as a brown when referring to their ancestry.
Where did I say white is a nationality?

We are talking about ethnicity and origin. Those people aren't of Irish origin, when referring to Irish ancestry.

I have a problem with "white." It implies all European-Americans have the same background. We should have the option to declare Swedish, Irish, Polish, German, or Dutch if other races can declare what Asian, African, or Latin American country of their ancestry.

Or maybe we should just go with white and "people of colour." Somehow I don't think the latter would go over too well.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
I have a follow-up question or two or three:
How Yiddish are White Californians?
How skittish are White Californians?
How twittish are White Californians?......

Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,238 times
Quote:

Isn't it weird that people of non-european descent can be considered "european" e.g. the chinese and africans being called "irish" or the turkish people in germany being called "german."

The British people in Hong Kong don't call themselves chinese and the Afrikaners in South Africa don't call themselves african even after being there for a long time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that these chinese and africans believe that their culture is inferior to Irish culture and that is why they want to be identified as "Irish."

Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
What don't they make computers in England?

Spoiler
Because they couldn't figure out a way to make them leak oil.
Too Funny!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Isn't it weird that people of non-european descent can be considered "european" e.g. the chinese and africans being called "irish" or the turkish people in germany being called "german."

The British people in Hong Kong don't call themselves chinese and the Afrikaners in South Africa don't call themselves african even after being there for a long time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that these chinese and africans believe that their culture is inferior to Irish culture and that is why they want to be identified as "Irish."
You're confusing "nationality", which is a legal category, with "ethnicity". I have known hundreds of people of Chinese ethnicity and never ran into one who thought his/her culture was "inferior" to any other. Doubt it's true of Africans either. What is your source for this statement?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,697 times
The British do consider themselves superior to all nationalities, ethnicities, and cultures. It's a British thing.

This thread makes me curious about the education system in California. Californians, of course, don't have the obesity rates of the South.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
the majority of white Californians are a "HEINZ57" mixed race, they dont even know their true ancestory because of all the mixing, the last name has no meaning, it's like a black person with the last name Washington [no relation to Washington]

Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
it's like a black person with the last name Washington [no relation to Washington]
Ya never know... sometimes those slave owners burned a little coal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California