Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 PM

249 posts, read 392,558 times

Advertisements

user_id,
No one argues that interesting start ups are being started in California ( SF Bay Area and LA). The point is that a healthy middle class is being shortchanged. There are a lot of bucks to be made in California. My brother in law has a patent on a chip and lives quite nicely in the Napa Valley. His company manufactures his products off shore in Singapore. California entreprenuers are generating interesting ideas/products. Will they contribute to supporting a vibrant middle class in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Good post, I sent you some +reputation.

The word is "pander."
Sorry for the typo. I did not intend to offend anyone's sensibilities.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
user_id,
No one argues that interesting start ups are being started in California ( SF Bay Area and LA). The point is that a healthy middle class is being shortchanged.
How are they being short-changed? How is the situation in California any different than the rest of the nation?

Quote:
Will they contribute to supporting a vibrant middle class in California?
Yes, most of the jobs they created are middle-class jobs.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
How are they being short-changed? How is the situation in California any different than the rest of the nation?

Yes, most of the jobs they created are middle-class jobs.
If that is the case then I have no problem. Middle class jobs provide the " backbone" for fueling our economy and maintaining the structure of American Society that is envied by most of the developing world.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM

[quote=user_id;16655056]How are they being short-changed? How is the situation in California any different than the rest of the nation?

Have you ever lived ( as a taxpaying adult) outside of California?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Have you ever lived ( as a taxpaying adult) outside of California?
Yes, are you going to answer the question now?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I live in Oakland CA and my father taught high school... many interesting discussions about the Teacher Union.

Our teacher union is always blaming lack of funding for dismal student performance... Oakland spends about 15k per student... just how much more will it take to property fund education?
Obviously that money is going somewhere and it's not going to help the kids.

Nancy O'Malley's office needs to do a corruption investigation of Oakland Unified. Wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few indictments that would come out of such an investigation.

The teachers' union is one of the problems in Oakland (and elsewhere in the state) ; on the plus side Oakland has embraced charter schools more than elsewhere in the state, and it could benefit from even more charters.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,681,502 times
Quote:
Not when water is diverted from farms to save the Delta Smelt.
The water that is being diverted from farms to save the delta smelt, is actually water stolen from the Feather River and sent south for the swimming pools of Los Angeles, and indeed some was diverted to agriculture on the west side.

None of the land farmed before the completion of the Feather River water theft in the early 1960's is affected.

What goes around, comes around. That said, I would stop the water at the Grapevine and turn it all to ag.

The decision was made to cut water to farms to save the smelt, instead of cutting water to Los Angeles to save the smelt, a decision I disagree with.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, are you going to answer the question now?
Certainly,

As a Native Californian who spent the first 36 years of his life in California and the last 16 years in the Midwest and Southeast I can tell you the cost of services and quality of life in California as opposed to those provided in these other regions of the country have no comparison. A skilled workmen in the Midwest lives far better and his children are far better educated than those of a typical Silicon Valley engineer in California ( I have several typical Silicon Valley engineers in my family and my children all received a better public school education outside of California than their's did in California) . A more fair property tax system, a workforce of teachers, police, shopkeepers, and other skilled laborers that can actually afford to live in the community provides a sense of spirit, continuity and support not seen in many of the bedroom communities I have lived in California. Start ups that create wealth for a few but do not generate additional significant wealth for the " worker bees" result in a fragmented community ( like Palo Alto) where the children of wealthy executives go to the private schools and the " hired help" ( ie teachers) commute in from the " poorer" suburbs ( ie East Bay). This leads to an elitist mindset so prevalent in the Bay Area. It robs the members of a community a real sense of " community" . Sure the same can be said of wealthy suburbs in the East Coast. Much of the California talent is imported ( from the East and Far East) and not home grown. In my opinion that is one manifestation of shortchanging the middle class in California.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,681,502 times
Ya'll crack me up, some rightwing whack made "unions" the bogeyman. Ya'll continue to fall for it. The problem in Education today is not teachers, nor teachers unions, to believe that they are is just nuts.

Where does the money go? Two places: Administration, not teachers, and the federal mandates of Sped.

Have fun with that, if it is too hard to work on that, you can always blame the ever so powerful teachers unions, much easier that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California