Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:02 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,237 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I recently got into SJSU and SDSU and other schools...
I plan to transfer from a cc and attend either those schools for a semester and then transfer to a better university. 3.67 GPA

I am a finance major -passionate about it so I really want to learn.

Anyways what school do you recommend? I know they are both very good business schools for CSU. I currently live in SD and want to get out of the house but....saving money might not be a bad idea staying in SD....but if San Jose has better education, I would rather go to SJSU...

I have to accept enrollment for SJSU by tomorrow midnight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 10:13 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
SDSU is a(the?) party school. If you're focused on learning, SJSU may be a better choice.

I've heard that SDSU has dorms and parking that's very inconvenient as well.

I chose CSULB over SDSU and SJSU when I was admitted to all three

Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
SDSU is ranked higher and more selective than SJSU, but I am not sure which has a better business program. Also if you are planning to transfer to a UC you're better off going from a community college than a CSU. I don't really see the point in transferring to either of these schools just for a semester.

Also just because it has a party reputation doesn't mean it's not a good school. UCSB is a bigger party school than all but Chico in CA but better than most schools here.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
SDSU is ranked higher than SJSU.....

Old 11-14-2010, 10:18 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
Hey everyone, I recently got into SJSU and SDSU and other schools...
I plan to transfer from a cc and attend either those schools for a semester and then transfer to a better university. 3.67 GPA

I am a finance major -passionate about it so I really want to learn.

Anyways what school do you recommend? I know they are both very good business schools for CSU. I currently live in SD and want to get out of the house but....saving money might not be a bad idea staying in SD....but if San Jose has better education, I would rather go to SJSU...

I have to accept enrollment for SJSU by tomorrow midnight
I have a friend who attended SJSU. She had "meh" feeling towards it. I heard SDSU is much better, but don't know any students there.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
I go to SDSU. Yes, it's a party school, but it is also a very high rated school too.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,237 times
Sweet..I guess I will go to SDSU for Spring then!
I unfortunately don't plan to attend(never even bothered applying) a UC..because why study something you don't like? Although I know UCLA and UCB have very good recruits.I still can't believe the UC's dont offer finance!!

sav858- I plan to attend SDSU to get the upper division business requirement done that is the same with all other finance requirements...

I also got into Concordia JMSB in Canada...and wanted to attend...but all the classes I need are taken up!

Rejected from Cal Poly SLO but reapplying for Fall 2011.. Still waiting to hear back from Tulane...

My plan is to attend SDSU now I guess and do a semester of upper division prereqs for finance and then transfer to a better name/program school such as SLO, Illionois Urbana-Champaign, Michigan Ross, or even Concordia JMSB again...this time with classes available.

Does anyone know if it is a bad thing to go from a cc to a state uni then to another uni?...I dont want to be stuck at SDSU .... thanks!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
It's not "bad", but you need to meet the requirements for graduation at whatever destination school you are at. Certain classes can only be taken at that particular school, certain percentage of units must be taken at the school, and different schools have different mandatory GE classes. CSU requires 6 credits of american government and history on top of normal GE courses, which makes it different from UC and CC in CA

Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
If you attend three different schools most likely some credit won't be accepted or go towards your major, so you might have to take an extra 1-2 classes. Not a huge deal though.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
SDSU is ranked higher and more selective than SJSU, but I am not sure which has a better business program. Also if you are planning to transfer to a UC you're better off going from a community college than a CSU. I don't really see the point in transferring to either of these schools just for a semester.

Also just because it has a party reputation doesn't mean it's not a good school. UCSB is a bigger party school than all but Chico in CA but better than most schools here.
I was about to say the same. Yes, it is known as a party school, but it has a great business and finance reputation.

I agree with you about the transfering for just one semester, I would either plan on just completing my first 2 years at CC and then going to a UC school or be happy with CSU. Again, SDSU does have a great reputation.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California