U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM

20 posts, read 54,231 times
Smile Is Morro Bay right for me?

I am a 23 year old from CO looking to move out to California early next year. I am not a "city" girl so I am trying to find the best smaller-town that fits what I am looking for:

- Cheaper rent. I have searched around craigslist and I have found a few affordable places. My range would be $500-700 which could include single apartments or even renting a room in a house, I am pretty open. Is this reasonable?

- Dog friendly. It will be just me and the pooch moving and I love taking him as many places as I can, he is very social! Are there dog beaches available (with leashes of course) or dog parks in the area?

- Good place for singles? I am not a bar-hopper and with Sam Luis Obispo being so close, I can always go out there. I just want to make sure there are others my age around.

- Activities in the area? Other than going into the city, what does Morro Bay have to offer locals? I love paddleboarding (not too sure if you do it there) and anything in/beside the ocean is fun for me, but what other activities do the younger crowd seem to enjoy?

Thanks so much! (in advance)
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,793,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab.painter View Post
I am a 23 year old from CO looking to move out to California early next year. I am not a "city" girl so I am trying to find the best smaller-town that fits what I am looking for:

- Cheaper rent. I have searched around craigslist and I have found a few affordable places. My range would be $500-700 which could include single apartments or even renting a room in a house, I am pretty open. Is this reasonable?

- Dog friendly. It will be just me and the pooch moving and I love taking him as many places as I can, he is very social! Are there dog beaches available (with leashes of course) or dog parks in the area?

- Good place for singles? I am not a bar-hopper and with Sam Luis Obispo being so close, I can always go out there. I just want to make sure there are others my age around.

- Activities in the area? Other than going into the city, what does Morro Bay have to offer locals? I love paddleboarding (not too sure if you do it there) and anything in/beside the ocean is fun for me, but what other activities do the younger crowd seem to enjoy?

Thanks so much! (in advance)
I grew up in that county but not specifically Morro Bay. I think you would be bored to tears in MB. It is a beach town so not very cheap (look on Craigslist, I just did and the cheapest I saw was $795 for a one bedroom). It is also foggy a lot. I recall there were a lot of senior citizens there. Not that that is a deal breaker for many but at 23 I wanted to be around younger folks.

Since it is close to a college town you are going to be competing with students for the cheap housing or need roomates. It is difficult to find rentals that accept pets let alone dogs. Expect a hefty deposit. I know this personally. I have cats and THAT was hard. My friend has a dog and it is very difficult.

For the life of me I cannot think of anything outside of bars or the beach in MB. Anything coastal in CA is going to be expensive. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, it isn't my favorite place. I moved away at 17 after spending my life in that area and came back a couple of times. Once at the age of 21 for a few months and later at 24 for a few months. For nightlife we either went to a bar or out to dinner or rented a movie (or left town). During the day there are sporty things to do.

Jill

Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,941,895 times
Morro Bay, a favorite spot of mine, is pretty senior, for sure. It is not foggy all year, but often, for more than half the year. The water is c-o-l-d ... paddleboard in a wet suit. There is basically nothing to do there except go walking in lovely, quiet surroundings, or paddling (best in a kayak) in lovely, quiet surroundings. And no, it is not at all cheap.

It is also cool in temperature ALL year long, with very little temp. variation. Summer highs top out generally at about 68* -- winter highs at about 62*
Morro Bay temperature averages:

Most single 23-year-olds, even non-city-types, would be bored to tears in a matter of a week or two.

What will you do for income? If that is not a problem, consider perhaps a place like Guerneville on the Russian River, 1.5 hours north of San Francisco:
river is fun much of the year;
not far to the ocean at Bodega Bay;
fun, -- uh, some might say a bit weird, -- 'eclectic' population;
easy drive to Santa Rosa and Sebastopol for shopping;
set in gorgeous Redwood country with lots of hiking/biking;
goofy summer tourists for people-watching and distraction;
wide range of rentals / prices;
wider range of weather for some seasonal variation;
plenty of dog life available, including river swimming.
You could maybe find work in Santa Rosa: 30 minutes commute.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Guerne...alifornia.html

Guerneville's has a partial 'gay' reputation for summer tourism, and if that is not your cuppa tea to be around, there are several other quiet, redwood, Russian River towns in the same area that do not have the gay parade or handful of gay-oriented bars, but still have the natural area ambiance and river beaches and rentals.

Good luck

Old 11-15-2010, 04:04 PM

20 posts, read 54,231 times
Thanks for the info on Guerneville, I looked it up and it looks beautiful! Would you say it would be a better place than MB for a single 23 year old? If you wouldn't mind..what are some of the other towns on the river that are popular?

I have a degree in Liberal Arts and I have worked in many fields including; office type work/receptionist, personal assistant, and have worked for a long time in Childcare. I would not mind living in a town and commuting to work in a closer town with more job opportunities. I just want to live in a chill town with still plenty to do, if there is such a thing!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM

5,578 posts, read 6,718,858 times
We went canoeing and kayaking the past couple of weekends in Morro Bay, so there are some outdoors things to do there. As mentioned, it's a quiet place and not what most would consider great for a social life for a 23-year old. There are many places to consider out here in CA, and I wouldn't dismiss the cities, because you could even find your niche in places like San Diego and even L.A. County. There are individual towns that might suit you fine. Personally, I'm kind of done with SoCal for the traffic issues, but you might like it despite that. There are literally dozens of nice towns to choose from that are not too far from the coast. The important things will be 1) job and 2) affordability.
The most dog-friendly town in CA might be Carmel. You might look on the 'dog friendly', or was it 'pet friendly' website and look up beaches. That might help you narrow down the search.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,941,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab.painter View Post
Thanks for the info on Guerneville, I looked it up and it looks beautiful! Would you say it would be a better place than MB for a single 23 year old? If you wouldn't mind..what are some of the other towns on the river that are popular?

I have a degree in Liberal Arts and I have worked in many fields including; office type work/receptionist, personal assistant, and have worked for a long time in Childcare. I would not mind living in a town and commuting to work in a closer town with more job opportunities. I just want to live in a chill town with still plenty to do, if there is such a thing!
A tolerant, liberal type of country person should find any of the Russian River towns likely more fun and interesting than Morro Bay. MB is somewhat conservative, in addition to being (terribly) quiet. Pretty boring place, but pretty. I'm great with 'boring', as a retired guy with entirely too much excitement in my past. But I truly can't imagine a single 23-year-old being happy for long in MB.

The Russian River towns west of Hwy101 include Forestville, Monte Rio, Duncan Mills, out to Jenner on the coast -- as well as Guerneville. Of these, Guerneville is the only semi-lively place -- quite lively in summer, less so the rest of the year, but still the center of the little region's activity. Monte Rio is the next most 'town-like', but it's not too much. Forestville, Duncan Mills, and Jenner are all pretty much just housing communities. All are in the forest (except Jenner which is in the open at the coast), and the river canyon in these areas can be quite steep so winter sun is short and difficult in spots, depending on which side of the road, etc. In general, it is a pretty 'live and let live' kind of region, with a very woodsy character, lots of outdoor activities, and some great weather much of the year (LOTS of rainfall in winters but not always gray overcast like the Pacific NW). There is such a range of summer rental cabins that you can find any level of luxury / expense, but also LOTS of inexpensive / funky housing. The area population includes an amazing variety of folks! A sprinkling of unsavory, as anywhere, but the majority are a range of mostly well behaved: wool-shirt country-mice, sprinkled with tree-hugger liberals, lots of artists, some bona-fide intellectuals, and some gay expatriots from the Bay cities. I find the variety refreshing That said, it is not really a "youthful" place ... but way more so accommodating than MB.

MB has San Luis Obispo nearby, which is a terrific town -- though also slightly conservative. Russian River towns have Santa Rosa and Sebastopol within 30 minutes, and San Francisco only an hour and a half away. If you can't find whatever distraction you seek in the Bay area, you won't find it anywhere on this planet.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 PM

212 posts, read 298,252 times
From someone who has actually lived in Morro Bay, and around the County for 17 years, starting in my 20s, I can give you some info on it. Some of the comments have been from people that have not lived there, or not lived their since they were teens. So you'll want to have a variety of viewpoints.

No, it's not foggy most of the time in Morro Bay. Like any beach town in California, the summers have morning fog that usually burns off around noon. The rest of the year it's gorgeous, and usually in the upper 60s weather-wise.

Morro Bay is generally safe.. I've never felt uncomfortable there. A young single woman would feel very comfortable living day to day there. There is plenty to do in San Luis Obispo, so unless you're needing things right in town to do, you'd be driving 15 minutes into the "city."

As far as the dogs go... yes, there is a dog area on the beach, unleashed but I'd never have my dog offleash so close to the Highway. There is also a new dog park in Morro Bay, plus the original park in SLO (not far from Morro Bay on Highway 1)

You can find a rental, though it's a bit harder with dogs -- depends on the dog. I have seen rentals with pets from $750.00 and up, but if you're willing to share, then you may find something cheaper.

Contrary to what others have written, Morro Bay is not all senior citizens. Yes, it's a great place for people to retire, but I know a lot of people in their 20s and 30s that love the beach, and the quiet pace of Morro Bay.

You'd have to visit it to see what you think. If you have an idea that it's anything like a typical california beach town, like Huntington Beach or Malibu, then you'll be disappointed. It's a cute and sleepy little harbor town, but very livable. Hope that helps.

ON EDIT: Morro Bay is not a conservative town. It's just a town. There are people of all political stripes, but trends toward the left of center. SLO is not conservative either, and is probably more left-leaning. Anything over the Cuesta Grade/North County is conservative, because it's more rural.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 PM

6,530 posts, read 14,012,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
,,,,The most dog-friendly town in CA might be Carmel. You might look on the 'dog friendly', or was it 'pet friendly' website and look up beaches. That might help you narrow down the search.
I rented a house in Carmel a couple years. The maid left placemats with dog friendly restaurants on it. They even have menus for dogs. I ate at Forge In The Forest out in the patio with my dog several times a week. The beach is well groomed and not just dog friendly - dog invited. Go to the bank, tellers have bowls of water under the counter and a bowl of dog bones.

Carmel and Monterey can get quite a bit of traffic on weekends. Easy enough to get around when you figure out which streets to take to avoid traffic. If you live in Carmel you will need a post office box. The homes do not have addresses, homes are named! Mail is only delivered to PO boxes, businesses might get theirs delivered but I doubt it. My rent on a 2 bedroom was $2500 a month. Cheaper rents up in Seaside and Marina.

My folks live a few miles out of Morro Bay. The town depends on tourists, there are surf shops and skate stores. A lot of sea food restaurants. It is a sleepy town. I have scuba dived in the bay a few times. It would be great for paddle boards and kayaks as the break water keeps the surf down.

You may want to look at Mendocino as well. More stores for a base in town, a lot of art galleries. Of the whole state Mendocino is my first choice to move when I retire in a few years.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 AM

1,634 posts, read 4,113,773 times
Los Osos

Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,070,387 times
Los Oso's, a fine place, it is where I lived when I got out of the service nearly 40 years ago.. How is the infamous sewer project, and is there an onerous assessment to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California