Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

State's GOP is sinking fast - latimes.com

More analysis of the election:

"The Republican Party not just wounded, it's in a coma," says Republican Lt. Gov. Abel Maldonado.

"Cooley has been elected and reelected D.A. as an individual," Spillane wrote. "The moment the word 'Republican' appeared on the ballot next to [his] name in heavily Democratic Los Angeles County, it was a huge anchor that dragged him down, exacerbated by the collapse of the GOP ticket in the final week of the campaign."

"Being a liberal from San Francisco is not a negative anymore. Being a Republican is a greater liability."

The biggest shock of the 2010 election is what happened in California and took the wind out of the Republican victories nationwide. Republicans are confused and bewildered and wondering if they can ever win in California especially in a year that was theirs for the taking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
State's GOP is sinking fast - latimes.com

More analysis of the election:

"The Republican Party not just wounded, it's in a coma," says Republican Lt. Gov. Abel Maldonado.

"Cooley has been elected and reelected D.A. as an individual," Spillane wrote. "The moment the word 'Republican' appeared on the ballot next to [his] name in heavily Democratic Los Angeles County, it was a huge anchor that dragged him down, exacerbated by the collapse of the GOP ticket in the final week of the campaign."

"Being a liberal from San Francisco is not a negative anymore. Being a Republican is a greater liability."

The biggest shock of the 2010 election is what happened in California and took the wind out of the Republican victories nationwide. Republicans are confused and bewildered and wondering if they can ever win in California especially in a year that was theirs for the taking.
I actually voted for Maldonado.

I wonder if the GOP in California will undergo a make over of some sorts. I don't think it will die out so to speak but will transform itself, effectively not part of the GOP anymore as the party likely wouldn't associate themselves with a transformed, more moderate faction.

Figured I'd get this in before everyone started attacking you.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

I wonder if the GOP in California will undergo a make over of some sorts. I don't think it will die out so to speak but will transform itself, effectively not part of the GOP anymore as the party likely wouldn't associate themselves with a transformed, more moderate faction.

You have a state of voters who mostly have connection to welfare or government employee unions. So many people have their hands in the state treasury that this state is sinking fast.
Most Democrat states like California are also in the worst shape because the Democrat party has convinced people to take other people's money and not work as hard in exchange for voting Democrat.

Democrats have a plate of hundred dollar bills for voters even though the whole state will collapse. If people go for that, how do Republicans get votes pushing balanced budgets, living within your means and telling people to be responsible for themselves?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Cool story bro.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:45 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
It's full proof method, get as many California residents on welfare or reliant on government programs and you will have a voting base for your entire life!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

The postmortem of the election is leaving Republicans wondering if they can recover as a political party in California so long as they associate with the national GOP. Cooley is the prime example. When voters in Los Angeles realized he was a Republican he was doomed and why he downplayed as much as possible his affiliation to the GOP. Cooley was considered a good public servant and continued to win county-wide elections but never had to reveal that he was a Republican. Now I know why the county sheriff, Lee Baca endorsed Jerry Brown and Barbara Boxer; he is a Republican also and wants to stay sheriff.

It's like a witch hunt and Republicans are being run out of California.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times
California is sinking fast too. Coincidence?

I don't what the difference between the parties is nowdays anyway. Going by Reagan's and Arnold's records Republicans can go pound sand as much as Democrats. Screw them.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Well the ones that did win will yield considerable power in congress now.

Calif. Republicans to wield power in new Congress - ContraCostaTimes.com (http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_16639166 - broken link)

Also once new legislative districts are drawn in CA, republicans will have a better chance at winning seats in CA's legislature than they did before. I'm not saying republicans are the answer to all of societies current problems but it's obvious democrats aren't either. The best thing that could come out of newly redrawn districts are more moderate politicians of either party.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:16 AM

170 posts, read 533,280 times
I think you mean to say California is ****ed up...

Let the liberal hippies have it

Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 AM

313 posts, read 450,607 times
California needs leaders who can make difficult, tough-love decisions without being concerned about popularity polls. But I can't see that happening due to the same reasons one poster listed above regarding those living off the government (which includes illegals). Sometimes I think the Golden State thinks that its money grows on trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California