Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,629,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
shoveling snow does not seem like my cup of tea thats a good point. I'm just at the early stages of considering places for retirement. Spent some time there during the summer and love it a few years ago.
I lived at Truckee/Tahoe for thirty years, I loved it and miss it. But, if you are not into snow, It gets old pretty quickly. We came over I80 from Reno yesterday, Chain Controls for 60 miles. We don't miss that.

I would shoot myself before I lived in Las Vegas, but Pahrump is decent, room to move around. Buy a Jeep, load it up with water, shovels, rations etc and wander around in one of the most delightful deserts in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Id probably prefer Reno which is nearby but is bigger and offers more amenities but still is relaxed compared to the hustle and bustle of California.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 PM

If one likes the esthetics of rural or small town living, Reno may not fit.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turu View Post
handling two places would be sweet. certainly something to consider. and yeah its very pretty! possibly a time share situation etc. i'm considering inexpensive places like vegas, maybe coupled with a place like tahoe. alot more thought will be given, i still have a few more years
You may want to look into some of the areas in NM. They are pretty, low cost of living and lots of retireees. You may also want to look into a few towns east of Reno and then there is Paradise, Ca. If I were moving back that would be my first choice.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I lived at Truckee/Tahoe for thirty years, I loved it and miss it. But, if you are not into snow, It gets old pretty quickly. We came over I80 from Reno yesterday, Chain Controls for 60 miles. We don't miss that.

I would shoot myself before I lived in Las Vegas, but Pahrump is decent, room to move around. Buy a Jeep, load it up with water, shovels, rations etc and wander around in one of the most delightful deserts in the world.
Pahrump was our first choice for a few years, but there are several problems: there are almost no building codes so you can have a run down trailer next to a 4000 sq ft mansion, there are almost no medical facilities and 60 miles to Vegas can mean life of death and there is a water shotage problem.

Nita

Old 11-28-2010, 04:37 PM

I for one would never live in an area with CC&R's, a lack of planning or building codes works fine for me. Having a bit of land to run around in is something you can do in Pahrump.

Eliminating a town from ones list because medical facilities are limited, means that 90% of Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico would be eliminated from one's list.

There is seldom a water shortage problem, however usage problems are not unusual. After all, the Paiutes lived around Pahrump quite happily. Incidentally the Paiute word 'pah' means water, Tonopah, pahrump were named for the presence of water. In fact, Paiute should be Pah ute, Water Utes.

Pahrump, or Shoshone or Tecopa,
on the California side are great places to live, if one likes the out of doors, and the desert. If one is not an outdoors person it matters not where one lives.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:19 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,126,637 times
Lake tahoe would be a god awful place to retire (expensive, lots of rowdy tourists/drunkards/druggies), about as bad as santa cruz.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
expensive, lots of rowdy tourists/drunkards/druggies
it is only expensive to those for whom it is expensive, and if you stay out of south shore the rowdytouristdrunkarddruggie population is negligible.

Tahoe is one of the incomparable sights of the world, and a find place to live, if you like being outside.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM

125 posts, read 227,565 times
Lots of valuable information here to think about and ponder! Its a good thing I have a couple of years to research/explore/visit. Right now I'm very open to ideas and hopefully as I get closer to retirement I wouldve narrowed my choice(s). I havent ruled out staying in california. I own a home here. Been too busy with working that I really dont have time to really enjoy it. Perhaps my perspecitive will change for the better once I dont have to deal with an alarm clock!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:54 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,255,627 times
I am a self proclaimed hater of California. I admit it and don't hide it. But if I could afford Lake Tahoe, I'd retire there. Great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California