Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times

Advertisements

I think Goldiemom may be referring to the excellent movie "Waiting for Superman" which places the blame squarely on the tenure system,and by extension, the teachers' unions. It features Bill Gates (who is NOT a right-winger)prominently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,006 times
I was raised in Eureka. I raised my son there for 9 years . Some of my family live there still. I would say that it is a good town to raise children, teenagers tend to get bored ~ but again if you're very family focused and doing a lot of outdoor activities it will be a positive experience for your children. I sent my son to the same catholic school that I attended which is smaller and quality education. It is very wet, cold but sometimes the fall (Sept - Nov) are exceptional. Air is clean. We did not have issues with drug users. All the best for you and yours in your big decision.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 AM

93 posts, read 182,495 times
Default take a look at city-data

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuras View Post
I have a nice job offer in Eureka with the USFS but I also have two young children (ages 2 & 5). I have many concerns about whether I should relocate from Southern California and take this job. (I am originally from Michigan so I am used to dreary and colder weather).

I have read the archived threads about the Eureka area (McKinleyville, Fortuna, Aracata) and I am concerned about moving my family there.

1) I am okay with the pot culture as long as it doesn't interfere with daily life. To each there own.

2) I am concerned about the otherwise depressed economy and is it a nice place to raise a family?

3) I have often believed that it is not WHERE you raise your children but HOW you raise them. That said, I don't want to regret my decision since we are leaving a nice home in the So-Cal burbs with good schools and low crime rates (in our neck of the palms).

4) I am also concerned about medical care and schools.

Your thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated!
If you go to the city-data page for eureka, it should answer your question. Scroll down to the FBI Crime Index part of the page. See? Its DOWN from the 600's, into the high 500's. The average American city/town is about 320. Crime here is about the same as South Central L.A....

House prices are HIGH, compared to a lot of other places that are nicer. If you have to be in the North end of CA, look at Fortuna. If you are just still looking, look at Medford, OR. NEW, (less that five years old) 3Bd 2Ba homes are going for $75,000. In Eureka, for similar homes, try $225,000, and in Arcata, $275,000.

High crime, high home prices (why???) and four or five hours to drive to a large city. Single adults, or couples can do well in Eureka/Arcata, if they are well off. Jobs are scarce, and low-paying. But to raise children, mmeeehhh. Try Medford, OR, or other child-friendly areas.

Now: that is just an opinion, and how I would approach looking for a place to raise a family. If you love smoking pot, and being dressed up means your new Woolrich plaid (or affliction T-Shirt), and cleanest jeans, then Eureka would be like heaven. It has some beautiful scenery, lays right on the water, and is a great place to hide out. Fresh Crab are usually in the stores, and gas prices are the highest in the country. (today, avg is $3.45. Costco is about $3.25).

Just an OPINION!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Default no issues? with drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEli View Post
We did not have issues with drug users. All the best for you and yours in your big decision.
I don't know where you are looking, but Lima's, Redwood and Cloneys (local Drugstores) have all been victims of armed robbery in the last 6 months or so. NOT for cash, but DRUGS! I think it was one of them that got robbed twice, by a guy with a gun, who walked PAST the cash register, straight to the Rx counter, and demanded all of the Oxycontin. And other opiates (?).

It seems like about at least of a third of all of the pot busts turn up weapons and meth. Pot use in high-school age youth has, for the first time in a decade, gone on the rise.

And the cuts that Swarchinator made are paring down the police presence.

I wanna live where you live, if drugs are not an issue there.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Yeah, the economy up there isn't that good but it would be a better place to raise a small family since it's a small town. But if you are in a good spot now, then I would not risk moving up there.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Default just to reiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yeah, the economy up there isn't that good but it would be a better place to raise a small family since it's a small town. But if you are in a good spot now, then I would not risk moving up there.
I do not mean to disparage the north coast, but, given the choice, knowing what I know after spending over 10 years in and about the area, that there are a lot of places that come to mind that I would offer as better places to raise children.

Everyone knows that the MAJORITY of the knowledge and awareness that kids will absorb MUST come primarily from the parents and from the home environment. But a close second source is the support system that is available in the area. The area in question has lost tons of resource (in great part to the status of the economy, I'm sure) to funding teachers, anti-drug advocacy organizations, and things/places for kids to go and hang out. From firsthand knowledge, I can say that the #1 reason people in this area use to 'blame' for their participation in alcohol/drug consuming activities is boredom. When groups of kids feel 'bored' it can lend itself to the introduction of alcohol/drug use as a fix for the boredom. And that happens in the Arcata/Eureka/Redwood area as well as any other location.

I think that the high FBI crime index is fueled by the method of reporting the crime data that is used to form those stats. But, the numbers are real. So, I think that my first concern would be in looking for an area with the lowest consecutive running crime index. You find a town that consistently has less that 200 for an index, you can feel pretty safe that your odds are better than in a town that runs in the high 500's and into the 600's for long periods.

Good luck. Let us know if you actually go to visit the area you are thinking about.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:27 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappingfish View Post
I do not mean to disparage the north coast, but, given the choice, knowing what I know after spending over 10 years in and about the area, that there are a lot of places that come to mind that I would offer as better places to raise children.

Everyone knows that the MAJORITY of the knowledge and awareness that kids will absorb MUST come primarily from the parents and from the home environment. But a close second source is the support system that is available in the area. The area in question has lost tons of resource (in great part to the status of the economy, I'm sure) to funding teachers, anti-drug advocacy organizations, and things/places for kids to go and hang out. From firsthand knowledge, I can say that the #1 reason people in this area use to 'blame' for their participation in alcohol/drug consuming activities is boredom. When groups of kids feel 'bored' it can lend itself to the introduction of alcohol/drug use as a fix for the boredom. And that happens in the Arcata/Eureka/Redwood area as well as any other location.

I think that the high FBI crime index is fueled by the method of reporting the crime data that is used to form those stats. But, the numbers are real. So, I think that my first concern would be in looking for an area with the lowest consecutive running crime index. You find a town that consistently has less that 200 for an index, you can feel pretty safe that your odds are better than in a town that runs in the high 500's and into the 600's for long periods.

Good luck. Let us know if you actually go to visit the area you are thinking about.
There's probably more drugs there becasue of low income people trying to escape reality. Eureka isn't the best city to find upper middle class families, college educated workers, and safe neighborhoods but it beats being around gangs at school.

Another word of advice is that it's never easy to move when your kids have already settled into a place. If your kids are fine, live in a safe neighborhood, and have a good job now why jeopardize that for an okay town. The community I live in, not even a city or town, was boring to grow up in and kids never drove to where all the excitement was in high school until their senior year. It was boring here, but it was safe growing up here and there are alot of parents that are educated.

Now, that I am in college I can still see people calling our area boring. There's a college town nearby so alot of teens go there for nightlife and some complain that we don't have enough bars or not one decent night club. But most of my friends have been able to have fun without being in that scene.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 PM

11 posts, read 34,885 times
Recently moved to Humboldt. You are right to be concerned about the economy. It is visibly depressed and depressing, particularly in Eureka. Climate is drastically different, as is the culture. Drug issue is not in your face -- no worries there. Plus, it helps feed the local economy. If you are an outdoors-guy, this could be an nice place for you. If you need a metropolitan, you are in for culture shock. Best recommendation. Spend a few days here during the week to see if you like it.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,766 times
Default Decision?

So here it is 7 months later... did you decide to make the move?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Maybe if you can live in Arcata, Ferndale, etc. would be fine, but candidly Eureka's a pretty run-down, blue collar town... and not in a good way, where I'd be more worried about meth types there than pot. Mother faces murder charge over meth-laced breast milk | Eureka - Appeal-Democrat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California