Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:16 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbcnwoeur View Post
SLO is very rural- Would you like me to give you stats on just how bad off rural America is? I'm guessing you know.

So, if you would like to look forward to lower life expectancy, lower income, higher crime and lower edu-macation, your current philosophy will serve you well in SLO.
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.
You can have growth, malls, high crime urban areas. SLO residents enjoy perfect weather, picturesque settings, great food, produce, world class wineries, great beaches and a location close enough but not to close to LA and SF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 09:42 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Wait a second, your much prized Whole Foods is a big box store? Or in SLO does that not apply, because it's only "Big box stores we in SLO don't like, and we alone in SLO determine the ones we like and do not like"..

And downtown SLO largely sucks. Aside from one or two decent and unique food places, it's got the same Sunglass hut and rocket fizz and Apple Store as all the anytown USA.

It's pretty clear who doesn't get out much. I had some relatives come in from out of state. Took them to downtown SLO. They took a look around and asked us where the good, cool stores were...

So, the OP started out this thread about how people were not welcoming in AG. As you can see there is a backward "growth is bad" and "new people are bad" mentality in this small, poor town and county called San Luis Obispo. All of you who romanticize this area can't say you weren't warned.
Well hey now. I think I just figured out where your point of view comes from: you're residing at the CMC, right? You can't leave until your sentence is served. Otherwise you'd escape the hellhole of SLO, no doubt.

My "much prized Whole Foods"? Nevermind that I stated clearly several times my distaste for WF's coming to SLO, eh? The rest of that first paragraph of yours really doesn't make a lick of sense, either.

"Backward growth is bad"? Couple ways to read that. But any way you shake it it comes out right. My position entirely: "Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell", remember?

"New people are bad"? Um, well not exactly that simple. New people who want to develop the Central Coast into yet another vacuous sprawl of strip malls and Macy's and tacky housing developments - um, yeah. They would be bad and unwelcome.

Tell you what, sport. I won't campaign for tearing down all the wastelands of developed SoCal and the Bay Area with all their crime and traffic ... and Macy's. So you can go there and wallow in chintzy mindless consumerist lifestyle competition to your little heart's delight. And in return, you and your like-minded just leave SLO alone in its backward primitive bliss. Okiedoke?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:56 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
SLO is very rural- Would you like me to give you stats on just how bad off rural America is? I'm guessing you know.

So, if you would like to look forward to lower life expectancy, lower income, higher crime and lower edu-macation, your current philosophy will serve you well in SLO.
You keep trying to argue issues I haven't addressed and really don't care about much, but just one last quickie response for you here for quick exercise in logic. Rural living is not a causative factor for low life expectancy, low income, higher crime, or low education. Regardless of correlative stats you might dig out - correlation doesn't equate to causation. If you think you can prove that living rurally causes those issues you'd be breaking medical and sociological scientific ground and I'm sure researchers from all around the world would love for you to publish your findings in peer journals so they can pick you to pieces.

Toodles.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:14 PM

22 posts, read 29,436 times
I appreciate the comments to the original poster who doesn't seem to share my town search filters. I'm considering "AG" to relocate from San Jose for moi/myself. So I'm thinking AG is probably not more expensive than Westish San Jose or areas like Pacific Grove and maybe even Aptos.

Wishlist; Looking for cooler temps.(but not real snow), nature/space (will miss redwoods currently over the hill from Felton), less traffic, less loud (more space), less tech., less political, reasonably close to a Trader Joe's and Peet's, good bookstore and library system, awesome clouds and sunsets and the ability to see stars. If there's a place that can pour a proper Guinness that would be a plus, as would be live music blues/jazz/rock, an archery range and farmer's market. Not a fan of others imposing their religion, politics, thumpy/loud sounds, "yappy" dogs, or "screamimy/thug2B kid" etc. Open to town suggestions along the coast up through the Washington islands based on my filters.

One of the websites, when I put in info., suggested Pismo Beach (which was off my radar) since I was northern CA, Oregon, and Washington Islands areas. AG seemed less crowded than PB with better weather.

I'm recently retired, can always sub. in CA for extra funds, maybe tutor (depending on area's educational frame), with a particular niche writing goal,.. so job availability is somewhat irrelevant for a change. So, being able to turn off the millennium frame and be in a safe bedroom community sounds lovely as long as I can drive to stuff and appreciate home. I've been a little anti-progress myself since it became required without considering ramifications or quality, de-imaginative and with a 21st century trajectory like a bad Sci-fi novel.

That said, could AG be an individualistic happy chill space for a creative senior, quirky like Ravenclaw, to grow older nurture eccentricity and imagination?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
I like Cayucos best from that area. AG is too close to Santa Maria.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:28 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
San Luis Obispo has everything you listed.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:25 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSta View Post
I appreciate the comments to the original poster who doesn't seem to share my town search filters. I'm considering "AG" to relocate from San Jose for moi/myself. So I'm thinking AG is probably not more expensive than Westish San Jose or areas like Pacific Grove and maybe even Aptos.

Wishlist; Looking for cooler temps.(but not real snow), nature/space (will miss redwoods currently over the hill from Felton), less traffic, less loud (more space), less tech., less political, reasonably close to a Trader Joe's and Peet's, good bookstore and library system, awesome clouds and sunsets and the ability to see stars. If there's a place that can pour a proper Guinness that would be a plus, as would be live music blues/jazz/rock, an archery range and farmer's market. Not a fan of others imposing their religion, politics, thumpy/loud sounds, "yappy" dogs, or "screamimy/thug2B kid" etc. Open to town suggestions along the coast up through the Washington islands based on my filters.

One of the websites, when I put in info., suggested Pismo Beach (which was off my radar) since I was northern CA, Oregon, and Washington Islands areas. AG seemed less crowded than PB with better weather.

I'm recently retired, can always sub. in CA for extra funds, maybe tutor (depending on area's educational frame), with a particular niche writing goal,.. so job availability is somewhat irrelevant for a change. So, being able to turn off the millennium frame and be in a safe bedroom community sounds lovely as long as I can drive to stuff and appreciate home. I've been a little anti-progress myself since it became required without considering ramifications or quality, de-imaginative and with a 21st century trajectory like a bad Sci-fi novel.

That said, could AG be an individualistic happy chill space for a creative senior, quirky like Ravenclaw, to grow older nurture eccentricity and imagination?

Pismo or AG could, but you may like the quirkiness of Morro Bay, Cayucos, Cambria and there is always SLO...

Old 12-13-2017, 12:13 AM

Does it have there wind, rain, clouds? How hot does it get? A little less millennial attitude and politics in your face? How hot does it get? I want a nature space to come home to without imposing noise. Figure it's close enough to places to visit; I want to turn it off in my space.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:02 AM

671 posts, read 445,465 times
SLO is a beautiful town. Actually, all of SLO county is. Problem is...the cost of rentals.
Weather usually is 60 to 85 year round. It can drop down into the 40s during winter. Depends on the Santa Ana winds. Yes, it can be windy but not often. Go 13 miles west and you can have all the clouds/fog you wish. Political party is mainly democrats but that is like saying every girl in California is like in the Beach Boys song.
They don't call it SLO county for nothing..its a busy town, but slowwwwwwwww. They frown on growth but love high rentals for the college students that congregate all over the central coast. The people that own those rentals live in LA and take advantage of student housing shortages. Unfortunately, that housing shortage affects seniors and low income families. In order to survive, you need a lot of roommates helping pay that rent.

I suggest you take a ride down there and stay in a motel for a couple of days. AG is nice too. So is Grover Beach, Cayucos (great quaint little town right on the beach but expensive), Cambria (where the mountains meet the ocean..also expensive), SLO, Morro Bay (tourist trap, expensive). All above are wonderful places to live but it will cost you.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 AM

I'm considering, so far virtually, relocating from San Jose, somewhere near the coast or island from Ca to Washington.

I would love to live in a shire with a Trader Joe's near by. I would miss walking in the redwoods and smelling CA Bay laurel. Do you get rain and can you see the stars? How moderate is the weather (south bay weather wimpy; never been in snow and don't do heat). Would like a good library and bookstore, quaint shops, good pub grub (maybe open mic music), ability to take a class, nature scapes with wind clouds and sunsets with iodine air, and low tech noise, traffic and 'tude. Like the idea of returning to the shire. How country rural is it? trying to find a less frantic, less millennial catered to happy place. At least the ability to leave it and go home. Can you see stars? Probably interested in very places the original poster would not be. Thanks for your itemized info retort. It's less secluded than Gasquet, Gold Beach, and some Washington islands. What do you appreciate about AG?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California