U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 7,349 times

Advertisements

I was privileged to live in Arroyo Grande for 2 years in the early 1980's. We still have many friends there and often spend our vacations in nearby Pismo Beach. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can make a living there is very fortunate indeed. It is an absolutely gorgeous area and close enough to the ocean to make the weather wonderful year round. The people are nice, the shopping adequate, and San Luis Obispo is just a scenic 20 minute drive up the freeway. Bernardo's has the best ice cream on the planet and I adore the beautiful creek, bridge and historic neighborhood just across the street. Unfortunately it has been discovered by the wealthy retirees from the North, South and East so it much more expensive now than when I lived there...but no doubt worth every penny. Who can blame them for wanting to move to paradise? Arroyo Grande will always hold a special place in my heart. Maybe one day I'll get to retire there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:54 PM

96 posts, read 159,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispa View Post
I was privileged to live in Arroyo Grande for 2 years in the early 1980's. We still have many friends there and often spend our vacations in nearby Pismo Beach. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can make a living there is very fortunate indeed. It is an absolutely gorgeous area and close enough to the ocean to make the weather wonderful year round. The people are nice, the shopping adequate, and San Luis Obispo is just a scenic 20 minute drive up the freeway. Bernardo's has the best ice cream on the planet and I adore the beautiful creek, bridge and historic neighborhood just across the street. Unfortunately it has been discovered by the wealthy retirees from the North, South and East so it much more expensive now than when I lived there...but no doubt worth every penny. Who can blame them for wanting to move to paradise? Arroyo Grande will always hold a special place in my heart. Maybe one day I'll get to retire there.

Burnardo'z candy kitchen and ice cream is now called Doc Burnstein's ice cream lab since around 2003. But they seem to have carried on the Burnardo'z tradition quite well.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,874 times
Default Tarantulas?

How common are tarantulas in the Central Coast area? My husband and I have been considering relocating to SLO or AG and I am extremely afraid of spiders, but can deal with the black widow-sized ones. Tarantulas are a different matter. This could be a deal-breaker for our move.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,856,642 times
They're everywhere!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,535,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDogLover View Post
How common are tarantulas in the Central Coast area? My husband and I have been considering relocating to SLO or AG and I am extremely afraid of spiders, but can deal with the black widow-sized ones. Tarantulas are a different matter. This could be a deal-breaker for our move.
I have never seen a tarantula in or around AG. They are more common in east and north county where it is warmer.

Relax, they are harmless, it is the little guys like the black widow or the brown recluse that will kill you. Black widows are very common around here.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:00 AM

6 posts, read 8,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I have never seen a tarantula in or around AG. They are more common in east and north county where it is warmer.

Relax, they are harmless, it is the little guys like the black widow or the brown recluse that will kill you. Black widows are very common around here.
Yes indeed, we used to have lots of them in Paso Robles. They are harmless and rather cute. Used to put them onto a piece of cardboard and put them in the empty field across from my house so the cats would not bother them.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,874 times
Are the tarantulas out and about all year round or do they have a mating season where they are more active? By "lots of them", does that mean one a day or a few a year? Do they actually come into the houses or do they stay outside?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,548 times
Question Where are you living now?

[quote=mrmax2;16891416]I felt obliged to give some feedback on this city....since we had problems finding detailed information on this city, as we relocated to the area a while back, from out of state.
BASICS:
If you're used to seasons (i.e. fall, winter, spring, summer), low prices, cheap housing, lots of parks and family fun, many alternatives for shopping, cheap gas, good shopping, easy access to airports and nice people....well, THEN DO NOT MOVE HERE!
Rather think about Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Portland etc.

I value your opinion. But, I am taking back by your choices of places that you rather be (Phoenix with six months of intense heat; Salt Lake City where you have to keep the heat going for 24 hours a day for 7 months; Las Vegas with most jobs you can get are cleaning rooms and also is extremely hot for six months of the year; and finaly, Portland where rains almost everyday and expensive real estate.
I hope you are now in Phoenix. The rents should be reasonable because most people abandoned their houses and moved back to California. They didn't even bother to sell them.

I live in New England and I want to move away from the paradise of the 4 seasons- mostly from the snow. Can anyone suggest a town with a certain amount of community environment with cafes, etc. A place where I can walk from home to a cafe. I am european and living in New England for 30 years. But, I still miss the eu ways of living. Is it possible to find a place in California where I can spend my retiring years and feel like home?
I would appreciate your suggestions.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Status: "Do U follow politics? UMMM, do you mean like Football???" (set 8 days ago)

8,536 posts, read 5,881,513 times
Why do people even post stuff like this.................just totally biased dreck that does not give someone an overall feel for the place.

WOW...........there's spiders and ants in California................THE HORROR.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,535,412 times
[quote=JStuff;22088778][quote=mrmax2;16891416]I felt obliged to give some feedback on this city....since we had problems finding detailed information on this city, as we relocated to the area a while back, from out of state.
BASICS:
If you're used to seasons (i.e. fall, winter, spring, summer),

There are four seasons, Summer is foggy and cold, Winter is fogless and warm, Spring can be either, and either can be Fall.

low prices,

Not sure what is being considered, but fresh vegies are cheap, strawberrys are cheap, hay isn't.

cheap housing, There must be cheap housing, there are non wealthy people here.

lots of parks and family fun, There are lots of parks, City, County and State, and a million acres of National Forest. I have no idea how anyone could think otherwise. Family fun? Heck, maybe they are disappointed there isn't Disneyland. There is lots of bicycling, dune riding, horse riding, hiking, sailing, motor boating, skiing is terrible, but everything else I can think of is here.

many alternatives for shopping, Another odd one, it is hard to think of something someone cannot buy here.

cheap gas, Gas can be gotten somewhere else cheaper, Gas can be gotten somewhere else more expensively, just like everywhere else.

good shopping, Once more, with Home Depot, Miners Hardware, Ace and True Value, it is hard to think of anything that one cannot buy locally.

easy access to airports Yet another strange one, with two commercial airports within a half hour, if one says there is no easy access to airports, one is wrong.

and nice people....well, As has been shown many times throughout the history of mankind, nice gets nice. If one cannot find nice people, one must look inward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California