U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:33 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,679,349 times

Advertisements

They have to go somewhere, the question is...where would you like to put them? Sandy, I'm sorry your complex went to pot but I have to say that years ago when I did social work, I worked out of Lake View Terrace and that area scared the daylights out of me even when the sun was up. I never went back after I resigned.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,683,924 times
Default Too late...

I think its too late for CA to fix the problem of welfare. Its broke and
way beyond fixing. When we first moved back to CA about 6 yrs ago
to Lompoc CA, we really didnt know about Sec 8, our realtor didnt tell
us either. We bought a house in an ok neigborhood(for Lompoc) but
didnt realize it had Sec 8 two streets over. They are everywhere in this
town. We sold and thank God got a decent price a couple months back.
But now we KNOW what to look for in a neighborhood. And boy, do those
Sec 8 people know how to work the system or should I say OUR tax
dollars.

Greenchili

Old 07-13-2007, 03:45 PM

2,533 posts, read 7,733,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00kies View Post
HUD, welfare, food stamps, and all sort of gov. help should be for a limited period of time. I know a lady with 2 kids (17 and 9) who has been living under welfare for more than 7 years. She can afford to buy her sons $2k laptops, $5k camera's lens, PSP, PS3, and a lot of other gadgets. WTH????? Sorry, this has nothing to do with the topic, I'm just venting because I can't stand people who take advantage of the system...not wanting to work...while others are busting their @ss off working and paying taxes to feed this people. Oh! and her sons attend to San Marino schools (I don't know how she did it), though her oldest son couldn't get into college.
there are hotlines to call to anonymously report this kind abuse of social services. instead of venting, why don't you report her-- repeatedly, if necessary.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:25 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Default Section 8 is everywhere... well almost.

Section 8 programs or their derivatives can be found in all 50 states.

True enough, many people outside the system have only recently found out about it and some are in total disbelief when they do. It is usually the people who scrimp and save, working multiple jobs to buy their little piece of the American Dream and then find out the family down the street is living in a similar home paying as little as $125 a month rent.

I've worked with Section 8 as far back as 1982... so I know it has been around at least 25 years. I think we do a lot as a country to help families in need and from my experience, the majority of the public doesn't have a clue as to how public housing works today.

As a practical matter, I don't know how one would know if a home or apartment is participating in a rent subsidy program. As a rental property owner, one can not discriminate based on a families source of income.

Since the program's inception, there has been a gradual shifting of responsibility from HUD to the individual rental property owner. Originally, HUD would handle any necessary evictions and until a few years ago, HUD would also pay for damages up to two times the monthly rent amount. This has all changed to the point where HUD basically inspects the unit once a year for Housing Quality Standards and mails the property owner a rent subsidy check each month on behalf of the family.

Every attempt to downsize the program his met with fierce opposition and Hurricane Katrina is responsible for one of it's largest expansions.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,204,648 times
I agree with someone else on here that said to report them if you think they are abusing the system.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:44 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,719,180 times
I bought a bungalow in a nice neighborhood next door to a Section 8 building. I didn't know it was Section 8, because the seller didn't disclose it, neither realtor ever mentioned it and I never thought to ask. It was a nice building, well maintained in a professional neighborhood of $700K+ homes.

Well, 30+ people lived in those four units and more were constantly coming and going. Hardly any of them worked, none of them were old, none were disabled and almost all of them drank, smoked and blasted their stereos at peak decibels. They seemed to never sleep, at least not at night. They would sit on their balconies until 3 or 4 in the morning and talk in loud voices, while cigarette smoked drifted down into windows I finally stopped opening. Every morning, I would pick beer cans and bottles out of my front yard, because I made the mistake of complaining about the noise, so my yard became their trash can.

Their kids ran wild. They set up a skateboard ramp in the middle of the street and took it over. Gangs of them would hang around in the neighbors' front yards, blasting their stereos and thumping their skateboards until you'd almost go insane. The police were called, but it didn't do any good and finally they stopped responding. Fences starting going up all over the neighborhood. If you complained, your fence mysteriously got tagged with spray paint. Your guests could never find a place to park, because the Section 8 building had only three single car garages for 30 people, so their fleet of cars monopolized the entire street.

The Section 8ers grilled out steak all the time, they would run to the ER every time one of them (or their kids) had a headache or a stomach ache (presumably because it was free). The rest of us working professionals who actually pay for health insurance, would have to be in immediate peril of death to seek expensive medical treatment. When the holidays rolled around, charities brought in piles of gifts and food. The kids complained. The gifts weren't what they wanted.

This is just my experience, and it was a nightmare. Some people truly deserve Section 8 and other government assistance, and I hope they get it. I suspect a lot of them do not. Section 8 is broken, probably beyond repair. Quiet, responsible, hardworking people want no part of it. Can you blame them?

Old 07-13-2007, 06:47 PM

12,440 posts, read 31,510,636 times
Don't blame section 8 blame the landlords most just collect the rent and to heck with up keep. Also blame the gov in the 1st place, When you go for disability it takes years. By that time you loose your home, dignity & everything. The checks are not that big. So how are you to get back, you don't.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,212,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
They have to go somewhere, the question is...where would you like to put them?
Why not your neighborhood?

I'm not saying that to be nasty, but why offer up everyone else's place and not your own?

I'm assuming no one wants them in their neighborhood simply because of the reputation they aready have.http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/shrug.gif (broken link)

Old 07-14-2007, 12:57 PM

21 posts, read 88,824 times
Default Be grateful! Paying taxes is for the priveleged fortunate!

Comparisons are odious and appearances. Judge a man only after walking in his footsteps.
Labeling people as "those people" is not helpful, IMO. It only leads to anger and that complicates the already dismal situation.
Don't judge everyone by the actions of a few.
THERE ARE REWARDS FOR WORKING! Many people yearn for the privilege and esteem that comes...from paying taxes.
Here's an example: I have a friend who is Bipolar and must subsist on SSI.
He got that when he was gravely disabled.
Through working with his doctors and therapists to a degree that would make climbing Mt. Everest easy in comparison, he is able to walk and talk now.
But he's stuck on disability. They have rules designed to keep him out of "your" neighborhood.
(Where he belongs. He has a Harvard education, but that was not enough to prevent him from getting sick). Bipolar (and genius) (!) ran in his family.
People saw what the apparently healthy young man looked like.
They saw the blooming complexion and the nicely shaved goatee.
They accused him of "shamming."
He had a VERY strong work ethic. He tried to work part time at various jobs such as janitorial work and as a stock boy at the grocery store, with minimum wage and no benefits.
But each time he was then redetermined by the government as "not disabled." The stress from working caused his condition to worsen.
But now he had NO medical insurance, and his medicine alone costs about $1000.00 per month.
The stress caused by living in Section 8 housing (He can't afford to live in a decent neighborhood. SSI funds are too low to pay one single months rent in any of the top 15 housing markets in the US.
There he was in Section * housing.
He had a neighbor who turned his stereo on full blast under his room at 3-4 AM and another who stalked him by making certain to confront him in the parking lot when he got home from work.
This disrupted his very important (to Bipolar) sleeping patterns.
His neighbors, since didn't work, and didn't want to, spent their time drinking.
They watched him leave and come back " home" at a time they KNEW.
One broke into his apartment while he was at work and killed his pet cat.
His Bipolar got worse.
He became depressed and couldn't get out of bed.
He attempted suicide but is saved by the landlord who came over only because he wanted his rent money.
The landlord evicted him. As an "undesirable tenant."
The poor guy wandered the streets without food or the medicine that would have helped him become a productive member of society.
He is treated by others as a member of the "Untouchable" caste.
And don't say there isn't any caste in America.
What do YOU think of? What do you see all over the news? Or on TV? The worst of the worst. Because "good news" doesn't sell!
So anyways, he has nowhere else to pee, (Where would YOU go if YOU were homeless? Several times a day?) And is arrested for urinating in an alley.
He throws a punch at a cop and in tied down in a cell. Absolutely helpless and out of his mind.
But they left the door open.
3 inmates proceeded to gang rape him and then gouged his eyes out(!) so they wouldn't be identified.
He is in custodial care at a state institution, and yes, we're paying for it.
Over $150,000.00 per year.
More than a decent place in at least OK neighborhood?
I'll bet he'd rather have been a college professor or a stock broker- and pay taxes.
What if he was your brother, father, son?
Before you judge someone, please consider that that person may have lived through a hell that makes your worst nightmares seem tame by comparison!
I ALSO get so tired of knee-jerk comments from people about "lazy" people
on the "dole."
Too often based on irrelevant characteristics, such as race or other external appearances.
Lastly, don't forget everyone is right, in their own eyes.
Jack the Ripper did the "right" thing, from his own perspective. Hitler, too. (And George Bush LOL).
A little compassion can go a long way. We're all in this together.
So have a little gratitude for your privilege of paying taxes! And quit your biotching!
(Well, maybe a little. LOL.)

Last edited by fuzzduckie; 07-14-2007 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-14-2007, 02:30 PM

199 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Good point. I think this falls into the same category as handicapped parking. Sometimes a person parks in the handicapped parking spot and gets out without a cane or wheelchair or other obvious disability and people assume the person is scamming. But many illnesses are on the inside. People with MS may tire very easy, but the disease hasn't put them in a wheel chair yet. I had Rheumatoid Arthritis for a few years in my teens and got a temporary parking sticker because of the extreme fatigue and joint pain it caused. But I didn't "look" handicapped.

And disability for a mental illness is similar. My brother may have bipolar, but he hasn't allowed the doctors to diagnose him. Right now he's gainfully employed, but it may not last. I would hate to see him suffer even a little bit like your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California