U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:15 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,317,371 times

Advertisements

I believe there are a lot more Section 8 rentals spread over a larger area than people realize. Not all Section 8 tenants are problem tenants. I've lived near several handicapped/elderly people who were receiving rent subsidies.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 AM

82 posts, read 330,516 times
Im not saying all Section 8 renters are bad....

As my mom says it "The decent people who are on Section 8, you wont even know it"

The only reason I have discovered the latest were Section 8 was due to the what started happening at the homes with the people and wondering what was going on, knowing nobody goes to work, and various other clues... and reporting to the tipline for help.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:26 AM

Ultra,
In our local paper they did a section a few weeks ago asking the public about unannounced inspections and how people felt about that one. As the Section 8 renters know when the inspections will occur so they get time to clean up, get the extra cars and drugs, etc out and appear nice on inspection day, people in our community recommended highly random inspections on a personal poll. Wether that can be done or changed to happen that way is another story. But the community supports the idea.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:56 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Default The community must come together to affect change

It is not uncommon for a Housing Authority to have it's own Police Officers. The "Force" may be as small as one officer or may have several.

The San Francisco Housing Authority got into trouble with their effective random inspection program. It was effective in catching law breakers, but proved very costly, in the millions of dollars, when the law breakers sued and settled.

I don't know all of the details... some of the points raised were that it is illegal to enter someone's home unless invited or by search warrant. Constitutional issues were raised regarding illegal search and siezure.

Even a property owner's right to enter is spelled out by statute and in just about all cases, barring an "Emergency" situation, advanced notice must be given.

HUD also instituted a Zero Tolerance policy on Drugs. It was highly effective because the penalty for any family member or guest convicted on drug charges was the immediate forfeiture of the family's Housing Voucher.

It was not too long before stories of disabled and elderly loosing their homes made the news. A well publicized case focused on a 78 year old, legally blind Grandmother who lost her Section 8 Certificate because her Grandson was dealing drugs from the Living Room.

I'm not saying the situation is hopeless, I am saying that nothing will improve unless and until communities come together and demand action and individuals are willing to stand up and testify in court if necessary.

Sadly, those that can would rather move than fight... leaving the problem to others.

I appreciate the opportunity this forum provides to exchange ideas and enjoy reading other viewpoints. Thank You to everyone for the kind comments.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-21-2007 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 12:54 AM

6 posts, read 34,519 times
Default Sect. 8 Participant

I stumbled across this blog as I was searching the net about landlord / tenant issuse for a close friend. I myself am a section 8 participant. I work and have done so the entire time I've been involved with the program. (incidentally it was how I got my voucher. A new program was started for working but lower income people to see if help with housing would improve their lives.) Prior to receiving my voucher I lived in a studio apartment with my daughter and spent 85% of my income on rent. Albeit I will admit that I lived in a much nicer neighborhood prior to receiving setion 8 assistance, I will also say that I have been provided with more space. It enabled me to rent a 2 bedroom apartment and for my daughter to have her own room. People on this site have complained about various things associated with section 8, and they all have very valid points. One of the biggest problems that I see for myself is that there are no enforcement of the rules. There are participants taking advantage of the system, but in my opinion more so the owners. Since a certain stigma has been attached to section 8, very few people are willing to even rent to someone who has it. While I was apartment hunting the mere mention of section 8 would end the entire conversation. If it wasn't already printed in the ad or hanging from the side of the building "NO SECTION 8". It became quite the task just to locate someone even willing to talk to me, and here I was a gainfully employed, intelligent person just in need of some help (like many other people on the program). But because of all the things previously mentioned by other posters (i.e. loud music or noise at all hours of the night. constant traffic by tenants as well as guest, the poor parking conditions...etc.) No one wanted to take a chance on me in the neighborhoods I would have preferred to live in. Which is the main reason the voucher program was implemented in the first place. I finally was able to find an apartment in a part of town I would have never thought to live in, but the program only allows you 6 months to find somewhere to live or you lose your voucher. I found my apartment when I had a week left. I don't know if any of you are familiar withe the Denzel Washington film "TRAINING DAY" But it was filmed in an urban area of Los Angeles reffered to as the "Jungles" due to it's propensity for crimes and violence. That was where someone was willinging to accept my voucher.(So you can already see how it has improved my standard of living ) Now don't get me wrong because I don't wish to appear ungrateful. The voucher has freed up some my income so that I able to buy clothes for my daughter, take her to fun places, (because she can't play outside in this neighborhood) buy furniture for our home, (we didn't have any before) and also this computer (where I am now telling my story and my daughter can get help with her homework, because she goes to a good public school. Bused to a neighborhood that wouldn't take our voucher). Now just because a persons income is low doesn't mean that they are working towards a better goal. The cost of living in California is so high that even 2 income families can't afford to buy a home without a huge downpayment (and help from dear old mom and dad). A great precentage of America today now rents. What does that say to you? And a lot of people section 8 or not are forced to live in horrible neighborhoods with substandard conditions. Since I have lived here I've had a gunshot through my front window. Been awaken in the midddle of the night by various fights and arguements from the neighbors, and had to deal with poor parking, loud music and greedy negligent owners who are very slow to make even the minimum repairs. Because they to buy into the section 8 stereotype. That all people on assistance don't know and deserve any better. I had to fight tooth and nail to have a decent unit. Because the section 8 program only requires the owner make the unit liveable. So things like carpert are overlooked, as long as there are no holes for you to trip. Who cares if it's 8 years old and thread bare? And it was already the cheapest carpet they could find in the first place . Owners who totally overlook the fact that whether the money comes from the tenant or the government it is indeed still full payment (and many times an overpriced one) that is deserving of good service. A lot of what I see are landlords being able to rake in huge rental payments from the government for properties they otherwise would not be able to rent. A lot of you have already stated you would'nt want to live there. Landlords who look the other way when crimes (like drugs being sold and used. Gangbangers loitering, intimidation, and whatever else goes on) Just to keep collecting the housing payments. Those are the real abusers in my eyes. The ones who most assuredly make a profit. If the people on this site who go to work everyday and have their own lives to lead can notice the crime and fraud going on in their own neighborhood you can't expect me to belive, that someone whose job it is to notice (i.e. the owner / manager) doesn't have any idea whats going on .
Because of my own experience with section 8 if I am ever in a position to own rental housing I would most definitly rent to a section 8 tenant. I met a great many of them who are deepy troubled by just a few that have given us all a bad name. There are plenty of hardworking familes on the housing voucher program (and by hardworking I don't necccessarily mean employed. I myself had a stay at home mom and that Is and will always be the toughest job. But I also had a dad who worked hard to support his family and afforded my mom the oppurtunity to stay home. I had no public assistance growing, so I am not generational welfare. This is just the turn my life has taken.) who take pride in their home and their neighborhood. People who would make execellent neighbors. Peolpe like me. People like YOU . It could happen to any one of us .

Old 08-01-2007, 10:57 AM

414 posts, read 1,469,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00kies View Post
HUD, welfare, food stamps, and all sort of gov. help should be for a limited period of time. I know a lady with 2 kids (17 and 9) who has been living under welfare for more than 7 years. She can afford to buy her sons $2k laptops, $5k camera's lens, PSP, PS3, and a lot of other gadgets. WTH????? Sorry, this has nothing to do with the topic, I'm just venting because I can't stand people who take advantage of the system...not wanting to work...while others are busting their @ss off working and paying taxes to feed this people. Oh! and her sons attend to San Marino schools (I don't know how she did it), though her oldest son couldn't get into college.
I agree with you but this situation is mitigated by the fact that the government just makes it too easy for people to 'opt' not to work. In college I knew someone whose mother collected Welfare for many, many years. She was kind of sad about it because her mother said 'if I work, I'll only make as much as they pay me for Welfare anyway. It's better for me to stay home.'

So she did.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM

I am not sure if I posted this before, but my mom said to me "The people on Section 8 that deserve it, well you wont even know they are Section 8"

True

And as far as my area,,, my street is nice,,, the riff raff seems to come intot he Section 8 homes, then it seems that they meet others on blocks surrounding the area, then they are all drawn to the street and driveway of this particular house.

Each time it clears out the landlord goes and cleans it up, mows the lawn, works for several days and gives me the look of "Oh geesh its bad" They get a carpet cleaning company in, all of that.

So I will vouch and say the Section 8 homes in my neighborhood are not cruddy homes, they are nice and wedged in between homeowners who take care of their homes..

Im all for those in need of the program having it, but as I posted above, if a person can be a law abiding citizen, care for the property, and not drag down the neighborhood, then one probably wont even notice, they will just think they are your average renter...

I only became aware of Section 8 due to the tenants this guy has been renting to next to me.. I just thought it was a "Rental" prior to that,,, then I discovered why his choices got worse with each renter.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,718,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyVicky View Post
I am not sure if I posted this before, but my mom said to me "The people on Section 8 that deserve it, well you wont even know they are Section 8"
That is so true, VickyVicky. If the system worked, the people who truly needed it would get it, the down-on-their-luck would get it and get off it and the abusers would get shown the door.

In that totally unrealistic, utopian scenario, few people would have a problem with Section 8 and neighbors wouldn't be so miserable. But the abusers ruin it for everyone, and the ones who need it either can't get it or are too proud or ashamed to take it.

It's like a big red rotten apple--it looks so good and shiny, then you take a bite and say, "Never again..."

Old 08-07-2007, 08:09 PM

12 posts, read 63,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictastic403 View Post
I stumbled across this blog as I was searching the net about landlord / tenant issuse for a close friend. I myself am a section 8 participant. I work and have done so the entire time I've been involved with the program. (incidentally it was how I got my voucher. A new program was started for working but lower income people to see if help with housing would improve their lives.) Prior to receiving my voucher I lived in a studio apartment with my daughter and spent 85% of my income on rent. Albeit I will admit that I lived in a much nicer neighborhood prior to receiving setion 8 assistance, I will also say that I have been provided with more space. It enabled me to rent a 2 bedroom apartment and for my daughter to have her own room. People on this site have complained about various things associated with section 8, and they all have very valid points. One of the biggest problems that I see for myself is that there are no enforcement of the rules. There are participants taking advantage of the system, but in my opinion more so the owners. Since a certain stigma has been attached to section 8, very few people are willing to even rent to someone who has it. While I was apartment hunting the mere mention of section 8 would end the entire conversation. If it wasn't already printed in the ad or hanging from the side of the building "NO SECTION 8". It became quite the task just to locate someone even willing to talk to me, and here I was a gainfully employed, intelligent person just in need of some help (like many other people on the program). But because of all the things previously mentioned by other posters (i.e. loud music or noise at all hours of the night. constant traffic by tenants as well as guest, the poor parking conditions...etc.) No one wanted to take a chance on me in the neighborhoods I would have preferred to live in. Which is the main reason the voucher program was implemented in the first place. I finally was able to find an apartment in a part of town I would have never thought to live in, but the program only allows you 6 months to find somewhere to live or you lose your voucher. I found my apartment when I had a week left. I don't know if any of you are familiar withe the Denzel Washington film "TRAINING DAY" But it was filmed in an urban area of Los Angeles reffered to as the "Jungles" due to it's propensity for crimes and violence. That was where someone was willinging to accept my voucher.(So you can already see how it has improved my standard of living ) Now don't get me wrong because I don't wish to appear ungrateful. The voucher has freed up some my income so that I able to buy clothes for my daughter, take her to fun places, (because she can't play outside in this neighborhood) buy furniture for our home, (we didn't have any before) and also this computer (where I am now telling my story and my daughter can get help with her homework, because she goes to a good public school. Bused to a neighborhood that wouldn't take our voucher). Now just because a persons income is low doesn't mean that they are working towards a better goal. The cost of living in California is so high that even 2 income families can't afford to buy a home without a huge downpayment (and help from dear old mom and dad). A great precentage of America today now rents. What does that say to you? And a lot of people section 8 or not are forced to live in horrible neighborhoods with substandard conditions. Since I have lived here I've had a gunshot through my front window. Been awaken in the midddle of the night by various fights and arguements from the neighbors, and had to deal with poor parking, loud music and greedy negligent owners who are very slow to make even the minimum repairs. Because they to buy into the section 8 stereotype. That all people on assistance don't know and deserve any better. I had to fight tooth and nail to have a decent unit. Because the section 8 program only requires the owner make the unit liveable. So things like carpert are overlooked, as long as there are no holes for you to trip. Who cares if it's 8 years old and thread bare? And it was already the cheapest carpet they could find in the first place . Owners who totally overlook the fact that whether the money comes from the tenant or the government it is indeed still full payment (and many times an overpriced one) that is deserving of good service. A lot of what I see are landlords being able to rake in huge rental payments from the government for properties they otherwise would not be able to rent. A lot of you have already stated you would'nt want to live there. Landlords who look the other way when crimes (like drugs being sold and used. Gangbangers loitering, intimidation, and whatever else goes on) Just to keep collecting the housing payments. Those are the real abusers in my eyes. The ones who most assuredly make a profit. If the people on this site who go to work everyday and have their own lives to lead can notice the crime and fraud going on in their own neighborhood you can't expect me to belive, that someone whose job it is to notice (i.e. the owner / manager) doesn't have any idea whats going on .
Because of my own experience with section 8 if I am ever in a position to own rental housing I would most definitly rent to a section 8 tenant. I met a great many of them who are deepy troubled by just a few that have given us all a bad name. There are plenty of hardworking familes on the housing voucher program (and by hardworking I don't necccessarily mean employed. I myself had a stay at home mom and that Is and will always be the toughest job. But I also had a dad who worked hard to support his family and afforded my mom the oppurtunity to stay home. I had no public assistance growing, so I am not generational welfare. This is just the turn my life has taken.) who take pride in their home and their neighborhood. People who would make execellent neighbors. Peolpe like me. People like YOU . It could happen to any one of us .
You seem like a very intelligent woman, with that said have you ever considered leaving California and moving to an area that is more affordable based on your income? Maybe that would allow you to rid yourself of government assistance. I mean there a plenty of areas across the U.S that are affordable and also have excellent schools. From reading your post anything sounds better than where you currently reside, so is the voucher really worth it? I think you and your daughters well being is more important than an extra bedroom. I certainly can say that because I was myself raised with only my mother who worked full time went to school to better herself and our future, while we lived in a one bedroom apt. until I was thirteen. And our one bedroom apt. was in an expensive city in Orange County. She insisted I attend school in the best school district. Also, she did qualify for section 8, but DID NOT accept it! She finished college when I was 14 and is now a registered nurse making six figures a year living in one the most exclusive areas in Orange County. I guess we all have options.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 34,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleigh View Post
You seem like a very intelligent woman, with that said have you ever considered leaving California and moving to an area that is more affordable based on your income? Maybe that would allow you to rid yourself of government assistance. I mean there a plenty of areas across the U.S that are affordable and also have excellent schools. From reading your post anything sounds better than where you currently reside, so is the voucher really worth it? I think you and your daughters well being is more important than an extra bedroom. I certainly can say that because I was myself raised with only my mother who worked full time went to school to better herself and our future, while we lived in a one bedroom apt. until I was thirteen. And our one bedroom apt. was in an expensive city in Orange County. She insisted I attend school in the best school district. Also, she did qualify for section 8, but DID NOT accept it! She finished college when I was 14 and is now a registered nurse making six figures a year living in one the most exclusive areas in Orange County. I guess we all have options.
Thank you for your comments. I agree with you we all do have options. It was and still is my option to accept the offer of assistance that comes to me through use of this housing voucher. The point of my comment is that the program should be cleaned up. Not just by the user of the vouchers, but also the people who are allowed to rent the homes and apartments. The purpose of Section 8 originally was to provide quality living for lower income people. That should include nice neighborhoods and good schools. It is also my option to spend QUALITY time with my children. I work as I stated before, I just don't make a great deal of money, I do however have the time to invest in my children. I don't wish to leave them unattened or tended to by others. The rental assistance gives me that OPTION. I pay taxes just like everyone else. (maybe not as much as others, but more than some) If your mother qualified, but turned down assitance, because she would rather work fulltime and attend school (and miss out on your childhood) then that was her OPTION and I admire her for it. It takes a great deal of inner strength to put your needs first, before the children. I'm not abusing the system and I am looking for ways that I will not need it in the future, THAT IS MY OPTION. That is what works for me. I agree with you that a better neighborhood would be of great service to me, BUT how are great neighborhoods brought about by great neighbors. I choose to fight and try and change my neighborhood so that all of the people who at sometime or another that require assistance can have somewhere decent to live. If it is brought to no ones attention than no one knows. That is why I am grateful for your comment, I have reached someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California