U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 AM

104 posts, read 640,176 times

Advertisements

Tell me Californians...are you sick and tired of the rest of the U.S. blaming you for all of the crime, road rage, high cost of housing, immigration problems, etc?

Seems like too many posters point the finger at Cali as the cause of their state's problems - - especially for the rise of housing; they claim that "those snooty rich people from California caused housing prices to escalate".

Maybe they are just jealous cuz they don't live in CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,674,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
Tell me Californians...are you sick and tired of the rest of the U.S. blaming you for all of the crime, road rage, high cost of housing, immigration problems, etc?
Invalid question.

Quote:
Seems like too many posters point the finger at Cali as the cause of their state's problems - - especially for the rise of housing; they claim that "those snooty rich people from California caused housing prices to escalate".
Some of them do, but it is in the noise. However they don't complain when ex-Californians raise the comps on their homes. They don't complain when ex-Californians pay property taxes and sales taxes. No one bugs me. (For what it's worth, I don't see a lot of LA Dodgers, Lakers, etc. stickers and license plate frames here as opposed to the NY & BOS stickers and frames I saw in LA.)

Quote:
No; more like the opposite. They feel fortunate that they don't have to live in California.

Check the topics on the Los Angeles and California City-Data Forums: Gangs, Traffic, High Housing, Crummy Schools, Dangerous parts of LA County, Illegal Aliens, Snobs, Leaving Los Angeles, one fear after another, etc. The tone is 50% negative. Then check the Colorado, North Carolina, Idaho, and Utah City-Data Forums: Stay at home moms, Snowboarding, Moving to Colorado questions, ATV trails, Best mountain views, Teachers moving to Raleigh, California Transplant has questions, From NY to CO, etc. Completely the opposite: 80% positive.

Why would they be jealous?

The Seattle Times: Nation & World: Many Californians flee high costs, heavy traffic

Issues and Advocacy | Working Californians

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > State/The West -- Census: More people leaving California than moving in

Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,414,875 times
It goes in one ear and out the other for me personally. Every place has people who don't like it...CA is just one of those larger places with a larger population. But there are also many who love it. Many who don't live in CA and would love to be in CA. Why would anyone take it personallY??? It can only bother you if you let it!!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,861,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
It goes in one ear and out the other for me personally. Every place has people who don't like it...CA is just one of those larger places with a larger population. But there are also many who love it. Many who don't live in CA and would love to be in CA. Why would anyone take it personallY??? It can only bother you if you let it!!
They definately take it VERY personally, esp. in San Diego!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:26 PM

840 posts, read 6,037,494 times
It gets old.

You can't blame California(ns) for illegal immigration. Texas and Arizona have this problem also. Crime, road rage, high real estate, it's everywhere.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 PM

375 posts, read 1,556,577 times
Quote:

OMG, I just got back from a 3.5 week (6000 mile) road trip checking out areas in Oregon, WA and Wisc.

Let me tell you, some of the mid west people are way worse then CA people!! They are very rude and have major road rage.

There is crime in every big city, you can't run from it. The worse seemed around Portland and Seattle.

We stayed our first night at Trinity lake outside of Redding. The people were very friendly. We would pull our RV over so when someone came up behind us could pass on the very curvy 2 lane road. They all waved, honked and said thank you when passing us. No one was ever rude. We had one chick in Wyoming flip us off on a mountain road??? People in Oregon were very nice also.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:13 PM

104 posts, read 640,176 times
Default Rude to Cali Folks

When we moved out of CA, it was not rare to hear comments about the "fruits and nuts" in CA; how people in CA are crazy and mostly "dumb blondes". Or, if they heard of a really weird incident they would comment, "Obviously it happened in CA!" If they have excessive crime it's because the criminal must be from CA...etc., etc.

One guy who loved to bash CA started in again, and I asked him where in CA he had lived. And of course he had never even been to CA. So I asked him how he believed he could be a critic of CA if he's never stepped on it's soil. That pretty much shut him up.

I know I still get tired of hearing it, and we moved away in the mid-90's. Some people are just rude and need an outlet I guess.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,660,472 times
I've traveled extensively and have found there's quite a mixture of preconcieved notions about Californians. Most of the reaction I got was positive. The most positive (regarding being from CA) are Texans. Least receptive to us are Washington and Colorado residents. This is interesting since so many of them are transplants. I see one area that's quite valid in criticism of Californians. Working in real estate, I've dealt with many Californians in other areas of the country who want to move in and completely change the neighborhood to be like what they left. That would **** me off too. This works the least in Hawaii where they usually give up and come back to California after a flurry of effort produces nothing. Other than that, I've found that the bashers are unhappy people who need to give someone a kick. The psychology of trolling is fairly transparent.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM

840 posts, read 6,037,494 times
Actually, I've gotten a good welcome in Colorado than I ever got in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 PM

652 posts, read 2,053,591 times
I dunno anything bout' that but what I do know is that I've lived in NY my whole life..all 56 years of it and I'm considering moving to Carmel Valley/Monterey and doing my work there (renovations) but when I keep seeing posts about gangs and rude this and overly expensive that etc etc neg neg neg..it gets me to wondering if it is in fact more so over there on the left coast...I'm kinda doubting it but posts like that only make it so one starts sctratching their heads and starts wondering.
Namaste
andy on L.I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or