Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Then again, snowy Mt. Ashland and Siskiyou Summit a
Yep, living just below the snowline makes a certain sense, now I have been to Ashland a number of times, and never had high temps.

It really is a great little town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Talent Oregon area is less expensive.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
I agree with the others that Ashland, OR would be a good bet. I have been there in the summer and its WARM. Farther north there are great colleges in Monmouth, OR, Corvallis, OR, and McMinnville, OR. I also love Moscow, ID. Great summers and cold winters.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 PM

I always like the idea of a University of Lake Tahoe, alas.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM

12 posts, read 52,345 times
Chico is hot as Hades in the summer. If a person is looking for temperate summers, I'm not sure Chico would qualify.

[quote=gizmo980;16998138]I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Chico... I'm not that familiar with it myself, but it does get some snow and has a 4-year university (Chico State). Also supposed to be a fun town, with plenty of stuff to do for younger adults like yourselves.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 52,345 times
Default Live in NV and keep couple hundred extra per month

Karikelso --

If you're looking in the Truckee/Quincy areas, I'd urge you to consider crossing the line into Nevada, due to no state income taxes.

Rough math -- CA has almost 11 percent income tax. On a hypothetical govt pension of 48k per year, that's about 400/month. Move across the NV line and add at least 400 dollars to your monthly income. That's approaching half a mortgage or rent payment. Or the monthly grocery bill for free, just by moving 90 minutes east.

Personally I think Quincy is prettier but lacking services. If you want to fly fish or hunt and be back home for lunch, Quincy is a little easier. If you want good shopping and health care, live closer to Reno. But Reno is uglier by far, in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Kind of funny that there would not be a four year college in California in the mountains. Humboldt on the North Coast is just gorgeous and a darn good school. No heat there, but not any snow either. I would put a plug in for UN Reno. Sure the summers can be hot, but nothing like the San Joaquin Valley. And there is Tahoe up the road. Also, as a resident and adjunct faculty, I would vote for Southern Oregon University in Ashland, Oregon. It is just about a perfect little town to live in, and if you like the area, you can try to find a job in Medford or Ashland. A great place to call home. Two other idyllic places to study in the mountains is Fort Lewis College in Durango, CO., and Montana State in Bozeman, MT.

I have also lived it Chico and Paradise, which I loved, but I will say, Ashland is even better. More importantly, however, what will your husband be studying? I think that would be a very important consideration, as getting the right training and degree will open doors over the long-term. Location and snow are great, but not nearly so important at your age as finding the right program and university to prepare you both for your futures.

I am an academic, and I am glad to help. PM me if you like.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:34 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retirekool View Post
Rough math -- CA has almost 11 percent income tax. On a hypothetical govt pension of 48k per year, that's about 400/month. Move across the NV line and add at least 400 dollars to your monthly income. That's approaching half a mortgage or rent payment. Or the monthly grocery bill for free, just by moving 90 minutes east.
That is pretty rough. However, it isn't close to correct. The tax rate is not 11% on all income. It is a progressive tax.

The taxable income on $48,000 using standard deduction married filing jointly is $40,660 ($48,000 - $7,340) from http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2010/10_540a_540ins.pdf. Plug $40,660 into https://webapp.ftb.ca.gov/taxcalc/calculator.aspx and the tax is $912 or $76/month

Old 08-28-2011, 03:55 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
I know this is an old thread, but since others have found it today, why not respond? Might help someone in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Humboldt on the North Coast is just gorgeous and a darn good school. No heat there, but not any snow either.
If you have to have snow, then Humboldt wouldn't work - but if the main objective is to avoid heat, then it's a great choice! The weather there is extremely mild - and summers are very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
What you are looking for just doesn't exist.
It exists in Southern California! Idyllwild gets snow, and it's a little over an hour away from UCR (University of California at Riverside). It's about seven hours away from her family in Stockton, so a little further than she was hoping, but it might work.

Southern California may not be her first choice - but Idyllwild is definitely an option if you want to stay in California, get real snow, live in tiny mountain town with pine trees, rock climbing, and lots of art, and live near enough to a university to complete a degree.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Live in Tahoe or Truckee, go to school at Sierra Nevada College, a 4 year school in Incline Village, or University of Nevada in Reno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California