Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times

Advertisements

If you missed 60 minutes tonight then you missed a good report on the next phase of the economic crisis. They interview Meredith Whitney who I feel is one of the best banking analyst and tells it like it is without spin.

Below is a link to the episode.

State Budgets: Day of Reckoning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
If you missed 60 minutes tonight then you missed a good report on the next phase of the economic crisis. They interview Meredith Whitney who I feel is one of the best banking analyst and tells it like it is without spin.

Below is a link to the episode.

State Budgets: Day of Reckoning
I read the article. The sad reality is that we will have a California governor who is already beholden to the union. We don't have an income problem, since the state of California is a net federal taxpayer. It is the cost of pension that is simply unsustainable.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I read the article. The sad reality is that we will have a California governor who is already beholden to the union. We don't have an income problem, since the state of California is a net federal taxpayer. It is the cost of pension that is simply unsustainable.
But it's not just that. It's also the twin issues of mandates resulting from propositions and legislation that have severely limited the state's budgetary flexibility and responses as well as unfunded mandates stemming from the same two sources that bleed the treasury dry.

Yes, pension reform, including rollbacks, is desperately needed but that's simply a handy flash-point at which the politicians and the people can point the bony finger of blame. The problems go much deeper than that and have been factors since the passage of Proposition 13 in the 70s, exacerbated by Proposition 98 in the 80s.

Add the power of the unions (thank you Jerry Brown) and their stranglehold on the various governoirs and the Legislature and you have a recipe fopr disaster with obvious results.

If Brown ignores the infrastructure during his new term as badly as he did in the past, things will only get worse and unemployment will continue to be high. CA needs top-down, massive change but I've yet to see signs of the political will and momentum necessary to effect it. It's painful to watch.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:19 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
During the 60 Minutes interview it was acknowledged that NJ substantially ignored their requirement to make the matching pension fund contributions. I suspect that problem may exist in other states too (perhaps CA???).

If you want to complain about pension shortfalls needing to be funded, you have to look at how much of the issue exist simply from states refusing to meet their basic original funding obligations.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
During the 60 Minutes interview it was acknowledged that NJ substantially ignored their requirement to make the matching pension fund contributions. I suspect that problem may exist in other states too (perhaps CA???).

If you want to complain about pension shortfalls needing to be funded, you have to look at how much of the issue exist simply from states refusing to meet their basic original funding obligations.
One can also look at states that were wise enough to never let public employees unionize or have since rescinded that authorization. California should follow their example. Actually, pay and benefits were better for state employees under DPA with raises being regular than they have been since the unions started scooping up all those dues and taking control of administrations and the Legislature.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But it's not just that. It's also the twin issues of mandates resulting from propositions and legislation . . .
The voters have passed propositions that are pushing the state deeper in debt. Examples: the $9 billion bond for a high speed train that will end up costing over $100 billion and won't be finished in our life time or Prop 71 (2004) to spend $3 billion on stem cell research which will come to nothing. And there's a lot more such as endless school bond proposals that get passed. This money will have to be paid back someday .

Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
The voters have passed propositions that are pushing the state deeper in debt. Examples: the $9 billion bond for a high speed train that will end up costing over $100 billion and won't be finished in our life time or Prop 71 (2004) to spend $3 billion on stem cell research which will come to nothing. And there's a lot more such as endless school bond proposals that get passed. This money will have to be paid back someday .
Quite right and unless my grandchildren, great-grandchildren and perhaps beyond follow our example, they will be the ones on whom the burden will fall the hardest.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
A person with the misery-loves-company mindset would have enjoyed the 60 minutes segment, since states other than California are in a mess. With todays entitlement thinking, the warnings will be ignored until it hits them personally. Whitney and Christie will be ignored, and the attitude will continue to be "I dont care, I want mine, and I dont care about anyone else". If and when the spigots are tightened or turned off we will see protests on the order of Greece and France, or worse. Imagine the reaction when the gravy train is eliminated for the illegals, benefits stopped for the long time unemployment leeches, and major pay and pension reform enacted for government workers at all levels.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,891 times
I get a kick out of all the union bashing on this site. You people should realize that unions only make up about 12% of the workforce in our country. Seems like most of you have been brainwashed by right wing radio to suggest that unions are the primary reason for our problems.

Note: I'm a former construction union member who knows that they have flaws, but they are far from the source of all of our major problems. Most of our trade deals are the bigger problem.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I disagree on the part I bolded. That was money well-spent since it helps to insure California's hold on biotech into the future, and biotech produces good jobs in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: