Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:23 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Hmm because it's on the busy hours I think sometimes it could be a three way. I find it bad on the 101 during rush hour and when people get off work and go to work it's the worse.
So you want malls.big box stores and 6 lanes of cement? Kid! Move to LA and let SLO retain its small town feel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Hmm because it's on the busy hours I think sometimes it could be a three way. I find it bad on the 101 during rush hour and when people get off work and go to work it's the worse.
I work 8-5, so I drive both ways during 'rush hour'... the only time I've ever found it 'bad' is if there's an accident or if there's an a-hole driver switching lanes every 5 seconds trying in vain to get around everyone.

Ever been in rush hour in LA or the bay area? SLO 'rush hour' is not traffic, it's really mellow and there's no need to dig up more of the land and add asphalt.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
So you want malls.big box stores and 6 lanes of cement? Kid! Move to LA and let SLO retain its small town feel!
I just to live and desire to live where I want to live. Which is where I grew up. Thank you!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
I just to live and desire to live where I want to live. Which is where I grew up. Thank you!
But you dont seem to like it much THE WAY IT IS. Southern California has everything you seem to desire. Go there and let the people who enjoy living in SLO THE WAY IT IS do so. Happy New Year kid!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
But you dont seem to like it much THE WAY IT IS. Southern California has everything you seem to desire. Go there and let the people who enjoy living in SLO THE WAY IT IS do so. Happy New Year kid!
When I have recently complained on how things are down here? And I lived in LA for a while which is why I prefer here. Besides my type of people already got out way because Costco is here and Whole Foods is on it's way.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:23 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Cool vid. No expansion needed, Ive never seen a serious slowdown on the 101.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 PM

Well I heard there were plans to expand the 1 from Santa Rosa to Cuesta because of congestion from Cuesta, Morro Bay, and Cal Poly traffic. The city tried adding bike lanes to decongest, but nobody is using it. It's one of the things Mayor Dave pushed for, but the other members of the council wouldnt allow it.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
it is expanded, it is four lanes, What more could you ask for? For years it was a three lane highway. That had a certain pucker factor, 3 lane highways did not last very long.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
it is expanded, it is four lanes, What more could you ask for? For years it was a three lane highway. That had a certain pucker factor, 3 lane highways did not last very long.
two lanes each way. It should be 3 ways each way. There are too many accidents that occur. You have the stupid kids who don't know how to drive moving to SLO.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
I find it somewhat incredible. You really really like concrete. Look, Los Angeles exists, it exists 200 miles south of San Luis, leave it there. There is a term used throughout the west for the kind of growth you like, it is called Californication. That has to do with the proliferation of freeways, big box malls, cookiecutter subdivisions, tearing the heart and soul out of communities so that developers can bring in more people and make more money.

There is an old guy from Montana that summed up Californication quite well. I am going to quote his poem to you, it applies to San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Atascadero, Templeton, Paso Robles.
All city/county/regional planning should have one goal, to preserve the culture of a town.

My first quote is from Ed Abbey, if you have not yet read his books, you should:
"Growth, for the sake of growth is the ideology of the Cancer cell."

Poem
Quote:
Things of Intrinsic Worth
written by Wallace McRae
Remember that sandrock on Emmells Crick
Where Dad carved his name in 'thirteen?
It's been blasted down into rubble
And interred by their dragline machine.
Where Fadhls lived, at the old Milar Place,
Where us kids stole melons at night?
They 'dozed it up in a funeral pyre
Then torched it. It's gone alright.
The "C" on the hill, and the water tanks
Are now classified, "reclaimed land."
They're thinking of building a golf course
Out there, so I understand.
The old Egan Homestead's an ash pond
That they say is eighty feet deep.
The branding corral at the Douglas Camp
Is underneath a spoil heap.
And across the crick is a tipple, now,
Where they load coal onto a train,
The Mae West Rock on Hay Coulee?
Just black and white snapshots remain.
There's a railroad loop and a coal storage shed
Where the bison kill site used to be.
The Guy Place is gone; Ambrose's too.
Beulah Farley's a ranch refugee.

But things are booming. We've got this new school
That's envied across the whole state.
When folks up and ask, "How's things goin' down there?"
I grin like a fool and say, "Great!"
Great God, how we're doin'! We're rollin' in dough,
As they tear and they ravage The Earth.
And nobody knows…or nobody cares…
About things of intrinsic worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California