Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I live in one of the pink areas on that map due to my proximity to the San Andreas and other faults. I just live my life with little acknowledgment of tectonic danger. I'm more aware of the hazards of driving in traffic than of "the big one".

If you do move here, just remember to live in a stick-built home and don't live above a "soft first story". Also, try to avoid the areas that are prone to soil liquefaction. (most basins and valleys)
The most indestructible thing in the world (besides a drunk in seat belts) is a single story wood frame house. Only a fire brings them down. Low center of gravity, lots of flexible timber, lots of load bearing walls. Get an earthquake gas shut off valve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 05:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The most indestructible thing in the world... is a single story wood frame house.
Guilty!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
I moved to California ten years ago...felt many earthquakes but it didn't make me leave the area. I figure no matter where you go, you will either have earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or extreme temperatures....pick your poison!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The most indestructible thing in the world (besides a drunk in seat belts) is a single story wood frame house. Only a fire brings them down. Low center of gravity, lots of flexible timber, lots of load bearing walls. Get an earthquake gas shut off valve.
100% accurate ... and don't forget to retrofit your foundation and appliance with straps available for the purpose ... not expensive ... not hard ... will keep you from wearing your television like a collar ... other than that, you're good to rack'n'roll.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
We had a 3.8 today in Indiana. It can happen anywhere anytime. I'd never let that stop you from moving.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I'm one of those weird people who actually does experience anxiety about earthquakes. It's strange, because I'm a native Californian who has never lived outside of L.A. County! I know all about structures that are prone to collapse (I had a temp job typing up earthquake inspection reports for a few weeks). Strangely enough, I still decided to move to my current apartment, which is on the first floor of a complex with underground parking (soft first story). If it weren't for the earthquake risk, I'd be very happy here. All the same, everything else about this apartment is so nice that I couldn't turn it down.

I don't like earthquakes because they occur without warning. With almost every other natural disaster, you at least have time to try to get out of the way.

Out of all the fatalities in the Northridge earthquake (about 60 people), several of those deaths were caused by heart attacks in elderly people. Considering my fear, that'll probably be me.

To the OP, if I can take the risk and deal with the anxiety, you can too.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Out of all the fatalities in the Northridge earthquake (about 60 people), several of those deaths were caused by heart attacks in elderly people.
And the rest were caused by people living on the first floor of a multi-story apartment with a soft first story. I'd be uneasy as well if I were living in that situation.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:36 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
And the rest were caused by people living on the first floor of a multi-story apartment with a soft first story. I'd be uneasy as well if I were living in that situation.
Is that sort of like go golfing during a lightning storm and then being a little nervous?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
What do they say about townhouse style apartments/condos that are above ground garage and two stories on top all the same unit? Still a "soft" first story?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 PM

As long as the first story consists of mostly air space supported by relatively spindly posts with at least two residential floors above. However, I'm no construction guy. The Northridge Meadows complex was a perfect example of that style of building, a style that was very popular back in the day, but is no longer allowed since the tragedy of January, 1994.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California