Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,012,926 times

Advertisements

It is a CA rehab ward like. You can enter, but never leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,129,160 times
I had to do some research on this and this is my conclusion based off that.....

The "Hotel California" is actually, L.A. itself. The song and album take you on a trip though the music industry. In L.A. in the late sixties early seventies, when agents and studios controlled artists like puppets. Back in the late sixties, 1969 to be exact, there was a major onslaught of artists being signed left, right and center, and artisit at the time were often known to basically "sell their soul" to a record company executive in order to get a recording contract. Many times these artists were given little if anything for their music, and thus ended up basically a victom to their love of music. Just imagine the scene at the time, it's late 60's, you are on your way to L.A. to strike it big with dreams of glamour and fame...and you basically are prepared to sell your soul of you have to to attain it. I must admit, when I first heard this explaination, I was a little skeptical...but trust me....listen to the WHOLE album again, start to finish and keep this definition in mind when you do it. Every song ties together in one big story, finishing off with the Last Resort which gives you a clear summery of the whole album and idea. I don't deny that drugs and addiction have a lot to do with the lifestyle and results of the quest for fame. All I ask is to keep an open mind and think of "The Hotel California" as L.A., and you may be surprised.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Sounds convincing but when producers "control" the artist...well even those who aren't tyrants often make the decision on the tracklist and arrangement. So essentially, the producers are talking about themselves?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,218,225 times
Songs, books, poems, all mean something to the person to whom they have meaning.

I still hate almost every English instructor I ever had for telling me what things meant.

My favorite: "What does Hemmingway mean when he writes, "It began to rain outside the taverna"?

My answer: "The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain". I seem to remember getting detention for that remark.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 PM

41 posts, read 246,409 times
Coincidentally, there was a Hotel California in Laguna Beach for years which I now believe is a rehab house for drug addiction...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,502,217 times
It's just that "gifted musical art" very little out there now days. The wonderful thing about this song and many others of it's time is that you can perceive it however you like. It's a great song-

Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Don't even want to know the "true meaning"...it's like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"...the "deep meaning" lies probably more in the brains of potheads than in the songwiter's...
But but but....... aren't the songwriters & musicians ALSO potheads? So they're really one and the same, LOL.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Songs, books, poems, all mean something to the person to whom they have meaning.

I still hate almost every English instructor I ever had for telling me what things meant.
I was an English major in college, and my professors always said there is no right or wrong answer... you just have to present YOUR interpretations well.

Didn't somebody write a whole Master's thesis on the meaning of "American Pie?" I remember hearing about that once!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,820,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
It's just that "gifted musical art" very little out there now days. The wonderful thing about this song and many others of it's time is that you can perceive it however you like. It's a great song-
It's the White Bird song of the then-group A Beautiful Day (Linda LaFlamme being lead singer if I remember well) which should have deserved that worldwide fame, not the pretentious, heavy duty and commercial Eagle schlagers (music for acneic kids)

Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
Interested in a very detailed explanation of the song HotelCalifornia? No, I don’t think it about Satanism, but would you be surprised to find out that that its storyline is very similar to Bible passages about the “Woman of Folly” scattered in the first 9 chapters of Proverbs in the Bible? If interested, follow this link.

[URL]http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=57033[/URL]

You may not agree with what I say, but you won’t bedisappointed if you read all the way through!

The Unveiler
PS: Comments welcome at [email]hc_unveiled96@hotmail.com[/email]

Last edited by The Unveiler; 11-01-2014 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: wasnt straight text looked like HTML code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California