Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,287,843 times

Advertisements

I have lived for years in a generally quiet suburban area outside Fresno. Within the last year or so, there has been a growing problem with neighbors nearby having very loud special occasion parties. Sometimes they have a live band and sometimes just amplified music. Almost always there is a loud thumping bass that I think would drive the average person to distraction. The parties can run from 4p.m. past midnight. With most neighbors, this is a one time or once every great while occurrence. It happened almost every weekend during the summer and fall and sometimes during the week. Again this week has been a problem. There is also the occasional neighbor who just likes to play their music loud and does so when they feel like it. I have one near me now who does this.

Our county noise ordinance is pretty standard. My issue is how it is applied.
If you have a neighbor playing loud music, you call the sheriff's dispatch.
They will send a deputy to ask the noisy party to turn the music down. Since it's a low priority call, it may take the deputy awhile to respond. If the partiers don't turn the music down much or wait till the deputy leaves and then turn the music back up, the dispatcher will only send a deputy back out if the complainant agrees to sign a formal complaint and go to court to testify against the offending neighbor.

The stated rationale is that the revelers aren't disturbing the deputy's peace but the complainant's. On one level I understand this. However, if you're the one whose peace is disturbed, it takes some courage to agree to sign a complaint against people I generally don't know at all. It's taking a chance to incite the ire of people who already have shown minimal regard for their neighbors by playing the loud music for hours on end in the first place and whose character I don't know.

The alternative is to leave home until the party ends or to wait it out which is very difficult if you can't concentrate to read, watch TV, be on the computer, etc. Neither a very good option in my estimation. It's certainly understandable why most people probably do this because of the fear or the hassle of following through with a complaint.

My questions are: Have any of you had this problem and does your area have a more effective way of dealing with it that doesn't so openly expose and put on the spot the person whose peace is disturbed?

I'm seriously interested in researching this with the thought of changing the procedure here. [I have on occasion tried the direct approach of talking to the neighbor and they either are pleasant and then proceed to continue what they're doing or they get hostile. No surprise.] Constructive suggestions will be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 40,356 times
I feel for you 100%. We bought a home in 2008 East of Clovis and were under the impression this was a very good neighborhood. We are at our wits end with the loud music, parties into the late nite with people shouting into the PA system. Our neighbors also have no qualms about leaving their dogs to bark for hours at a time. I have confronted these neighbors with the nusance and they say--hey-- we are in the country, get used to it. When I have called the Sheriff, I have gotten the exact response you got. This problem has really effected our ability to enjoy our home and has caused a great deal of stress and higher blood pressure.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
If the police are less than helpful contact a city councilman, write a polite letter and snail mail it. A councilman can get the police to respond quickly.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Welcome to the big city. I used to have that problem in West San Fernando Valley for years, off and on, usually renters. I sometimes called the police (311 not 911) and sometimes they'd come out 2-3 times a night and tell the neighbor to turn it down. (This was always past 10 p.m.)

Didn't do any good. They don't enforce the noise ordinances, although it's a good occasion for officers to notice other illegal behavior, if applicable.

This is a good indication that you need to move. You need a neighborhood with quieter neighbors.

I agree with the ferret there, you should contact your city councilperson (or councilcritter). I contacted mine about the damned advertising trailers and it didn't do any good. Don't get me started on that. (I'll have to go see if they removed them now. I been outta town for some months.)

Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
At the risk of causing trouble, and getting you into a bad situation,and I don't mean to make light of your trouble, but why not play music they would hate, real loud. It is my guess they would really hate elevator music type of music. Or maybe something like Jim Nabors, or maybe classical, or ethnic music. Polka!! You get the picture. Maybe hold a Polka-bration on your block until 4 am....heh heh.....or a classical music street fest. Not that the music I recommend is bad, just that it is something they would probably not like. Maybe Gregorian Chants?

Of course, doing that might also make the situation worse. But just the thought of a Bach and Beethoven and Brahms Street Fest.......oh yeah....

Old 10-07-2011, 11:31 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Are you in the City of Clovis, City of Fresno, or Fresno County? All three handle noise differently.

Most jurisdictions require written complaints by at least several people in the neighbourhood before a citation is issued. In most cases it takes something very exceptional before local government gets involved. Something exceptional like the people making the noise making a police officer mad. Everything else is looked upon as a civil issue.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 40,356 times
I'm in Fresno county, Clovis address east of Clovis. Dog barked all weekend while our neighbors were gone. Ruined our outside time AGAIN. I'm just amazed at the inconsiderate attitude of our neighbors.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:02 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
More often than not the barking dog problem is due to people who just throw their dogs outside without understanding how socially dependent dogs are. They bark for attention. They just aren't wired to be solitary animals. Unfortunately, many people who decide they want an animal don't have the cognitive capacity to understand the needs of the animal.

But for the noise, it again is a civil issue. There is plenty on the internet about barking dogs. Maybe you can come across something that is triggering the dog to bark such as no food in the middle of the day or no companionship while everyone is at work and discuss this with the neighbours.

why dogs bark*— Yandex has*found 10*million*answers

Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
You might consider filing a complaint for private nuisance in the superior court in your area. Even better if you can get others to join as plaintiffs against the offending party/parties. When you have several plaintiffs, the likelihood of retaliation decreases as it is more time consuming/difficult to retaliate against several people. If you're in fear, give it some time. The longer the problem continues, the more fed up you will become, and the less fear you will have to step up to the plate and do something about it.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Another one who posts a problem and, 10 months later, is a 100% no-show to her own topic. Waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California