U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 PM

20 posts, read 52,446 times
Cool Morro Bay vs Los Osos moving advice?

I have heard so many good things about Morro Bay, Los Osos and SLO and I am hoping to start planning a move out there. I definitely want to live on the beach so I need help deciding between Morro Bay and Los Osos.

Me:
I am 23 years old and single, moving with my small dog. We love warm weather but it doesn't have to be sunny on the beach all the time. I am hoping that both towns are dog friendly but is one more dog friendly over the other? Are there many places to walk them on beaches, board walks, can you walk them in town (on a leash) etc. We are very social as well, love to do things with the community and I am hoping to meet people when I am there, are both towns generally friendly places?

I am hoping to pay in the $500-800 range for rent. I plan on working out of town to do (maybe in SLO) so but it would be nice to find either a studio, one bedroom apartment/small house or renting a room out of a house. Is this reasonable for either towns?

Good place for singles? I know SLO is pretty close and the best place to go if I want a good bar scene but is there a small group of people my age in the area?

Thanks for any info

Last edited by ab.painter; 01-06-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,799,904 times
Frankly I don't think either Los Osos or Morro Beach are much in the way of "beach" areas; they are more bay towns. I'd consider Avila Beach or Pismo Beach a better fit for beach communities [surfing etc].

Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM

19,134 posts, read 13,380,949 times
Good luck finding a place in your price range that will also accept dogs, especially if you have more than one or they're over 25 lbs. It can happen, but it may take a few months of searching...and you'll likely be paying more than your budget allows.

As for the singles scene, it depends on your age. If you're between the ages of 18 and 25 or so, it's great. There's a big University nearby, so there are a lot of single college students in the area. Once you're over 25 however, it dries up a bit for both sexes.

Do you already have a job lined up? Since there is an influx of college students and graduates, the wages in the SLO area are pretty low for the cost of living.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM

Well I only have one dog, and he weighs 15lbs so I dont know if I will have a really hard time find a place, just like anywhere else they usually accept dogs under 20lbs.

I am 23, so I think i fit in that age range, would Avila Beach or Pismo Beach be better for someone my age?

I moved out to Hawaii without a job and I succeeded to im not too worried. Im not trying to come and find my dream job and make tons of money, I just want a break from what I am doing to go live on the coast and meet some new people.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:54 PM

19,134 posts, read 13,380,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab.painter View Post
Well I only have one dog, and he weighs 15lbs so I dont know if I will have a really hard time find a place, just like anywhere else they usually accept dogs under 20lbs.

I am 23, so I think i fit in that age range, would Avila Beach or Pismo Beach be better for someone my age?

I moved out to Hawaii without a job and I succeeded to im not too worried. Im not trying to come and find my dream job and make tons of money, I just want a break from what I am doing to go live on the coast and meet some new people.
15 lbs isn't too bad. Have you looked at craigslist? Pismo and Avila can be really expensive, even for a small studio.

As for a 'night life', you'll probably want to travel to SLO for that. There are a couple good dives around, but nothing really substantial.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Yeah I have looked around Craigs a bit and I have found some so that is encouraging. Small is fine for us, we are not too picky!

Im not much of a bar person, I like to go occasionally with my friends but you definitely wont see me in the bars every weekend. Does Morro/Los Osos/Pismo area have other thing to do besides bars? Im outdoorsy and we love the water so are hoping to meet people the same.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM

35 posts, read 24,307 times
Morro Bay and Los Osos are two very different towns.

Contrary to what was said by a previous responder, Morro Bay has almost 3 miles of a white sandy beach that's great for walking, running, surfing, and boogie boarding. Go around the rocky point, and the beach continues as the Cayucos beach, going for another 2.5 miles to the Cayucos pier. Depending on where you live, it's either a 3 minute walk to the water's edge (like from my house, which is east of Highway One and up the hill a bit), or perhaps a five minute drive (like if you live in the Heights or the Harbor Tract).

One part of Morro Strand beach is off limits to dogs, as it is a state park and a bird sanctuary. But most of it is open to dogs, and all of Cayucos Beach is open to dogs, and people around here take full advantage of that. Plus we have several dog parks within ten minutes drive either direction.

Where Morro Bay is more of a blue-collar town, Los Osos is more of a hippie town, although there are certainly plenty of each in both towns, with a good mix of wealthier folks, as well. I also find there is a wider age range here than people told me - I came in my mid-forties and actually met and married a wonderful man my age - total shock as I wasn't looking for that!

Los Osos is undergoing lots of road construction as they are (finally!) installing the sewer system. That is a long-term project and it affects the property taxes and cost of living. That being said, the houses are generally a little less expensive there than MB, for that very reason. Also, while there is a beach in Los Osos, it's not as nice for walking as it's not flat and the sand isn't packed like it is on Morro Strand.

However, Los Osos has direct access to Montana De Oro, an amazing state park with miles and miles of incredible trails used for hiking, mountain biking, and horses. Dogs are not allowed on most trails in this county, although you can go up the road a way to Cambria's Fiscalini Ranch trails and your pooch can even walk off leash!

There isn't much nightlife here, which is part of what we love, since we are outdoor people. We love kayaking in the Bay (my husband loves ocean kayaking, too), hiking different trails, walking on the beach - and being able to do this mostly year round, except during the rainy or cold winter days. But we have plenty of mild winter days, too, so it's rarely more than 3-4 days in between times when we can be out in nature.

Good luck finding a rental in your price range, tho... rent here is ridiculous and has only gotten worse after so many people lost their houses. Hopefully with some diligent searching you will find the right spot for you.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM

6,808 posts, read 859,539 times
I've always felt the beach was a bit warmer generally in Pismo than at Morro Bay.

We've visited the tide pools at Los Osos, but never beached it there. I do like both places though, and the Central Coast in general.

See this thread for housing options. I found a morro bay 1 br for 650, but not sure if they accept dogs.

central coast, studio for 6, 650ish ?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM

5,295 posts, read 3,303,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I've always felt the beach was a bit warmer generally in Pismo than at Morro Bay.

We've visited the tide pools at Los Osos, but never beached it there. I do like both places though, and the Central Coast in general.

See this thread for housing options. I found a morro bay 1 br for 650, but not sure if they accept dogs.

central coast, studio for 6, 650ish ?
The op posted the question 2 years ago.....

Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM

6,808 posts, read 859,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The op posted the question 2 years ago.....
Oh, didn't look at OP's date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California