U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:49 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,070,387 times
The truth hurts, eh? ..... as the bullwheel turns, (Not that 99.9% of Americans have any idea what a bullwheel is)
Here are some more;
You know you are in Texas when...
The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.The trees are whistling for the dogs.
The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
Hot water now comes out of both taps.
You can make sun tea instantly.
You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.
The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a little chilly.
You discover that in July it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.
You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.
You actually burn your hand opening the car door.
You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"
You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
The potatoes cook underground, so all you have todo is pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper.
Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs.
The cows are giving evaporated milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM

1,681 posts, read 1,636,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
You are wrong. Dallas went Democratic in 2004, and Dallas County went Dem in 2008. Nearly all county-wide offices are held by the Dems, which explains the general decline of Dallas County.

Fort Worth is generally conservative, and the suburbs are very conservative.
San Antonio also voted for Obama in 2008, along with El Paso and some of the counties that are close to the Mexican border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Texas kind of reminds me of Easter Island. It's the kind of place where you go and cut down all the trees and then you say, "Hey! We ain't got no trees to cut down no more! What can we use up next?"

And so on...
You do realize that Texas has trees right?

In fact it is more forest cover than California. If you guys are going to make ignorant comments like that at least visit the state first.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM

5,310 posts, read 3,471,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The truth hurts, eh? ..... as the bullwheel turns, (Not that 99.9% of Americans have any idea what a bullwheel is)
Here are some more;
You know you are in Texas when...
The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.The trees are whistling for the dogs.
The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
Hot water now comes out of both taps.
You can make sun tea instantly.
You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

That one was mildly entertaining.......mildly. You could swap out Texas there for the Carrizo Plain.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

16,589 posts, read 19,085,026 times
Or Fontana in August.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 AM

18,597 posts, read 15,069,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That one was mildly entertaining.......mildly. You could swap out Texas there for the Carrizo Plain.
Having been stationed in Texas twice -- first Fort Bliss, the most misnamed facility in the inventory, and second at Fort Hood -- I found it QUITE amusing!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 AM

5,310 posts, read 3,471,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Having been stationed in Texas twice -- first Fort Bliss, the most misnamed facility in the inventory, and second at Fort Hood -- I found it QUITE amusing!

Yeah, Im a native Californian as you probably know, so I know both sides very well. I wouldnt have much bad to say about either state. California is much more diverse, Texas is much more friendly.

They are the two big kids on the block, everyone takes a side and wants to see them fight....

Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 AM

5,375 posts, read 6,646,338 times
Quote:
Yeah, Im a native Californian as you probably know, so I know both sides very well. I wouldnt have much bad to say about either state. California is much more diverse, Texas is much more friendly.

They are the two big kids on the block, everyone takes a side and wants to see them fight....
Not true. I don't want to see anybody fight. This whole California vs. Texas thing is just a "my ____ is bigger than your ____" kind of thing, very childish.

I'm a native Californian and I don't have a single bad thing to say about Texas. It's just another state in the US and 48 more to choose from, all of them part of America.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:51 AM

18,597 posts, read 15,069,144 times
Quote:
Not me! I think each should be left alone to rise or fall on their own merits, or lack thereof!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,011,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
Thanks! I thought that statement that Texas has more forest land didn't make sense but was too lazy to look it up.

Here's an article from a Dallas newspaper that points out Texas' economic desperation allows it to overlook major air\water polluters. The EPA is cracking down on these criminal companies who could care less what they are doing to the environment. That's why I have such a negative opinion of Texas. Both their "wonderful" governor and state legislature are fighting to defend polluters because they don't want to lose money In California it is just the opposite going back to governors like Reagan who instituted the strictest anti-pollution standards of any place on the earth. And our state legislature, California Coastal Commission and other agencies slap down any industry that carelessly fouls the air\water.

These are the same kind of Texas companies who came into California and tried to get our voters to stop global warming laws. But we value the environment in California unlike Texas.

EPA Pressure Threatens Texas Economic Recovery - Dallas TEA Party | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/tea-party-in-dallas/epa-pressure-threatens-texas-economic-recovery - broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2011 at 06:13 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,123 posts, read 3,924,020 times
Quote:
Im a native Californian and love the state, but you're out of your mind. You are just incorrect on virtually every point, I dont even feel like addressing them.
He is always incorrect about everything he spouts about Texas. If he only could grasp how ignorant he comes across to those who do know what they are talking about maybe he would take the time to educate himself on these matters. People with that mindset are just a waste time and space on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California