Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

277 posts, read 379,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^^thats part of it, but the insurers are also preparing for standardized rates and compensating for expected lower profits.
Why are people mad at Obama for this? Be mad at the greedy scum insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
Why are people mad at Obama for this? Be mad at the greedy scum insurance companies.
Many are mad at Obama, because he pushed something through, that many did not want. I heard from insurers and doctors before anything passed exactly what would happen. And it did. They said; get ready for skyhigh premiums.....

Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 PM

277 posts, read 379,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Many are mad at Obama, because he pushed something through, that many did not want. I heard from insurers and doctors before anything passed exactly what would happen. And it did. They said; get ready for skyhigh premiums.....
More people were for it than against it, and whether he did this or not the greedy trash money driven insurers would find another reason to raise premiums. They\\\'ve been doing it for years. This is another reason why it NEEDED to be overhauled, so it\\\'s better to continue to let 50+ million people go with no insurance out of fear of these scumbags raising rates to keep their 8 figure salaries afloat? They are holding everybody hostage, doctors and patients.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
You want better rates for better coverage allow insurance companies to compete nation wide.

I have just about the lowest rates in the nation for car insurance. My company is base out of R.I. to qualify you can not have had any accidents or tickets in the last five years. However once your a member you are just about assured a policy for life.

Stupid government policies have create the boondoggle we have now. That and a burgeoning illegal alien population.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
More people were for it than against it...
If you are referring to Obamacare you are dreaming or delusional. That is particularly true if you survey people who would have to pay for it. Yes of course all those uninsured people who won't buy health insurance are for it. It's freeeee moneyzzz! Who doesn't like free money?

[mod cut-- refers to deleted post]

Last edited by observer53; 01-12-2011 at 06:26 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If you are referring to Obamacare you are dreaming or delusional. That is particularly true if you survey people who would have to pay for it. Yes of course all those uninsured people who won't buy health insurance are for it. It's freeeee moneyzzz! Who doesn't like free money?
There was a presidential election in 2008 where health care reform was widley debated as a major issue in the campaign.

Obama won both the electoral college and the popular vote. This is not some bait and switch let's plunge the country into a war under false pretenses. Anyone surprised that Obama passed health care reform had to be living under a rock for the last 3 years.

Granted once the sausage starts getting made many people get riled up and uneasy.

That said, there are MANY aspects of the health reform bill that are VERY popular....like eliminating pre-existing conditions as a basis for denying people coverage to name one example.

Free healthcare is of course a misnomer. There is no such thing. Those of us with insurance are PAYING THROUGH the nose.

The uninsured are free riding on the system as it is now (including those who can and those who can not afford to purchase it). They come into the system way down the line in emergency rooms or urgent care centers. The end result is a burden on all of us paying into the insurance pool now.

I think there are many ways to improve upon the legislation (not repeal it). And despite the political spin of the right, Obama is no ideologue. If given real constructive alternatives, I think he would be ready to support such efforts. But with how far right the GOP has drifted I won't be holding my breath for anything constructive.

Ron Wyden, the liberal Orgeon Senator, had an interesting free-market oriented plan he proposed in 2009. He simply did NOT get enough support in either house (from liberals or conservatives).
Sen. Ron Wyden's Third Way - WSJ.com

Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
nope, they are doing what any business would do, taking what they can get before Obama care kicks in, just like the banks did before the credit card rules and policies kicked in. yes, it is the fault of Obama care.

Nita

Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
More people were for it than against it, and whether he did this or not the greedy trash money driven insurers would find another reason to raise premiums. They\\\'ve been doing it for years. This is another reason why it NEEDED to be overhauled, so it\\\'s better to continue to let 50+ million people go with no insurance out of fear of these scumbags raising rates to keep their 8 figure salaries afloat? They are holding everybody hostage, doctors and patients.
you are not serious are you? WHere are you getting your information about more being for it? That is just plain not the case. By the way, many who go without insurance do it by choice.

Bluspark, Obama did not win because of health insurance reform, I doubt a handful voted for him on this issue, plus many did not understand what Government run healthcare would really mean. Obama won because the public was anti Bush thus anti Rpublican, just like Reagan won in 1980 because the public disliked everything Carter stood for.

Nita

Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Healthcare was headed for a crisis in increased costs before Obama ever got elected. Obamacare increased the costs of the healthcare insurance industry by requiring them to accept preexisting conditions, requiring them to carry adult children for more years, etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see those and other parts of Obamacare would increase the business costs of insurance companies and cause them to raise their rates.

It seems to me that my rate increases are partly to cover the costs of those who can't or won't get their own insurance. My health insurance is already taking over half of my income and I'm not even sick. The only good thing for me is that I'm nearing the age to qualify for Medicare and I'm sure that'll allow me to decrease my healthcare costs (even after I buy supplemental).

Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Healthcare was headed for a crisis in increased costs before Obama ever got elected. Obamacare increased the costs of the healthcare insurance industry by requiring them to accept preexisting conditions, requiring them to carry adult children for more years, etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see those and other parts of Obamacare would increase the business costs of insurance companies and cause them to raise their rates.

It seems to me that my rate increases are partly to cover the costs of those who can't or won't get their own insurance. My health insurance is already taking over half of my income and I'm not even sick. The only good thing for me is that I'm nearing the age to qualify for Medicare and I'm sure that'll allow me to decrease my healthcare costs (even after I buy supplemental).
That sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California