Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,333,939 times

Advertisements

NOT! The faces and names may change (rarely) but that's about all that does!

State Senate rakes in expense checks for holiday| PolitiCal | Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,026,329 times
From the article:

"Mark Hedlund, a spokesman for Steinberg, noted that the session allowed Sen. Roderick Wright (D-Inglewood) to use his invocation to honor the civil rights work of King in advance of Monday's holiday, when the Senate will not be meeting.

Hedlund also said that holding the meeting allowed the introduction of a bill read on the floor, and means the desk is open for legislators to introduce other bills throughout the day.

"This is a time of year when bills are being introduced and things are starting to ramp up, and we need to do the business of the house,'' Hedlund said.

He denied that the session was solely called to keep the per diem flowing over the long holiday weekend."

So it was a good use of taxpayer's money to spend all that money so they could do an invocation for MLK day? They couldn't have done it another day when they were doing normal state's business???

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
From the article:

"Mark Hedlund, a spokesman for Steinberg, noted that the session allowed Sen. Roderick Wright (D-Inglewood) to use his invocation to honor the civil rights work of King in advance of Monday's holiday, when the Senate will not be meeting.

Hedlund also said that holding the meeting allowed the introduction of a bill read on the floor, and means the desk is open for legislators to introduce other bills throughout the day.

"This is a time of year when bills are being introduced and things are starting to ramp up, and we need to do the business of the house,'' Hedlund said.

He denied that the session was solely called to keep the per diem flowing over the long holiday weekend."

So it was a good use of taxpayer's money to spend all that money so they could do an invocation for MLK day? They couldn't have done it another day when they were doing normal state's business???
Too funny. I knew Mark. What a good and proper spokesman. That's as real as a politician saying, "Well, yes, they donated to my reelection fund but that has NOTHING to do with how I voted on that bill."

Understand this, bills can still be "put across the desk" without the member. Staffers write them and staffers can convey them to the secretary of the Assembly or Senate for introduction.

Also know that in the overall scheme of things, your "full-time" legislature works 3½ days a week. They shut down on Thursday at lunch time to "allow" the members to return to their districts to pick their constituents pockets so in reality, every weekend is a three-day weekend to them. A check-in session on consists of driving through the underground parking lot of the Capitol and being checked off the list by a clerk.

If only the sheeple REALLY knew!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Also know that in the overall scheme of things, your "full-time" legislature works 3½ days a week. They shut down on Thursday at lunch time to "allow" the members to return to their districts to pick their constituents pockets so in reality, every weekend is a three-day weekend to them. A check-in session on consists of driving through the underground parking lot of the Capitol and being checked off the list by a clerk.
And it just gets better!

Cars for California legislators: Legislators spending taxpayer money for new cars despite push to reduce fleet amid budget crisis. - latimes.com

Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,002,075 times
It would be interesting to compare and contrast this with legislatures in other states.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It would be interesting to compare and contrast this with legislatures in other states.
Go for it. But have your airline barf bag handy! CA has no peers!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,003,706 times
I find it amusing how people focus on these little things that have pretty much no impact on the state budget. Many California's seem to think if you just cut this sort of spending and cut welfare a little bit you can solve the state's budget problems.

This is pennies compared to the amount the state is going to be expected to fork over for pensions when pension funds run dry. Why don't you send 15% of your California pension back to California each month Curmudgeon? You know, since you're so concerned about the government stealing from the tax payers and all.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,527,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Too funny. I knew Mark. What a good and proper spokesman. That's as real as a politician saying, "Well, yes, they donated to my reelection fund but that has NOTHING to do with how I voted on that bill."

Understand this, bills can still be "put across the desk" without the member. Staffers write them and staffers can convey them to the secretary of the Assembly or Senate for introduction.

If only the sheeple REALLY knew!
Have you ever seriously thought about writing a book on California Politics? Or maybe some op eds at least. I am sure that through your contacts you could find a rag willing to post your insights.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Oh, bother! These "little things" are a sure sign of how out of touch, impervious to and uncaring of your legislature is to the reality of the people's disdain and the dire needs of the state - my home state - the state in which the bulk of our families still reside: my three daughters, my wife's two and six grandchildren. Is it symbolic? Yes! Is it also a sign of how disingenuous they are? I think so.

If they can't make fairly simple, even though small, and obvious financial decisions for the sake of California, what makes you or anyone think they can make the big and painful ones. Even now the forces join to make end runs around your Governor's decisions and requests.

I'm glad you find it amusing. I find it disturbing! But perhaps I simply live in more of the real world and care more about the state than you do.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:57 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,002,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I find it amusing how people focus on these little things that have pretty much no impact on the state budget.
It contributes greatly to our annoyance and dissatisfaction with our government. It's sort of like them giving us the single finger extended hand gesture. We are tired of waste and inefficiency, tired of even the appearance of waste and inefficiency. If they're screwing us on the small stuff why should we trust them on the big stuff? Plain and simple, it's an insult.

Let's get rid of Brown. Curmudgeon for Governor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California