Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 PM

21 posts, read 36,293 times

Advertisements

ok, I seriously want to live in Southern California. It doesn't really matter if its San Diego or LA. I have always tried to apply for jobs there, via email / internet, and have had no luck getting phone interviews. I have seriously considered just moving to CA, then looking for a blue collar job, then eventually get an Engineering job. and yes, I do have an Engineering degree.

is this feasible? or will I end up homeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
make sure you have at least enough money to cover living for 6 months, and enough to get home if things don't work out.

its a very competitive job environment out there.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Having an engineering degree gives you a big advantage on finding a job out here. I second the 6mos living expenses + return home money suggestion.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default moving to California – then finding a job there

I never advise anyone to move without a job or enough money to survive for an extended period, but I will wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
You could always come for an "extended vacation" and use that time here to look for a job. If you find one then great, if not you can go back to where you currently live. With an engineering degree you have a good shot of finding some sort of work in your field. And it's rediculiously hard to find a job here, especially entry level, if you don't live here.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,150,827 times
Truth is, a lot of places won't consider hiring you with an out-of-state address. Occasionally people hit gold, but you do realize you're competing against job applicants residing in the most populated state.

I do agree with the other posters. Come out here with enough savings and see.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
I have seriously considered just moving to CA, then looking for a blue collar job, then eventually get an Engineering job. and yes, I do have an Engineering degree.
If you're single and childless, go for it. Worse that can happen is you'll move back from whence you came.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you're single and childless, go for it. Worse that can happen is you'll move back from whence you came.
of course with no family he/she can afford to take a gamble, but you are making it seem like: no big deal!!! Without enough funds to support ones self for several months, including phone service, car insurange, gas, food, utilities and housing, for starters, moving could be a dissaster...

OP, let me ask you, are your familiar with Ca and have you spent a lot of time there? I would suggest, you do, like one person said, take an extended vacation and make sure it is what you think it is, from what you have seen on TV.

From a more positive side; having an engineering degree is a huge plus...

Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Or perhaps get a job with a company - any company, including engineering and/or coffee slinging - that will allow you to transfer to Southern California.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM

21 posts, read 36,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course with no family he/she can afford to take a gamble, but you are making it seem like: no big deal!!! Without enough funds to support ones self for several months, including phone service, car insurange, gas, food, utilities and housing, for starters, moving could be a dissaster...

OP, let me ask you, are your familiar with Ca and have you spent a lot of time there? I would suggest, you do, like one person said, take an extended vacation and make sure it is what you think it is, from what you have seen on TV.

From a more positive side; having an engineering degree is a huge plus...

yes, I am single with no kids.

I have traveled to CA a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California