U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,033,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdima002 View Post
We are looking for an area that is great for families with younger and school-age kids, has good free schools, is progressive (decent amount of fairly liberal-minded people, at least somewhat environmentally friendly, good restaurants-thai, vegetarian, indian...), low crime and pollution AND (yikes, starts to get harder...) not in a major earthquake prone area, gets a good amount of sun but not SUPER hot (ie 100 degrees), gets coolish in the winter, isn't too far to drive to find mountains, snow, and good camping.

I know this is a tall order. Please help, does anything close exist???
As noted before in California you have the choice of the earthquake areas along the coast or the super hot Central Valley.

Good public schools,progressive,liberal,close to many good international restaurants,low crime,no earthquakes,not super hot over 100 (due to 1000ft. above sea level elevation),cool in winter and a short drive to the mountains is a perfect description of the City of Decatur in Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM

13,305 posts, read 14,641,695 times
Based on your extensive requirements, I'd take a look at Chico, Davis and Fair Oaks.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Chico-California.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Davis-California.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fair-Oaks-California.html

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-20-2011 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: added to the alternatives

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:37 PM

3,533 posts, read 6,086,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Yeah, I was thinking of similar places.

We have friends who have school age kids up in the Rocklin/Auburn area. They really seem to like it. They were married in Grass Valley which is a bit further up on the way to Tahoe. It was a nice town to visit. Though I'm not sure how it is to live there in terms of demographics, politics, etc...

We have extended family in Davis and they like living in that area.

I've never visted Chico but heard generally good things about it. Basically a NorCal college town environment.

Derek

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:37 PM

3,533 posts, read 6,086,278 times
Air Quality consideration:

State of the Air 2010 Report Released By American Lung Association

Did you know that air pollution poses a more real threat to Californian lives than natural disasters such as earthquakes ever have? Take a look at just one study which linked 3,812 deaths to respiratory illness stemming from particulate pollution in one year alone. That's more deaths in one year than all the earthquakes deaths ever recorded in California's history.

Los Angeles and Central Valley smog cause more deaths than car accidents

I'm not saying don't worry about the Big One. Just be aware that there are other things which present a more clear and present danger to you and your families health such as the quality of the air, driving a car or eating junk food on a regular basis. Statistics show that those things will kill you far before another natural disaster will such an a volcanic erruption in the PNW, a tornado in the MidWest or an earthquake in CA.

So while escaping one potential threat (earthquakes) you are trading it for a greater one (air pollution). I know everyone has their preferences. Just pick your poison carefully.

http://www.stateoftheair.org/2010/states/california/

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-20-2011 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California