Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 14,604 times

Advertisements

I have been applying for schools in California because I want to move there. But then I wondered, "why?"

The assumption that I had was that the weather is generally warm (at least, no snow) and there is less discrimination based on race and orientation (which is both a problem for me in my current state).

Besides those, I don't know much else. Perhaps even my assumption is false.

Which city, town, or region shall I try to move to after college graduation?
I might take a shot at Malibu, Valencia, Los Angeles, since those are where my colleges are.

Info:

I am single and young, probably will not have the time for children in the future.
I am of Asian phenotype, but it still matters to me if there is racism against blacks and hispanics.
I am an openly gay male.

Work:

I plan to work in the film industry (must I go to a populous city?)

I currently work as a part time artist (digital and traditional), so perhaps I might be able to work from home.

Community:

I prefer a place where education is valued, so I can go to a decent library

I want to live where art and film is valued and taken as legitimate fields

Recreational activities and a "night life" is not that important for me, even though I may need it to socialize nd expand my professional connections with people

Last edited by childmars; 01-19-2011 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Go where you know people. That's how you get jobs and it makes relocating easier if you have some kind of support network in place.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Do you speak Spanish? That is what they speak in Cali

Here is an article that may be of some help.
http://www.drclas.harvard.edu/revista/articles/view/262 (broken link)

Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Go where you know people. That's how you get jobs and it makes relocating easier if you have some kind of support network in place.
Thanks, I have some family members working in Los Angeles, but I still have an open end and a chance to look around.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
I think you want to head toward USC School of Cinematic Arts

Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM

That is actually one of the schools I am applying to!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Almost anything is possible if you have a big enough budget.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:59 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Do you speak Spanish? That is what they speak in Cali

Here is an article that may be of some help.
http://www.drclas.harvard.edu/revista/articles/view/262 (broken link)
Don't be an ignoramus. And what does that article have to do with the film industry other than the independent aspect?

There will be a few idiots out here who will try and talk about you in spanish because they assume that you don't speak it but if that's the reason to learn it then you might as well learn armenian, russian, yiddish, indian, korean, japanese, chinese, tagalog, and several african languages. They're ALL spoken in Cali depending on where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If you're thinking about Valencia then that means that you applied to CalArts. I would say make that your first choice as the connections you will make there are going to be more loyal than at USC. I think it has to do with the fact that Valencia (the city) does not have as much immediate access to "the industry" as USC does.

Once you graduate you will have the opportunity to meet lots of industry flakes but the connections you made in Valencia will always be there.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post

If you're thinking about Valencia then that means that you applied to CalArts. I would say make that your first choice as the connections you will make there are going to be more loyal than at USC. I think it has to do with the fact that Valencia (the city) does not have as much immediate access to "the industry" as USC does.

Once you graduate you will have the opportunity to meet lots of industry flakes but the connections you made in Valencia will always be there.
I thought Calarts had strong connections to the industry even though they cut off Disney.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. Calart is one of my top choices.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by childmars View Post
I have been applying for schools in California...
Nevermind. I thought you were moving to Colombia, in South America. That's where Cali is located. It's the cocaine capital of the world, not something that California residents like being associated with by flippant out-of-staters.

Don't worry about being Asian. We have a large Asian community. Few if any will even notice or care. Best part about it, plenty of Asian food and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California