Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,263 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been looking on the web for a while but DMVs website are not really very helpful and I have tried to call them but I could not have them...

In a sentence, my problem : I am actually still in France, but will come to the USA in a couple of weeks. I would like to buy a car in Miami (unfortunately can't rent, I am only 20...), stay there at the most 2 days and then do a tour of south US in 2-3 weeks. I will then stay in CA for around 6 months, and precisely study at UC Irvine (I already have a reliable address in LA).

Here are my questions:

1- By buying a car in FL (or any other of the 49 states) from a dealer, is it necessary that I fully register the car in this state, pay all the fees, wait for the plate at my CA address and obtain a new certificate of title, etc.... or does the minimum (just the paper of change of ownership) will be ok (the temporary title I guess) ?
I hope the minimum is fine because it seems logic to buy a out of state car nowadays, moreover if it is a rare model (thank you ebay

=> The FORM 84061 entitled Declaration Affidavit For A Motor Vehicle Which Will Be Titled and Registered In Another State or Country of the FL DMV when you buy a car seems to agree with this easiness ? ==> http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BFO/84061.pdf

2- Because I don't know well how it works in the US, the temporary title is the paper signed between the dealer and me the purchaser, isn't it ?

3- Is there any forms from CA's DMV that I have to fill in by the dealer in the other state ?

4- A stupid question, but what is exactly the difference between the "title", the "registration" and the "tag"? I think the tag is the sticker on the plate, the title the paper and registration the procedure or am I completely wrong ???

5- Do "49-state vehicles" rules apply only for new and less than 7500miles cars? Is is ok for more than 10 years old car ?

6- Same question about emissions ? (FYI I would buy a great american car of the mid 90s, a Firebird or Mustang or Camaro...)

7- Is it possible to fully register a car in CA without a driver license?

8- If I could not succeed in the procedures, would that interfere me to sell the car in CA or not ?

Reading previous threads about DMV in CA, I have understood that I need to have tested the car the smog test before going at the DMV and that at some offices, you have to wait too long and others not ! If you have these address for Irvine or around I take !

If you have any answers or one of all my questions, please don't hesitate, I really hope you can help me. I don't know where to find reliable information since DMV is not reachable easily by phone from France and I don't find info about my case.

thanks

Last edited by Frenchy33; 01-21-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 03:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
You will be taxed in Florida and CA.
49 state emissions are all but CA.
Yes, you can register a car without a license but it has to be insured first.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks ferretkona
that is too bad... but do the fees should be the same ?
If I have to be 2 times around 10% of the value of the car, it seriously sucks ! But I remember I have read there is a reduction... hope it will be substantial.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
1. You'll have to talk to the Florida DMV about the registration--you'll need something to drive it cross-country, but you won't be there long enough to finish the title process. They may have some temporary tags or something available.

3. You'll need to turn into the California DMV all the papers--the out of state title, bills of sale, etc.

4. The title is the ownership document. The registration is a card that you receive every year when you pay the renewal fees. The tag is the sticker that is placed on the license plate every year and is given to you with the registration card.

5. Yes, 49 state vehicle is less than 10 years and/or 7500 miles that DOESN'T MEET CALIFORNIA EMISSION STANDARDS. When you purchase the vehicle in Florida, look under the hood at the emission label to see if it says "50 states."

6. Pretty much all American cars meet emission standards for California--again, that information will be on the emission label.

7. Yes, you can title and register a car in California without a drivers license. However, if you drive a car in California without a valid drivers license, it will be towed and impounded for 30 days and can cost as much as $1000 to redeem.

8. Cars can generally always be titled--it's just how much hassle is involved, and how long it will take.

Taxes--if you pay sales tax in Florida, you just fill in the amount you paid on the California form, and if the California tax is a bit higher, pay the difference. You never pay twice.

The fees are currently 1.65% of the value of the vehicle, plus about $60 for county fees.

If you go to the California DMV site, and click on "DMV Offices" you can look at the ones near Irvine, and it will show you the wait times for people with appointments and for people without. You can make the appointment using the web site, or just check wait times and then head over to the office.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 AM

Thank you very much cb73, I think you have answered very well all my questions !

Then I just have to continue trying to call the Florida DMV even if it is not easy to have them, but I know better the situation now, so it will be easy to ask what I need.

Just another small question, about the fees. The DMV fees are 1.65% + 60$. I have read something wrong and a lot higher (7-8% +100-150$). It was maybe the tax that you pay at the purchase. About that, how much are these taxes ? around 5%, 8%, 10%, 15% or even higher than the purchase price of the car?
In France all the prices are listed with taxes, but not in the US and I don't know all the percentage and if it change for certain type of goods.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
If you don't pay sales tax on the car in Florida, then the sales tax will be whatever your California county tax is. I think Los Angeles/Orange County is about 9%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California