Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:09 AM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times

Advertisements

It is so awesome having a STATE MANDATED break every two hours.

I used to have the same job in Texas and we never got a break unless the shift was more than 12 hours. It was exhausting.

I just finished a 4 hour shift (with a break, obviously), and it didn't seem like 4 hours. The time passes so much faster when I know I can take a break relatively soon (instead of tomorrow )

It's really sad that Commiefornia has to pass a law MANDATING breaks (I love typing that ) because employers are too retarded to realize that giving your employees breaks makes them much better workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
The law is a joke. It was put into effect because of two law suits that came about. We are now forced to not only clock out for lunch but make sure that we clock in. Before the law took effect we had more breathing room. Now we have a 3 minute window to clock back in from lunch. Also our breaks are regulated now. We had more freedom before. In the past someone could use both their break and lunch time to visit our on site gym. That gave you an hour to put in a workout and get cleaned up to go back to work. sure not a lot of time but something. Now we are forced to take the breaks at set times. This takes more freedom away from employees than it gives us.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
I was not aware of a new mandatory break law for 2011. Did I miss something?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I was not aware of a new mandatory break law for 2011. Did I miss something?
no, it's not new

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The law is a joke. It was put into effect because of two law suits that came about. We are now forced to not only clock out for lunch but make sure that we clock in. Before the law took effect we had more breathing room. Now we have a 3 minute window to clock back in from lunch. Also our breaks are regulated now. We had more freedom before. In the past someone could use both their break and lunch time to visit our on site gym. That gave you an hour to put in a workout and get cleaned up to go back to work. sure not a lot of time but something. Now we are forced to take the breaks at set times. This takes more freedom away from employees than it gives us.
That's because break and lunch are two different things.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
That's because break and lunch are two different things.
Doesn't matter. The law also regulates lunch time as well. Before we used to swipe out for lunch and the computer would log us back in. Now we need to do that on our own because of the law. In the past you could combine the break and lunch time, but the new law has time lines that need to be followed. We allready had laws reguarding breaks and lunch time on the books, why mess with something that was not broken? To tell you the truth the reason, because of the lawsuit that took place. Two individuals sued because they claim that their breaks and lunches were not being timed correctly. For example one employee claimed that they were not getting the mandentory 30 minutes of lunch time and only getting 25 minutes. Another employee at another firm brought a suit that claimed the two breaks each day were not happening. Employers that have a certain amount of employees can be fined if they do not make sure that they have the breaks and lunches.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. The law also regulates lunch time as well. Before we used to swipe out for lunch and the computer would log us back in. Now we need to do that on our own because of the law. In the past you could combine the break and lunch time, but the new law has time lines that need to be followed. We allready had laws reguarding breaks and lunch time on the books, why mess with something that was not broken?
Next stop, all that stays gone and more - most likely union dues.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
This law is cool, and I like the idea because I like taking breaks. lol. BUT...who's to say the boss just wont bust your ass and push you to work faster in the 2 hours you do work? That's what I would worry about.

Same thing when a state does a Minimum wage increase, the business usually gets rid of a couple people and then gives the remaining workers a piece of the others work, making them work harder for the same amount of money.
There is no way to fix these problems. The employer wins.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
We are now forced to not only clock out for lunch but make sure that we clock in.
This is new? I was forced to do that 7 years ago at my C-shift electronics job in San Clemente.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 PM

Never in my life have I ever clocked out for lunch but not clocked in. That seems very easy to cheat (i.e., why bother with a timesheet in the first place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: