U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 PM

3,814 posts, read 1,932,838 times

Advertisements

[quote=Don9;17632902]Most private companies have switched to 401K. There are some people who participated in a pension program that ended and they will get some money from that pension but it will be combined with the 401K and social security.[/quo

Of course, I answered your absurd points earlier. However, understand, I do not, nor do many persons pay into Social Security. I stopped paying into Social Security in 1989 and I do not have enough points to get SS. Now what?

YOU and others, want to take a retirement system away from us, we and, moreover YOU agreed to. Now what?

I gurantee you won't answer the question.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM

4,354 posts, read 2,448,070 times
[quote=Phil306;17638619]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Most private companies have switched to 401K. There are some people who participated in a pension program that ended and they will get some money from that pension but it will be combined with the 401K and social security.[/quo

Of course, I answered your absurd points earlier. However, understand, I do not, nor do many persons pay into Social Security. I stopped paying into Social Security in 1989 and I do not have enough points to get SS. Now what?

YOU and others, want to take a retirement system away from us, we and, moreover YOU agreed to. Now what?

I gurantee you won't answer the question.
My 401K suffered a loss due to the economy ... are you going to pay me for my losses?

My retirement is paid through a fund like what CalPERS originally had and it could run out of money before I retire. Are you going to make up the difference?

Everyone is talking about ending social security ... Are you going to pay to make up the loss?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 PM

3,814 posts, read 1,932,838 times
[quote=Don9;17639645]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

My 401K suffered a loss due to the economy ... are you going to pay me for my losses?

My retirement is paid through a fund like what CalPERS originally had and it could run out of money before I retire. Are you going to make up the difference?

Everyone is talking about ending social security ... Are you going to pay to make up the loss?
Not my problem or issue, that is yours. NO ONE promised you, via a contract, in writing, you would get anything. YOU and the people of California promised, in writing, on paper, you would give them X, Y, and Z. So, you are typical liar, like all people.

Remember this when you call for your house, which is burning. The 65 yr old fireman will be taking his time getting ready. And when you wife is being raped, the 62 yr old cop will be taking his time too.

Hey, YOU don't want to pay ten cents more; live with it. Its coming. You gave these pensions and people relied on them. Now you don't want to pay? Suffer. You will and so shall others.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM

[quote=Phil306;17640181]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post

Not my problem or issue, that is yours. NO ONE promised you, via a contract, in writing, you would get anything. YOU and the people of California promised, in writing, on paper, you would give them X, Y, and Z. So, you are typical liar, like all people.

Remember this when you call for your house, which is burning. The 65 yr old fireman will be taking his time getting ready. And when you wife is being raped, the 62 yr old cop will be taking his time too.

Hey, YOU don't want to pay ten cents more; live with it. Its coming. You gave these pensions and people relied on them. Now you don't want to pay? Suffer. You will and so shall others.
It's your false accusations and your threats and your blaming voters that makes it real easy to say ... too bad and don't look my way for support!
Call CalPERS and complain. They desperately wanted full control of the pension fund, they convinced the voters to vote for it and they got it.

California voters are not responsible for CalPERS mistakes

Old 01-30-2011, 01:23 AM

2,312 posts, read 1,662,342 times
If you know anything about contracts.. you know that they can be broken. If you haven't been paying attention, law makers are hurriedly pushing laws to allow states and municipalities to declare bankruptcy. In bankruptcy court, contracts get sliced up and you get pennies on the dollar. So no, you 3 year old.. Just because someone promised, doesn't mean you are going to get your cookie. Broke is broke and you were too busy watching American idol while you continued selfish demands for payouts bankrupted your pension. Want to blame someone, blame every last vampire of your union.

So no dude.. Given the activity in bond markets... They're saying, we wont be paying for it... But by all means, continue trying to make us and you'll find people and businesses seeking greener pastures. California isn't the only state in America. But whatever, markets will deal w/ you before it comes to that .. And because there are other states who have their sh*t together w/ lower taxes, they do not want you begging the federal reserve for a bailout and they are passing laws to ensure you don't.

Senate leaders eye option of state bankruptcy | Reuters
State Bankruptcy Weighed by Republicans Blocking Aid (Update3) - Bloomberg.com
California debt rating cut as cash crunch looms | Reuters

Brown's California Budget Must Shun Gimmicks, Bond Investors Say - BusinessWeek

Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 AM

703 posts, read 1,076,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEm View Post
I just want to say one thing in defense of state employees. Some of us took a state job ONLY because of the supposed security/stability found in a pension. I doubt half of you people complaining would want to do my job and at my pay. Some state workers may be overpaid but NOT MOST OF US.
That's a joke, right? Public employees make, on average, higher wages than their private sector counterparts. Much, much, more once health and pension benefits are considered.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:33 AM

703 posts, read 1,076,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I have no problem with educators receiving retirement benefits; after all, they've paid into an account that's giving them, at the most, 65-69% of their meager paychecks for all those years of working....and serving the public.
I suggest you actually look at public teacher's paychecks. They aren't meager. Even if they were, so what? We have several candidates for every teacher position. That says teacher's wages should go even lower, until there is a balance between available slots and candidates. Same goes for cops and firefighters. Four or five eligible candidates per job? Way too many, slash wages and benefits until you have closer to 1 or 2 per job. If the cops don't like it, they can quit. Obviously their replacement thinks the new wages and benefits are adequate, otherwise they wouldn't apply.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM

5,566 posts, read 5,336,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I suggest you actually look at public teacher's paychecks. They aren't meager.
I suggest YOU look at them. My sister, two neighbors, a brother-in-law and three of our friends are teachers. Two of our kids' teachers have just retired. NONE of them are overpaid. Where do you get your information?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,549,812 times
Consider this, 4 year computer engineering degree from Cal Poly, 23 years old, starting pay, $70,000 a year.

5 year teaching credential, 20 years in the class room, 44 years old, pay, around $50,000 a year.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Consider this, 4 year computer engineering degree from Cal Poly, 23 years old, starting pay, $70,000 a year.

5 year teaching credential, 20 years in the class room, 44 years old, pay, around $50,000 a year.
That's bull$hit! The average starting BSEE is 60K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California