U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM

19,120 posts, read 10,636,448 times
Here a figure 4 can be a widow maker, but made by man. They can be worse than that too. I have no idea what ethnicy creates or grows here. I would guess whites, but I can be very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,105,573 times
The town lies in a valley at 6,000 feet. Peaks rise to 9 and 10,000 around it, which is low for the Sierra.

I used an old Primus for years, I had a cool pressure pump that screwed into the fill, I graduated from that to an MSR, and now use the MSR Pocket Rocket.

Tents actually work well, snow is only 7-10% water. When I guided we used the High and Light concept, a Chounard Megamid, held up by adjustable ski poles, set in the rim of a shovel dug hole, the blocks taken out made a wind break on all four sides with room to walk out. We, two guides and three or four clients would construct it, gather a bunch of snow into garbage bags, get in out sleeping bags, and use a hanging Alpine stove hanging from the ceiling, all snow melting and cooking was done from inside while we were in our bags, we did not carry snow boots or warm jackets, as when we were not exerting, we were in our bags.

We would do 6 day, 70 mile trips with less than 30 lbs packs. This allowed our down hills to be fun.

On my own trips if the weather was good, we just slept out, and cooked breakfast before getting up.

If the weather was bad we dug snow caves. Snow caves are cool, light a candle and close the end and it would get to 30 -40 inside. Remembering not to stay in so long your heat created an ice layer on the sides and roof, now that, is impervious to outside air.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,363,130 times
What a shock, the newbies and former banned members derailing the original topic.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 PM

Little blue tin box rig if I recall, but I never had one. Rocket in a box if I recall correctly.

Maybe in the west tents work Not here, You get 2 maybe 3 feet in no wind and you are burried and can suffocate to death. if you don't getting out is easy, but if you die thar's no getting out.

I found that out the hard way. I fell asleep with a candle in a tin and on a pad in a floor zip out. I woke up feeling ill and the dammed candle was out. I was confused, lack of O2, then I found I was burried alive. I have no idea how much time I had left, I just consider I was lucky and resigned my face to the snow ever since.

My bivey does have a screen for bugs and a rod to hold that part up and so open. The rod is a gizzmo I fixed from some other tent like device and i don't recall what now. Likely a 'find' in the used gear sales at IME or Ragged Mt.

Might be I don't undertand that tent too, Mine have been all one man rigs and no one assists nuthin. if there is a party and men and then a big tent that can't get buried, that's something I don't know about.

I like waking to see stars, It p*sses me off to be awakened by the moon when i think it's the sun and i still gotta take a leak

The point: Here you do it my way. There I screech and whine.

See how nice that works?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
What a shock, the newbies and former banned members derailing the original topic.

Huh What?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Well Mac, you have to admire the intellectual depth of NorCalDude's post.

Some people, not NorCalDude of course, that would be insulting, live under bridges and eat passing goats.

I find it amusing that there are those who will call themselves a dude, a dude is a gunsal, and it is not a term of praise.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Well Mac, you have to admire the intellectual depth of NorCalDude's post.

Some people, not NorCalDude of course, that would be insulting, live under bridges and eat passing goats.

I find it amusing that there are those who will call themselves a dude, a dude is a gunsal, and it is not a term of praise.
Though I have attended a reputable school, even a plebeian can see the asinine dribble that consists of your short posting tenure here.

Stick to the high and the light beer. I'll stay sober and enjoy a draft. You should show us more pictures of internet adds and claim it is you again like you did with the horse back riding. Like many others have done you=ignore.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
You should show us more pictures of internet adds and claim it is you again like you did with the horse back riding.
Got ya there me bucko, the other two geniuses that called me on that got a sequence of PMs with more photos from me, showing where those photos fit into my sequence, apparently, like you, they did not have the critical thinking skills that would allow them to figure out that indeed, the photos on that website came from me. I am sorry, you must be a Conservative.

So here is your task, sit quietly, pay attention, see if you can learn something,

See the castle in the background, Puivert, same as in the photos you think I stole from someone elses website, note the orange rain coat and the helmet on the woman, same as in the website.

So, back under the bridge with you, and next time, get up a little earlier, hit the library, get educated, might make it difficult to be a conservative.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Heh trying to save face after being caught in a lie, priceless.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Are you dumb? Look at the sequence, you want some more of the 300 plus images I took on that trip?

Funny thing, you proved my point, you will cling to false beliefs rather than admit facts, truely conservative.

Mac, incase you followed this little exchange, you can see the posts of one of the 20%.

Sometime ago I posted some photos from my wife's and my horse trip to France, used as advertising by the broker. One of the 20% followed the image address back to the site and reported back that I had stolen the images from that site, beyond their comprehension that the photos were taken by me in the first place.

One thing to keep in mind, is that i am pretty darned honest about my posts and facts, that they seem so outlandish to people without imagination or creativity, is strictly humor.

Like your photo in the indian outfit, the urbanites of modern America, have a tough time with wild land reality, among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California