Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Mac, the 2nd amendment is not a conservative vs rational issue, the conservatives want play it that way, but, there are plenty of non conservatives who enjoy guns and hunting, my wife, she is the liberal around here, and she has her armory (keeps me polite).

I like that sailing canoe, a great advance over paddling.

Null, on our pack trips we gain weight! Now that I have my new dutch oven, we gonna eat even better.

My boy and I were camped on a huge lake in Canada, we paddled out in our canoe from our forest service campsite and were blown gently down wind, and then the wind was not so gentle, and that camp was the only civilization on that 20 mile long lake, he was only 10, so the paddling detail fell to me, I pushed that canoe up wind with the wind trying to turn her sideways, I had to paddle past camp and let the wind blow her back onto the shore.

That is what got me interested in Sailboats!!
I dunno we could be very different in poly tics. I don't much like any tics atall.

You canoe ride in CDN seems a bit like mine on lake aziscohos maine. A sort of inland fiord like lake but not deep, since it used to be a river and is dammed up by man to be what it is.

It's around 18 miles long. Hit it with a T storm out of the south and breezed right up that lake in under 3 hours. Spent some days poking around with my brother, and hit a Monkeybec Norther to blow us back down. We each had a canoe, and we each had the same make and brand of out board. That norther took out my brothers mast, and my engine quit

He took the western shore out of the white caps, and i took the center line down the lake and we both met at the pull out at the same time.

I got slides of that too. I kept my minolta in a ammo box and had to time when to undo the latch and make a grab for the camera, set it in my lap smash thru the wave I over took and drive into the next take a picture and set the camera in my lap and drive into the next wave.

A dead straight run down hill and hard right to the gunawhales. If it blew any harder i would have to reduce sail. I was real nervous about getting a gull wing jibe. But that never happend.

mid night here. Gotta git....

I hope I don't get anyone but me in any problems. What happens in Ca isn't much of my bee's wax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Null, on our pack trips we gain weight! Now that I have my new dutch oven, we gonna eat even better.
Doc says I need to put a few pounds on these days ... I'll be there

Quote:
My boy and I were camped on a huge lake in Canada, we paddled out in our canoe from our forest service campsite and were blown gently down wind, and then the wind was not so gentle, and that camp was the only civilization on that 20 mile long lake, he was only 10, so the paddling detail fell to me, I pushed that canoe up wind with the wind trying to turn her sideways, I had to paddle past camp and let the wind blow her back onto the shore.

That is what got me interested in Sailboats!!
How many times have I walked my canoe upwind, wading along the shore? Run outta fingers -- and toes ... Wind and canoes is an interesting dynamic and not too romantic. (that's part Haiku for you)

But then: sailing upwind is no thrill-ride for speed demons either ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
null geo, what got you so tangled up? That's hard man. Been there got that t shirt.
Which time? ... bad landings of crippled aircraft ... attempted murder (on me -- not everybody appreciates my humor, I guess), and bicycle / automobile argument (guess who was the bicycle?) ... there's more, mostly sports, but those don't make the better stories.

Quote:
To me this CD site is a bar, just really big.
Quote:
the forum is cheap entertainment, without it I might be down at Bills Place singing Karoke
This has been my contention all along ... I don't drink, smoke dope, or frequent bars ... boring guy ... live in the forest on an island an hour from town ... winter days are short up here and this year I stayed north to support wife and family through a few challenges ... so boredom brings me down to the virtual barstool some evenings .... another month, when longer daylight comes back, you won't have to put up with me any more at Virtual Bill's Bar)

Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I dunno we could be very different in poly tics. I don't much like any tics atall.

You canoe ride in CDN seems a bit like mine on lake aziscohos maine. A sort of inland fiord like lake but not deep, since it used to be a river and is dammed up by man to be what it is.

It's around 18 miles long. Hit it with a T storm out of the south and breezed right up that lake in under 3 hours. Spent some days poking around with my brother, and hit a Monkeybec Norther to blow us back down. We each had a canoe, and we each had the same make and brand of out board. That norther took out my brothers mast, and my engine quit

He took the western shore out of the white caps, and i took the center line down the lake and we both met at the pull out at the same time.

I got slides of that too. I kept my minolta in a ammo box and had to time when to undo the latch and make a grab for the camera, set it in my lap smash thru the wave I over took and drive into the next take a picture and set the camera in my lap and drive into the next wave.

A dead straight run down hill and hard right to the gunawhales. If it blew any harder i would have to reduce sail. I was real nervous about getting a gull wing jibe. But that never happend.

mid night here. Gotta git....

I hope I don't get anyone but me in any problems. What happens in Ca isn't much of my bee's wax.
"That norther took out my brothers mast, and my engine quit "
Got me laughing out loud there Mac.

As for politics, you haven't caught my posts in the past ... summary: politicians are a bunch of sideshow barkers and I'm not interested in what's inside any of their tents!

As for pictures: I don't have hardly any of my life really ... never got the camera bug thing going ... other people have caught me in some interesting moments and spread the humor around ... but I don't have much to put on line ... just some tame landscape shots of the cabin I built and live in, and my island ... wife put them on my computer for me. I paint pictures with words and that's going to have to do it.

Yep, late, nite y'all ... was a fun evening and looking forward to no hangover tmw.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
This article is about California, We are talking about California , this is the California forum. I live in California. There was a vote to legalize it in California. Go smack yourself.
Cartels grow in california because of the weather and they can get away with it not just to sell in california, legalizing weed in California wont change that.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Good lord! After four pages of back-and-forth machismo posturing, chest-beating and knuckle dragging by the few trying to impress themselves, or the one in three persons, isn't it time to lock down this thread?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Heh ... no, didn't go saltwater swimming in Calais ... lived in a cabin on Grand Lake ... 20 minutes by fast power boat or short hop seaplane ride from the bustling town of Grand Lake Stream, pop, 300 (in its heyday) ... and I was a sprout back then so swam bravely in the lake daily ... canoed through the bogs and fished till ALL the worms were drowned most days ... was a cook.

Great shot of you in the canoe ... I do still have one expedition canoe here with me on the island I take out ... it has a little lateen sail rig with leeboards and even a rudder (which rudder doesn't work worth a damn!) ... sails for sour owl crap but the canoe is nostaliga ... it is decked over with three cockpit holes kind of like a giant kayak ... some nuts have paddled this type from here in Puget Sound to Alaska and back ... they are very stable.

My first sailing canoe adventure was I rigged an Army surplus poncho to a sapling lashed to the thwarts of my Grumman aluminum 15 footer ... it was a hoot ... I was about 14 ... and yep, got pretty wet dumping and bailing and learning how ponchos don't make good square sails and canoes aren't real stable under sail without outriggers

Um, let's see about staying on topic: how about this: if those Indios / Mexicans knew how to canoe and cold weather camp maybe California wouldn't have such a problem all concentrated in the one state ... as the growers could disappear among the lakes in Maine and canoe their harvest to trucks on the logging roads. -- Does that work?

If i sail that canoe of mine thru the panama canal to south Caliwagg, I could transport sum illegal wild woodland weeds somewhere.

Don't sound like much of a plan to me In that pic, it's Sebago Lake and i got 3 rudders down in the botton to this day

That mast I still have but the mast I use now is Balsam Fir, wood like God intended. More or less I got it 'ballanced right' other than it has the nasty habit of turning down hill left to it's own.

The funny thing is it will go in 0 wind and no sail up and you can steer figure 8's but of course it takes a long time.

Many things got changed, some things got changed back. I had a much bigger sail a while, took it in the salty pond and lived to tell. In fact it acted all nice and I thought that was gonna be 'It', but a day came where things got wat out of hand not far from shore, which made me real happy that didn't happen out splittin Big Misery from Little Misery Islands off Beverly Mass.

So the sail went back to the first one I made and it's a fitting 1926 pillow ticking, I took from a dumpster when the Eagle Mt House in Jackson NH was worked over to be more modern.

I like my po' mans yachet. It can go where the big boys can't, and I kinda like it that way.

Yestery i was down south in NH. Stopped by Kittery tradin' Post. They got a 26 ft Canout De' Nord hangin on the wall all fixed up apx 1920's style and loaded hanging there sideways. Mint condition too. I think it's a 'White' but it might be old Town.

I'ld like to play around somewhere with that. I bet I could pack 2 tons of the wild woodland weed in that too.

not that i would want to.

On edit:

I read back some. Nullgeo, Yeah I been beat up myself a few times, only my x ever tried to murder me, but that's common in the USA ain't

I am a lot more like the energizer bunny than a puffed up chest beater. I only weigh 150 pound in summer and get fat in winter around 155 max, mostly that because my long hairs get wet being outside.

I don't do that hang over thing at all anymore, which when you boil it down means I refuse fast food from Micky Dee's. Ain't stepped a foot in one since before 1990.

It took a while but I found eatting there can and will give me a bad hangover, and man if I am gonna have a bad hangover i am gonna do something a lot more expensive than eat poision.

Looks like I should bail out of here. Like I said Caliwagg isn't much of my bee's wax. I seem to be causing a problem to others and I never liked to do that.

I might start a anything goes thread somewhere in the NH section, since there is no OFF Topics lounge on CD. The OP is a mod and hasn't even come back to bother.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 01-27-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Good lord! After four pages of back-and-forth machismo posturing, chest-beating and knuckle dragging by the few trying to impress themselves, or the one in three persons, isn't it time to lock down this thread?
Heh ... Exactly what is it that bothers you about a couple three guys having some laughs and good-natured repartee' -- including making a few humorous cracks here and there back to the topic? No one criticizing you in those 3 - 4 pages of laughs. So, is it just that you have nothing to contribute that bugs you? Or that .highnlite is having a good time? If you don't like reading about the kinds of fun some of us have that maybe isn't your cuppa tea (or that you can't pull off? ... maybe you haven't the knuckles some of us 'apes' do?) -- hey, don't read it! Enjoy your view of the lake man. Have a nice day. Really.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
... only my x ever tried to murder me, but that's common in the USA ain't

I am a lot more like the energizer bunny than a puffed up chest beater. I only weigh 150 pound in summer and get fat in winter around 155 max, mostly that because my long hairs get wet being outside.

I might start a anything goes thread somewhere in the NH section, since there is no OFF Topics lounge on CD. The OP is a mod and hasn't even come back to bother.
lol again ... I don't have an ex, so that's not who tried to off me ... that incident happened during night ops overseas about a couple hundred years ago when some fellas -- on our side (!) -- took an exception to me ... war isn't all Rambo hero sh8t ... and there's nothing friendly about 'friendly fire' ... nevermind

Weigh in at 155 myself these days ... need some of that mountain cooking .highnlite was talking about ... fatten me up a bit so I don't blow away at sea

Don't pay mind to the occasional grouch posting here ... maybe they don't like skinny folks (?) ... I had some rep points thrown at me last night for the laughs we were generating. But if you start a thread on the NH site, DM me an alert and I'll enjoy reading your rambles.

*Alert* -- Meanwhile, back to the OP's topic: um, just legalize it all ... let people fog their minds if that's what they want to do with their lives. Anyway, when was the last time you saw a guy take a bong-hit and then go beat his wife, kick his dog, whip the kids, grab his pistol and go shooting at the stars in the back yard? Happens every night when people drink.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Heh ... Exactly what is it that bothers you about a couple three guys having some laughs and good-natured repartee' -- including making a few humorous cracks here and there back to the topic? No one criticizing you in those 3 - 4 pages of laughs. So, is it just that you have nothing to contribute that bugs you? Or that .highnlite is having a good time? If you don't like reading about the kinds of fun some of us have that maybe isn't your cuppa tea (or that you can't pull off? ... maybe you haven't the knuckles some of us 'apes' do?) -- hey, don't read it! Enjoy your view of the lake man. Have a nice day. Really.
Actually, I accomplished what seems to be beyond all your abilities years ago. I conquered the challenge of walking upright. Outgrew little boy ,macho crowing as well.

As for the rest, that's what PMs are for. It saves others from having to listen to the prolonged horn-blowing.

Now back to your master you go!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Ok, let's reel it back in fellas.

I've seen some grows here in S Cal. I know that there is far more timber to the North but we still have some extremely remote areas down here. Most of the activity we get is moving through and it's a mix of drugs and human smuggling mostly in areas that skirt the check points. I'd like to hear about some first hand contact with smugglers and grow ops.

Oh, and I bet we can do it without mud slinging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California