Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times

Advertisements

Amazing how few kids are going to 4 years out of high school, even in upscale areas. Is it the cost? Or is California's youth failing to measure up?

See which high schools send the most students to California colleges - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Amazing how few kids are going to 4 years out of high school, even in upscale areas.
I don't understand this sentence.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I don't understand this sentence.
I don't know what to tell you, it is in English. Would you prefer Spanish or French?

Quote:
Also, normally numbers under 10 are spelled out ("four" instead of "4").
What does this have to do with the topic? Or are you just being a rude OC mommy?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
You misunderstood the data. My old High School, DeLaSalle in Concord Ca always runs about 95% to 4 year universities, on this chart it says 49%. Why? Because it counts only CALIFORNIA colleges. Not shown are the
people that go out of state, which many students at upscale high schools do.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Quote:
I don't know what to tell you, it is in English. Would you prefer Spanish or French?
How about 3rd grade English?

What does

"Amazing how few kids are going to 4 years out of high school, even in upscale areas."

mean? It doesn't make sense.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
You misunderstood the data. My old High School, DeLaSalle in Concord Ca always runs about 95% to 4 year universities, on this chart it says 49%. Why? Because it counts only CALIFORNIA colleges. Not shown are the
people that go out of state, which many students at upscale high schools do.
Yea it does not show out of state schools. With private schools like De La Salle, you got more kids who's parents can afford to send their kids out of state, but most Ca public schools are sending a majority of kids to schools in California after high school.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
How about 3rd grade English?

What does

"Amazing how few kids are going to 4 years out of high school, even in upscale areas."

mean? It doesn't make sense.

If you can't follow the conversation you'll just have to watch. If you want to show off some bizarre grammar fetish or you have issues with the way lay people type, take it to the education forum.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Amazing how few kids are going to 4 years out of high school, even in upscale areas. Is it the cost? Or is California's youth failing to measure up?

See which high schools send the most students to California colleges - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee
Why go to a 4 year university when going to a 2 year university and transferring gets you the same piece of paper from the same institution for many thousands less? The numbers bear this out, as indicated, as well. These kids are more intelligent about where they want to spend their money instead of going into extra massive debt for no reason.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Why go to a 4 year university when going to a 2 year university and transferring gets you the same piece of paper from the same institution for many thousands less? The numbers bear this out, as indicated, as well. These kids are more intelligent about where they want to spend their money instead of going into extra massive debt for no reason.
I had a friend in college who was a transfer. Saved a good deal of money, but his biggest complaint was that he did not get the letters of rec he wanted nor the connections to professors that other students had because he had such little time. Transfers have to hit the ground running

Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Well I'm not sure what to say. In my husbands graduating class in 1973 only about half a dozen kids went to a 4 year university immediately after graduation. It was a solid, but working class, public high school in CA. I think more kids go today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California